How safe is the Airport Bus in Barcelona?

Ok just how safe is the Airport Bus that takes you to Plaça de Catalunya and then walk with bags about a block (at most 2 blocks) on La Rambla? Would a single female traveler be ok or should I take a taxi? My flight arrives at least 2 hours (I arrive a 9am) before my fellow cruisers that are in my group and I don't want to stay at the airport waiting on them. I want to go ahead and get to the precruise hotel (even though I most likely won't be able to get into a room I can have at least have them store my luggage) and wait there.

You can scout out the situation with the Aerobus before making a decision....you pay the driver, so no need to commit to taking it before seeing how it looks.

When we took it, it was less than half full, so we were able to sit close to the section where our luggage was. If it looks too full, you can opt for a cab.

Last November we took the bus from airport to downtown and felt perfectly safe. If your hotel is not far from the square then I would recommend it. You will have to take your bags to the hotel, so if you have lots of luggage consider a taxi.

Greg

I don't think you will have any problem. Just sit down where you can keep an eye on your luggage. Its about a 25 minute trip and you can't beat the price. My wife and I felt completely secure. Tim and Cathy

My 79 year old Mum and I have taken the airport bus twice. The other travellers were all tourists with their own bags. We were warned to be especially careful when loading the bags onto the bus - keep an eye on them all the time and you'll be fine

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try out the Bus. My hotel (Royal Ramblas) is only about a block or two away. Yes I'll have 2 big pieces and a carry on but everything can connect to one another and I'll stay aware of my surroundings when walking from the bus to the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the airport bus and wlaked two blocks to our hotel Apsis Atrium (opposite side from Las Ramblas). We had no problems. WE kept an eye on the luggage on the bus and during the walk. But noone tried anything. You should be fine.

How much is the bus and can the driver make change? The only Euros we will have will be the ones we get at an ATM at the airport and not sure of what kind of bills it will give us. Any other suggestions?

Hi Prophotogirl

Our family of four and five bags took this bus and it was perfectly safe.

I would suggest wheeling your luggage in front of you while walking on the Ramblas as opposed to behind you. The pickpockets (including suitcase pockets) are experts in Barcelona

We have been to Barcelona twice now and the first time we didn't see any pickpocketing but the second time, a young girls purse was taken from the internet cafe and we saw what seemed to be some pickpockets at work. Keep all your valuables in unusual places and where you can see them.

Archived