NZ/Australia Ports - Dock or Tender?

kac

A friend and I are considering a New Zealand/Australia cruise in October of 2006 on the Statendam. We would be interested in knowing whether the ports are large enough to accomodate docking the Statendam or if there would be a number of tender ports involved.

Missing a port in ehr Caribbean is disappointing but I tell myself I'll be back. I don't know that I'd be as confidant about making in back to New Zealand. I still regret missing Santorini because of rough seas and that was 26 years ago!

The itinerary includes Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch and Dunedin in New Zealand and Burnie (Tazmania) and Melbourne in Australia.

If anyone has any information about docking vs. tendering at thes ports I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

None of those are tender ports, the only one we had was Bay of Islands which you won't go to. Most are working ports except for Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney. Christchurch and Dunedin ports are out of the main city area but there will be plenty of transport available.

I have pics of some of the ports in my signature if you're interested. I also reviewed some of these ports as well, just check here in the ports of call section for my post.

Kim

Kim is right on.

You will dock in all these ports.

The only call in NZ that requires tendering is the Bay of Islands.

Milford Sound has the option of leaving/joining the ship for overnight excursions,but only those booked on the tours will leave/join the ship via a local tourist boat.

I am booked on Statendam for the Dec 2005 Xmas/ New Year cruise and we will be visiting the same ports.

David.

boards,

It is never too early to book a cruise. Especially, this one. We just booked for our Feb 06 cruise last month and the cabin selection wasn't that great. I would go ahead and book it, since you can always cancel it at a later date if you change your mind. At least by booking now, you should have your pick of cabins.

boards,

It is never too early to book a cruise. Especially, this one. We just booked for our Feb 06 cruise last month and the cabin selection wasn't that great. I would go ahead and book it, since you can always cancel it at a later date if you change your mind. At least by booking now, you should have your pick of cabins.

I was looking at a Jan/2006 Princess in Aus/NZ a couple of months ago and it was sold out!! Now we are going to try for Mar/2006. If the cruise line has the sailing on the books IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY!!! and just remember you only have to put a deposit down and can cancell up until final payment. So what do you have to lose???

Archived