Wanting to pay for upgrade Is this a Ripoff ?

jaydonny

Hi i am confused about trying to upgrade any help appreciated.

February we booked direct on phone a IC inside pp £1,319

September Final payment made

Recived the Bid-Upgrade email

We compared what it would cost to pay for a upgrade.........

Cost showing online & call centre of a Sail Away Mini-Suite MX pp £1,329 (+£10) (so we would be upgrading to a higher stateroom and the price would be more then we originally paid)

Call centre would not allow us to upgrade to the MX mini suite. The only option they said was to cancle our origional booking (Cancellation charges would be £900 ) then we would have to re-book the £1,329 price. So this is obviousley this would be stupid.

But...... the call centre could upgrade us to a Mini suite MA for Total cost pp £1,689 (+£370)

Am i missing something hear to why i can not upgrade to the available MX mini suite ?

lol

Hi i am confused about trying to upgrade any help appreciated. February we booked direct on phone a IC inside pp £1,319. September Final payment made. Received the Bid-Upgrade email. We compared what it would cost to pay for a upgrade......... Cost showing online & call centre of a Sail Away Mini-Suite MX pp £1,329 (+£10) (so we would be upgrading to a higher stateroom and the price would be more then we originally paid). Call centre would not allow us to upgrade to the MX mini suite. The only option they said was to cancel our original booking (Cancellation charges would be £900 ) then we would have to re-book the £1,329 price. So this is obviously this would be stupid.But...... the call centre could upgrade us to a Mini suite MA for Total cost pp £1,689 (+£370). Am i missing something hear to why i can not upgrade to the available MX mini suite ? lol

First, try calling again and see if you get a more sympathetic call centre agent who will do the upgrade for free.

In the States, you could have cancelled prior to final payment and got the MX for the +£10. After Final Payment, you have to pay cancellation penalties. In the U.K., unfortunately, the cancellation rules are often more strict, imposing penalties from the time you book.

It would have been easier if you monitored the prices and tried the upgrade just before you made your final payment.

Again, try again with the centre. If not, stay with the IC.

Thanks. yes i will moniter it more next time before final payment. I did actualy ask the agent before he took my final payment if there was a better deal before i proceeded may be there wasn't at the time i was speaking with him. Or may be in the UK we just don't get the service as in the US lol Ha well.

• 1 month later...

Generally, the option to pay to upgrade AFTER final payment is not an option. Even if the price has gone down. Sometimes an agent will allow it.

The upgrade program is a separate deal. And it is not a ripoff.

Generally, the option to pay to upgrade AFTER final payment is not an option.
That is not true generally (in the US), and in this case, the OP said that NCL UK were willing to let them pay to upgrade to MA. There seems to be a specific restriction against upgrading to MX. Maybe because the Sail-Away categories (X) are excluded from the Premium All-Inclusive offer in the UK.

OP, did you ask about upgrading to a regular balcony or an oceanview? Some of these categories may now be priced lower than what you originally paid for the IC, so they may be sympathetic to you (but I have no experience with NCL UK).