Pinnacle Grill on Formal Nights

retafcruiser

had to pass along this interesting tidbit. While on a recent HAL cruise, we approached the MDR (on formal nite) without requisite attire. We were politely turned away. Went to the pinnacle grille, and were graciously welcomed as we were. So, guess it all depends.....

Just curious -- if you knew about the "requisite attire", why did you approach the MDR?

I'm glad to read that. My favourite cruise line does not have casual nights; on nights which are not formal they have informal which is defined as "jacket required, tie optional." About a third of gents wear a tie. This is what I am accustomed to on my last eight crossings/cruises. When dining in an elegant restaurant either on land or at sea I feel more comfortable in a jacket and tie. I hope I am not the only traditionalist on my HAL cruise next month.

Hi, I completely agree with you.:):):)

Don't you just love those hot dogs on the BBQ ? :rolleyes:

Not quite. More like eating grilled lobster on the beach in Caye Caulker, Poke on the beach in Hawaii, or fish tacos in Playa del Carmen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hot dogs? Really?

• 2 weeks later...
had to pass along this interesting tidbit. While on a recent HAL cruise, we approached the MDR (on formal nite) without requisite attire. We were politely turned away. Went to the pinnacle grille, and were graciously welcomed as we were. So, guess it all depends.....

This surprises me, as it's always been my experience that the Pinnacle Grill is full on formal night, so reservations necessary. You really lucked out both in being welcomed in non-formal attire and finding a table last minute! Also, I wanted to mention that it's been my observation that when a less-than-formally attired man is accompanying a "quite-dressed-to-the-nines" woman who has clearly put some effort into looking great for formal night, the rules seem to bend a bit. I've seen couples where the man is in shirtsleeves and the woman in a cocktail dress entering the MDR, but I've seen men in shirtsleeves turned away when the women they were with were wearing pants (albeit nice ones).