Safe excursions

no1racefan1

I know about the recent state advisory that places the state of Sinaloa at a Level 4-Do Not Travel. I am kind of a chicken but I am trying to be practical and not overreact.

We have a Carnival excursion booked, Nature Discovery & Turtle Sanctuary or something like that. I believe the excursion takes place at Estrella del Mar, about 45 minutes away from the port area.

What can I expect during that travel? I know the state recommendation is to stay in the popular tourist areas such as the port and the Golden Zone. Is it too risky to venture away from these areas? Perhaps we should choose an excursion that stays closer to the ship?

I know a lot of people are going to reply how safe it is and how they've lived there forever, etc. Like I said, I'm kind of a chicken but I'm not about to give up experiencing new places and things out of paranoia.

And I know ultimately its up to DH and I if we feel the amount of risk is justifiable, but I still want to know.........

if you were kind of a scaredy cat and were on the fence about going on this excursion, what would you do?

I know about the recent state advisory that places the state of Sinaloa at a Level 4-Do Not Travel. I am kind of a chicken but I am trying to be practical and not overreact.

We have a Carnival excursion booked, Nature Discovery & Turtle Sanctuary or something like that. I believe the excursion takes place at Estrella del Mar, about 45 minutes away from the port area.

What can I expect during that travel? I know the state recommendation is to stay in the popular tourist areas such as the port and the Golden Zone. Is it too risky to venture away from these areas? Perhaps we should choose an excursion that stays closer to the ship?

I know a lot of people are going to reply how safe it is and how they've lived there forever, etc. Like I said, I'm kind of a chicken but I'm not about to give up experiencing new places and things out of paranoia.

And I know ultimately its up to DH and I if we feel the amount of risk is justifiable, but I still want to know.........

if you were kind of a scaredy cat and were on the fence about going on this excursion, what would you do?

I was recently in Mazatlan and felt safe in town. I believe most of the violence is more In the Northernmost part of the state.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you that nothing will happen. You will have to determine what level of risk you are willing to take. I personally would stay in town.

I would expect that Carnival would not allow an excursion to take place if they thought it was UNsafe. They will cancel it if they hear bad things about that area.

From what I know Estrella de Mar is a planned community with lots of expats living there and so I have not heard that it is a problem.

You could probably find more info from people who are there on land in the Mazatlan forum of Trip Advisor. The people on here are mostly cruisers who don't really know these cities in Mexico and just read about them.

Here is a link to that forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150792-i257-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html