Scam alert - phone call claiming I owe $$$ for "damage to cabin"

sinatra

I just took the 8/18 western Glory cruise (had a great time). Yesterday, I got a phone call from someone claiming to be from CCL stating that I owe $400 for damage to the cabin. I was immediately suspicious because caller ID said the number was "private" and the call sounded like it was from outdoors -- I could hear the wind blowing!

I asked the caller again -- who is this and all he responded was Carnival Cruise Line (no name). I then asked him where the headquarters for Carnival was located and he said "Florida." I asked him what city, and he said Port Canaveral. I knew he was a scammer at that point (CCL's headquarters is in Miami, as I'm sure every CCL employee knows.) He then put a "stateroom supervisor" named "Ward" on the phone. Ward repeated my name, address, phone number, and cabin number and said that I needed to take care of the damage to the cabin. I said "what, did you find a luggage tag, pal?" and "Ward" promptly hung up.

These guys were so lame it is almost laughable. They are taking or finding information from the embarkation or debarkation tags and trying to get people to pay them for "cabin damage." I plan to let CCL know next week, but I thought I would alert the board to these scam artists.

That is awful because you know there are some people out there that are probably falling for that everyday, you should call Carnival guest relations on Tuesday morning and report them. Not sure if there is much that can be done but we can hope :)

Just thinking aloud... But you don't think it might involve porters- do you? I mean they do have access to luggage and would have the time to get info. Do you take your tags off after you debark?

Think about it- get the info off people's tags, have a buddy call and if it works, they get a cut.

Again, just thinking aloud....

Sounds more like a joke "prank call" being played on you from one of your friends that you cruised with.

Thanks for the idea! Wish I had thought to make a prank call like that to my daughter after she cruised Carnival. :D

On the other hand, miamilyssa has a good thought provoking point. There are a number of people that cannot find their bags because the tags were missing. Perhaps they are being ripped off by porters, who in turn use the info to call unsuspecting vacationers.

I was immediately suspicious because caller ID said the number was "private" and the call sounded like it was from outdoors -- I could hear the wind blowing!

Get *82 added to your phone service, this will cut down on 99.9% of those types of phone calls as well as Telemarketers because they have to enter a *82 first before calling your number, this unblocks their phone number and will expose them.

I've added my numbers on the DoNotCall list and also use *82, I no longer get calls.

Fred

When I get my Carnival baggage tags I take a big black marker and write the cabin number across the whole tag. I also do not put the tags on the luggage until I get to my hotel for the pre-cruise night.

I don't like having all that personal information out there and this is one reason why.

Sadly,this could happen much more often to all of us posting on this message board.Especially those that post to much info...

Be careful,especially on Roll Calls where things tend to get a little to comfy and personal.. a post here or there,lets out your last name,you've already posted when you are sailing,most on roll calls eventually give there room number out...Coupled all of that with the info in our profile...

Not that folks on your roll call would do it,but others could...Not to mention figure out where you live and give you a little visit when you are gone!!

Get *82 added to your phone service, this will cut down on 99.9% of those types of phone calls as well as Telemarketers because they have to enter a *82 first before calling your number, this unblocks their phone number and will expose them.

I've added my numbers on the DoNotCall list and also use *82, I no longer get calls.

Fred

I also did the Do Not Call thing and it has cut out telemarketing calls completely.

Fred-did you know there is also a Do Not Mail list? I also did it and it stopped all the junk mail I used to get.

I also did the Do Not Call thing and it has cut out telemarketing calls completely.

Fred-did you know there is also a Do Not Mail list? I also did it and it stopped all the junk mail I used to get.

Thats pretty cool, I like to sign up for that one. Do you recall the correct website?

Fred

Ya know, I would consider calling the police. They can obtain your phone records and see where the call originated and, if nothing else, establish a file on this alleged fraud attempt. While I don't expect them to come over immediately with sirens wailing, I would bet you get a call in the next few days so they can investigate what may have been a crime.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I agree they probably got your info from your luggage tag. I'm going to try putting just my cabin number on my luggage and nothing else. Carnival can also investigate this incident. I'd follow up (after calling) with a letter to them to make sure it gets attention.

Just thinking aloud... But you don't think it might involve porters- do you? I mean they do have access to luggage and would have the time to get info. Do you take your tags off after you debark?

Think about it- get the info off people's tags, have a buddy call and if it works, they get a cut.

Again, just thinking aloud....

Porters have little access to your bags when you debark. They are unloaded by ships personnel and set up in the warehouse under the watchful eye of customs.

Ohmigosh, bonniemari, please post the contact info for the do-not-mail list! I must spend 20 minutes each night sorting through mail and shredding! A waste of time and tress!

http://www.DirectMail.com/Junk_Mail

I actually found out about it through AARP-make sure to read the FAQ and it explains why they put you on the list. But it does work.

Ohmigosh, bonniemari, please post the contact info for the do-not-mail list! I must spend 20 minutes each night sorting through mail and shredding! A waste of time and tress!

Hey now......I hate that "job security" mail at my office....but it pays the bills and sends me on my cruises..................if everyone gets on a no-mail list I might have to stop cruising to feed my kids. LOL

I just took the 8/18 western Glory cruise (had a great time). Yesterday, I got a phone call from someone claiming to be from CCL stating that I owe $400 for damage to the cabin. I was immediately suspicious because caller ID said the number was "private" and the call sounded like it was from outdoors -- I could hear the wind blowing!

I asked the caller again -- who is this and all he responded was Carnival Cruise Line (no name). I then asked him where the headquarters for Carnival was located and he said "Florida." I asked him what city, and he said Port Canaveral. I knew he was a scammer at that point (CCL's headquarters is in Miami, as I'm sure every CCL employee knows.) He then put a "stateroom supervisor" named "Ward" on the phone. Ward repeated my name, address, phone number, and cabin number and said that I needed to take care of the damage to the cabin. I said "what, did you find a luggage tag, pal?" and "Ward" promptly hung up.

These guys were so lame it is almost laughable. They are taking or finding information from the embarkation or debarkation tags and trying to get people to pay them for "cabin damage." I plan to let CCL know next week, but I thought I would alert the board to these scam artists.

Thanks for letting us know, and for planning to call Carnival too.

Payd:)

Fred

Thanks for the info, Fred!! I am on the DoNotCall list but still get some calls. I'll call the phone company and get the *82 added to my service. :cool:

Luggage tags don't require all your personal info(even tho the ask for it).. first initial and last name .. cabin number is it;)

However, don't most people have their own luggage tags with their contact information on it? All it would take would be someone going around the last evening and taking this information from the luggage left outside the cabin waiting for pick up.

However, don't most people have their own luggage tags with their contact information on it? All it would take would be someone going around the last evening and taking this information from the luggage left outside the cabin waiting for pick up.

Some may .. we do not.. unless they have access to the inside of our luggage (which is locked).. they will not get our personal info.. address is a work address and phone number is a cell not home number

Archived