ALASKA Newby

KNowme1st

Cruised Multiple times . First time looking into an Alaskan Cruise. Interested in a round trip Cruise, Inside Passage. I thought that might be better as Due to issues, feet, lower back, I would NOT be able to get off and go hiking etc. So any one who has done this type of cruise, feed back please. Hints, to do, to stay away from. If you have done Alaska with both Carnival and another line. Any comparisons ??

Cruised Multiple times . First time looking into an Alaskan Cruise. Interested in a round trip Cruise, Inside Passage. I thought that might be better as Due to issues, feet, lower back, I would NOT be able to get off and go hiking etc. So any one who has done this type of cruise, feed back please. Hints, to do, to stay away from. If you have done Alaska with both Carnival and another line. Any comparisons ??

Hi KNowme1st. I just got back from Alaska on the Carnival Legend, round trip from Seattle. It was an awesome cruise and I highly recommend it. There are tons of excursions that you will be able to do that do not require hiking or excessive walking, etc. There were a very large portion of cruisers on our ship that had mobility issues yet I saw them all getting off the ship to do excursions either with the cruise line or on their own. It's sorta tough to give you ideas or hints on what to do since we do not know what you like, dislike, etc. I would suggest though, if you go on Carnival make sure to look at all of their Alaska itineraries since they have different routes which create different times in port even though they often go to the same port. For example, we went on an 8 day cruise with included a full day in Victoria which is often just a couple hour stop on a 7 day cruise. If you're interested, you can look at my review that I'm currently writing on my Alaska cruise for an idea of what the 8 day roundtrip from Seattle cruise on Carnival is like.

I saw and read your review. waiting to see all the pics. Thank you so much for the response. I basically like almost everything. Just an issue with physical things. Not sick at all, I was born with double club feet and have arth in lower back and hips. And can have a balance issue. So no glacier prowling. So no rock climbing, cliff jumping etc. lol So come on with any Tips, thoughts and info regarding your trips to help me pick he best one.

Have done Alaska on both Carnival and Princess and loved both. Thought the buffet on Princess was better but liked Carnival over all.

I recommend the train trip in Skagway. The train comes right to the ship so a short walk for you and it gives a great look at Alaska over about 3 1/2 hours.

Enjoy.

I too agree with the White Pass train in Skagway. There are quite a few different whale excursions in Juneau and Victoria that are really good. We did the Eagle Wing whale excursion in Victoria and it was incredible!! You can also fly over the glaciers in Juneau as well and you can take a sightseeing flight over Misty Fjord National Park in Ketchikan. We went with Island Wings in Ketchikan. They were very good and they pick you up at the pier too.

I just did the 8/21-28/18 Alaska on the Carnival Legend. We LOVED it.

This was our first time on the Legend (normally do the large ships--dream, breeze etc). I cant say how much I loved the layout and ease of the Legend.

We did the dog sled/gold panning and 40 below zero in Skagway. That might be a bit much for mobility issues (we didn't actually sled though, we learned about it and got to interact with the dogs and puppies).

In Juneau we did the Mendenhall glacier and whale watching tour--loved that, but there is walking around at the Mendenhall glacier and the building is a lot of steps up (I am sure there must be an elevator somewhere though?)

In Ketchikan, we shopped...its right there as you get off the ship...lots and lots of great stores.

In Victoria...you would need a tour of some sort, there is nothing anywhere near the port. We walked in 2 different directions for many blocks...it literally docks in a neighborhood. So weird to look out your living room window and see a ship :):)

The ship itself has a great layout with floors 2 and 3 having all the clubs, bars, shops. You can go from front to back of the ship on both floors.

The Lido deck has a very large serenity area, the buffet is nice, lots of seating. There are 2 main pool areas in the middle of Lido--one is covered and one is open.

The Legend is there for 1 more season, then a different ship is taking over as of summer 2020, not sure which one.

Any other questions, let me know. I loved everything about this cruise and have already booked the Legend again for april 2020 when it will be in Tampa, Fl.

I should add, my mom was in a wheelchair for this cruise due to a broken ankle she suffered on july 4th. She did not go on the excursions, but did do the shopping in Ketchican. She doesn't care for excursions to begin with though. Also the Legend does not have the big screen at the lido pool...that is the only thing I didn't like. We love watching movies at night on deck, but the musical entertainment on board certainly kept me busy instead.

Have done the round trip on The Legend and recently The Golden Princess from Whittier to Vancouver. You see more of Alaska on a one way trip. On a round trip you are at sea more.

Also recommend the train in Skagway.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY, recommend taking an aerial tour somewhere. Glacier helicopter landing, floatplane to anywhere. Obscenely expensive but worth every penny and then some. Something you will remember forever.