Sun vs. Star and Jewel

RaiderDuck

This November, my wife and I will be spending our first anniversary on a 15-night cruise on the Sun. We've previously spent two weeks on the Star and one week on the Jewel. Are there any major differences we should know about?

Don't know what category you are in but the balcony cabins on the SUN are the large. The minis are special and the suites are the best.

We're currently booked into a Oslo Deck Window cabin (category OD) but would be amenable to bidding on a Balcony cabin when that opens up.

This November, my wife and I will be spending our first anniversary on a 15-night cruise on the Sun. We've previously spent two weeks on the Star and one week on the Jewel. Are there any major differences we should know about?

The Sun is smaller and quieter than Star and Jewel. There is no thermal spa on the Sun. The theater on the Sun is configured very differently (better). The round showers on the Sun can be an issue if you are fat. In general the rooms and balconies on the Sun are larger. The Sun was just refurbished during a Panama Canal cruise and short stay in Victoria so it is shiny and new feeling. We have sailed all three ships multiple times and we like the Sun best, followed by the Star and lastly the Jewel.

Of all the NCL ships we have been on, we were least impressed with the Sun. One of the issues was the shower. I am not fat, nor am I a pencil. I am tall, with broad shoulders. The showers were much to small for me. As far as the rest of the ship, it didn't have any pizzazz. Beyond that, the crew as always, was excellent.

I would pick the Star, or the Jewel over the Sun, unless the itinerary was exceptional. Just my 2 cents.:D

One of the things I like about the Sun is the aft bar with the canvas canopy, you can sit back there and enjoy the breeze and favorite drink, there is a mini buffet area nearby, I missed that on the Star but was thrilled to find in on the Jade and sat back there while the lights of Gibraltar on one side and Africa on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have sailed all 3 and the Sun has always been one of my favorites. We have sailed her 4 times. I have heard a lot of noise about the showers, but I rather liked them and I am far from skinny. The cabins and balconies, as mentioned are larger, the crew is super friendly plus the Sun always seems to have the best itinerary, plus they were the first ship built for freestyle, I do think you will find the Sun more like the Star than like the Jewel. In fact I know you will..

Probably the downside is the buffet is a little funky with a poor flow and there is no O'Sheehans.

Love, Love, Love the Sun!! We have sailed her several times and have always enjoyed! Yes, the outdoor aft canopy area is one of our favorite areas! My huz is a 6'2 large kinda mate, never had issues with the shower. The Sun has many awesome sit and relax spots, or for playing cards, drinking and watching the ship cruise along..We are booked on the transatlantic Star cruise in November, our 2nd time sailing her and Love the ship! As we all know, there are pros and cons to all the ships, it's about what you are looking for and willing to overlook! Have also sailed the Mega ships with all the bells and whistles, but always seem to find our way back to the "baby bear" ships....And this one is just right!!! Enjoy!! Be safe! Happy Sailing!:cool: