First time cruisers considering the MSC Seaside (Lots of questions!)

Danny61231

Hey everyone,

I have posted before and I'm still trying to figure out what cruise is right for my wife and I. Neither of us have ever sailed before and at the time of the cruise we will be 33 and 29. Neither of us are big partiers or drinkers and we are really just looking to relax, be entertained, have good food, and have a nice ship to check out. We have been thinking about booking one of the following cruises:

6 day cruise in a royal promenade room on RCI Freedom of the Seas in January 2018 going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya.

7 day cruise in an interior room on MSC Seaside in February 2018 (ship is supposed to start sailing Dec 2017) going to Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Nassau.

What I'm wondering is would MSC be a decent first cruise line to try? What are the pros and cons of MSC Vs. RCI and also what are the pros Vs. cons of sailing on such a new ship? Honestly, I just found out about the MSC Seaside last week and was impressed with the pictures I was seeing so considering this ship is something really new for me. I have read that MSC offers some really good drink packages as well as internet prices - does anyone know what those costs are? Also, the $49 per person down payment is something enticing as well. Is MSC the same as other cruise lines where if I book it and decide to cancel I still get all of my money back? Do we know yet what restaurants on the ship will be included and which will cost extra?

I'm really interested to hear what people think about these options for me and any information you can provide about my choices. I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions, Dan

I'm an early bird, meaning I enjoy the ports and day activities then go to bed early. Msc was perfect for me, you can check out the reviews in my signature to have an idea, if you want.

It's a long time to go until the seaside is launched, why don't you book a weekend cruise in the meantime to get a better idea of what you like on a Cruise?

Cheers,

Priscila

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The drink packages on MSC are much cheaper than on RCI; I don't use the internet on board so can't answer that. There may be one or two venues other than the main dining room and buffet that are included but most the other restaurants will be extra. They will probably cost less than the specialty dining on RCI. We have done 3 RCI cruises and do like them but enjoyed the Divina and are very excited for our Seaside cruise next March.

Hi Danny,

First, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. Prepare to be hooked!

Let me premise my comments on the fact that I have never sailed MSC, but I am booked on the Seaside next Feb.

The biggest difference on the two ships you are considering is the connection to the ocean. RCI ships with the grand promenade have a tendency to move the passengers to the center of the ship, away from the open decks, thus, away from the ocean. The Seaside, on the other hand is attempting to create a connection to the sea, most notably by moving much of the outdoor areas to decks 7 and 8.

In any case, enjoy your upcoming adventure.

Stan

Yes, you can book and cancel before final payment, and get your money back.

Actually, its a little different on MSC. I just noticed my travel agent pointed out to me that your deposit is refundable up to 90 days before your sailing date. For my cruise final payment is due AFTER the 90 day mark. So if you make a booking just make a note on your calendar as to what the cut off date for cancellation with full refund is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app