Clothing Ashore- Early May

crisp1

I've read that Italians don't dress as casually. This time of year in Amalfi, Sicily and Venice I understand that the temps are in the mid to upper 60's. Are jeans acceptable- tank tops? Shorts? I realize we'll look like tourists no matter what- but would like to fit in a bit- recommendations?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dress code really only matters when it comes to churches in Italy, shorts or tanks tops, anything considered too revealing (including lederhosen, yes i saw Austrian men turned away at the Vatican) are best avoided for church visits.

Otherwise, it’s your trip, it makes sense to wear what you’re comfortable in unless, as would be the case where you live, a restaurant or other occasion called for a specific type of dressier style. Jeans are fine, some people purchase pants that are convertible (zip style) so that they’re long when need be in Italy (church!) then short when not required.

I’ve noticed, as a fan of style in general, that Italian style is just different altogether from any other place in Europe or anywhere and either one is into it, or influenced by it or it’s just not ones style. At a minimum it’s interesting and eye catching.

As a visitor I think it only matters to be comfortable and put together. If you want to get some style going, then you’re definitely in the right place for that! Enjoy 😊

I think you may hit weather a little warmer than you're thinking -- at least in Amalfi and Sicily. I'm planning to leave on a cruise in mid-May and I've already started looking at temps. Daytime highs are already around 70 and warmer than that in some places (80 in Rome later this week.....)

I say this by way of suggesting that jeans will be on the warm side, possibly.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't wear a tank top anywhere but on the beach in Italy. Although that's my own comfort zone, most Italians would do likewise (e.g., no tank tops). Amalfi is a resort area, so nice resort wear is obviously fine. For Sicily I'd say it depends on where you are going and what you're doing there. Venice is odd -- lots of tourists; in fact, mostly tourists. But as mentioned, if you want to go into St. Marks, your knees and shoulders should be covered.

We did a trip two years ago in early May that focused heavily on resort type towns: Cannes, Amalfi, Provence, etc I did wear linen shorts on some days with tank tops & loose sheer blouses over them to protect from the sun. Over 3 weeks we hit weather that ranged from cool & rainy (Barcelona, where we wore long pants, sweaters, boots & rain coats) to hot & sunny. We ended our trip with a week in Rome where it was already pretty hot, I wore longer skirts with loose linen tank tops & carried a scarf for my shoulders for churches, DH wore tech fabric slacks that stay cool & dry. On the day that we biked the Appian Way, we both wore shorts, we were able to into the catacombs dressed like that no problem. Didn't enter any churches that day, but did peek my head into the Que Vadis church. We both always take sun hats, which you'll definitely need.

I will be sailing from Venice in July and I was in Europe last summer too. When you say you have read Europeans don't dress casually? I guess that is what makes us all different. I don't plan my attire on what other people wear. I mean, if they say the knees must be covered for churches that is one thing, but if none of my tours/excursions are going into a church and it is the middle of summer? Shorts (knee length or a bit longer) and short sleeves for my tops....cotton is always my preferred material as it breathes.

Last year I sailed from Barcelona to Rome and I wore shorts/capris during the day when I was on tours.

I also wear black walking shoes and socks. They may not be "stylish" but they work for me when touring all day.

One other thing, I think Europeans wear plenty of jeans...actually, I think jeans are a very "Universal" form of attire.

Just got off Windsurf Rome to Venice 4/29-5/07- most mornings were cool-ish and the day could get warm ( upper 70's ) but if clouds moved in- back to the sixties ( a breeze would make it feel cooler). As far as clothing when in port- no different than home- anything from jeans- shorts- capris- nothing really seemed out of place- I would dress for the weather/ temps