First time to Europe airport question

ROWSE

Our flights are from US to our destination in Rome, and I understand what happens when we arrive, going through immigration/passport control and retrieving luggage, but it is our return flights that I need a little "walk me through it" advice please.

We are staying in Rome for four days after our cruise and will be taking the train from Termini to FCO airport.

Our return flight is at 10:20a.m. in October on KLM Airlines Rome to Amsterdam, with a one and a half hour layover in Amsterdam, then we take Delta Airlines to the US.

They are code share airlines, so will our luggage be checked all the way through? Will it be a matter of getting off our plane and just going to find our gate for our Delta flight to the US, or is there more to it than that?

Any information would be helpful, thank you!

Yes, your bags will be checked through. You will need to go through an exiting Europe Passport check in AMS, and an additional passport inspection before you board the US bound flight. This second check will probably be at the gate.

Oh thank you for answering so quickly! Where is this exiting Europe Passport check at? Is it up near the gates? Is it inside security screening or do you have to go back through that again?

Oh thank you for answering so quickly! Where is this exiting Europe Passport check at? Is it up near the gates? Is it inside security screening or do you have to go back through that again?

Pretty sure it is as you enter the international terminal area. Rome-AMS is not considered international. It is like a state to state flight in the US.

Delta is responsible to assure that no one that is ineligible to travel to the US is allowed on a US bound flight. So that requires the additional passport check at or near the gate you will depart out of.

You need to be at the airport well ahead, I would recommend three hours for Rome. Because it will be so early I think it would be worthwhile to book a transfer. Rome cabs who are excellent charge about 50 euro. Otherwise you are schlepping luggage to the train station or taking a cab, and then it is a bit of a hike at the train station. We have done it both ways and we highly recommend a transfer.

You need to be at the airport well ahead, I would recommend three hours for Rome. Because it will be so early I think it would be worthwhile to book a transfer. Rome cabs who are excellent charge about 50 euro. Otherwise you are schlepping luggage to the train station or taking a cab, and then it is a bit of a hike at the train station. We have done it both ways and we highly recommend a transfer.

Thank you for the information, I will research that.

You don't need to be at FCO 3 hours ahead for a domestic European flight...2 hours is plenty. As mentioned above, Rome-AMS is not really considered international, it is more like flying state to state in the US.

You only need to be at FCO 3 hours ahead for a direct, non-stop flight to the US or Isreal, for extra security.