New Webcam ~ Port Bermuda

emmy

Interesting! I found this on Wikipedia:

-----

Two islands at the western side of the Great Sound, Tucker's and Morgan's, were levelled, adding 36 acres (150,000*m2) to Bermuda's landmass, and creating a peninsula extending from the Main Island. The entire base measured 260 acres (1.1*km2). It was not long enough to allow a useful runway, but did have extensive tarmac and hangar areas. Large Martin flying boats could be pulled ashore for hangarage, and servicing. When the area was first occupied by the US Navy, it was titled the Naval Operating Base. Once the Naval Air Station was completed, the US Navy relocated its air operations to it from Darrell's Island. The base continued to be used for this purpose until 1965, when the last flying boats were withdrawn from service. US Navy P-2 Neptune landplanes, based at the USAF's Kindley Air Force Base, then took over the maritime patrol role. The US Navy took over Kindley AFB, entirely, in 1970, and it renamed it NAS Bermuda. The former Naval Air Station was redubbed the NAS Annex. It served primarily as a dock area for US Naval shipping, until the closure of all of the US bases at the end of the Cold War, in 1995.

-----

And here's a picture that I believe shows the location of the old Naval Observation Base (NOB) -- see the green arrow. Notice what looks like a man-made channel through the Great Sound to take one right to the NOB:

Bermuda%20NOB.png

Thank you for this information Paul. I will finally get a first hand look at all this in August when I sail on Celebrity Summit. I am sure others out there have more to add who have been to Bermuda

Look forward to me visit there. The webcam views were just too enticing not to visit sooner rather than later :)

As far as I can tell the ships docking at Royal Naval Dockyard are following the same route they always have...I don't think there's much choice in the matter because there's only one channel that can accommodate ships of that size. Perhaps because you're observing it from a shore-based camera the perspective just looks different than it does while you're on the ship. Zooming in on an object with a long focal length lens totally changes the depth perception...objects that are far apart can look like they're right next to each other.

As far as I can tell the ships docking at Royal Naval Dockyard are following the same route they always have...I don't think there's much choice in the matter because there's only one channel that can accommodate ships of that size. Perhaps because you're observing it from a shore-based camera the perspective just looks different than it does while you're on the ship. Zooming in on an object with a long focal length lens totally changes the depth perception...objects that are far apart can look like they're right next to each other.

If you look at the map located on the web cam page, they show the positions of the ships as they leave. When you watch that, you will see that the two ships take different routes and it's not just a perspective thing.

If you look at the map located on the web cam page, they show the positions of the ships as they leave. When you watch that, you will see that the two ships take different routes and it's not just a perspective thing.

Will be paying closer attention to the marine map as Explorer sails a bit later and then on Friday especially when both Breakaway and Summit are in port and sail away.

OK...we're talking about two different things. I'm referring to the visual image of the ships captured by the web cam. You're talking about the AIS tracking data put out by marinetracking.com .

I suspect the reason the two ships take different routes is that they want to maintain separation on the voyage back to NY Harbor, rather than steaming in the same shipping lane bow to stern. I think what you'd probably see a bit later on is the two ships maintaining the same heading in two separate parallel lanes .

As far as I can tell the ships docking at Royal Naval Dockyard are following the same route they always have...I don't think there's much choice in the matter because there's only one channel that can accommodate ships of that size.

Maybe it's the size? I just checked our records, and our first cruise was on the Celebrity Zenith to Hamilton. The other two cruises, Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty docked at St. George.

It must have been the Zenith that sailed right at St. George and turned right following along the coast and finally turning left and making the approach to Hamilton. Yeah...that must be the difference. The big ships sailing today, to the Dockyard, use the route straight out from the Dockyard.

Maybe it's the size? I just checked our records, and our first cruise was on the Celebrity Zenith to Hamilton. The other two cruises, Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty docked at St. George.

It must have been the Zenith that sailed right at St. George and turned right following along the coast and finally turning left and making the approach to Hamilton. Yeah...that must be the difference. The big ships sailing today, to the Dockyard, use the route straight out from the Dockyard.

Our first cruise was on Celebrity Horizon to Hamilton. That is quite an interesting channel.

Yes, I believe that's it...large ships that are berthed at Dockyard versus smaller ships docking at Hamilton and St. George's.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for posting the web site. having a great time watch and dreaming about our cruise.

Chuck and Marty

Glad you found it and enjoy watching this wonderful webcam

Did you see your ship arrive this morning?

Here is a screen capture I took.

1015359_10151487312886693_386666437_o.jpg

No we missed it but will be watching the next time. If we come in this way our cabin will be on the dock side so tht answered one of my questions. Thanks for the picture.

Marty

oops sorry I posted one of Explorer I meant for it to be NCL Dawn :)

Here ya go.

1009398_10151487663046693_371682782_o.jpg

• 9 months later...