Formal nights, ice skating, search feature

Utahrd

- Is there a Search feature on this board, where I can type in a phrase? I have gone to google & typed in what I wanted to look up. But if I can type it here, that would be faster.

-Royal Caribbean is the only line that has ice skating? How much is skate rental? Is the ice time free if you rent skates?

-What would a 4 or 5 year old boy (I'm not sure when we are going exactly) have to wear on a formal night?

-We would not have to dress up & go to the "formal night", right? We could go to another buffet that isn't formal, right?

I can answer a few for you.

The search feature on here is not great, the advanced search is down......you can try the top right of the threads for a search window.

Royal Caribbean is the only line with a skating rink, don't know about rentals. I am pretty sure there is open skate time.

You do not have to dress up on formal night, as you say, the buffet areas as well as many others are open for casual dress.

Hope this helps, Chuck

The search feature is on the upper right of the thread.

The ice shows are free and the ice skating is free. You must wear long pants.

Your son should be neatly dressed for formal night - probably long pants and a white buttoned shirt would do. If he has one of those blue blazers that the boys wear, that would be good to.

You can always skip formal night and eat elsewhere. However, you will not get the same fancy meal as in the dining room.

I'm not big on dressing up. I think of it as my costume. I take two long comfortable summer dresses that pack well and 1 pair of dress shoes. That's it. There has been lots of discussion on these boards about attire on formal nights. The consensus is that you can actually wear almost anything - they won't kick you out. If your husband has any kind of jacket, button shirt, and long pants (not jeans), he is good to go on formal night. A tie would be a great accessory as well. You put it on for 2 hours and that's it - and the meal is great.

-Royal Caribbean is the only line that has ice skating? How much is skate rental? Is the ice time free if you rent skates?

-What would a 4 or 5 year old boy (I'm not sure when we are going exactly) have to wear on a formal night?

-We would not have to dress up & go to the "formal night", right? We could go to another buffet that isn't formal, right?

Like 138 said, skating is free. You just have to sign a liability waiver. On the subject of skating...do not miss the ice show!!!

I'm sure the ship will not enforce tuxedo wear on a 4 or 5 year old. Just, if you're going to use the dining room, dress him respectfully.

No, you do not have to dress up on formal night. But if you don't want to feel out of place, skip the dining room on those nights. The Windjammer buffet does put together a great dinner.

If you want to do the "formal night", your 4-5 year old does NOT have to wear a tux! Whatever a young child would wear to a very nice evening party, or wedding is fine. Slacks and a nice shirt ( for a child that young) is fine. Little children do not need to wear "adult" clothes--they look sort of silly and "pagent-ish"!

Once they become teens, they should adhere to the adult guidelines.

Thanks, everybody, for your help!

With Delta now charging $50 for a 2nd bag (Delta has the most flights out of Salt Lake City), packing up my tux or even a suit, my wife's formal dress and my daughter's dress seems like a bit of a waste.

Our idea of Gourmet Cuisine is anything not served next to some Golden Arches. So the informal buffet should be good enough for us.

But that sounds like fun; ice skating here at home one day, then flying to San Diego or Houston or maybe Fort Lauderdale and ice skating the next day on a ship.

So when is a cruise line going to put in a ski/snowboard hill? Those smokestacks go up pretty high. They could support it from there. We skiers/riders could catch some big air and land in the pool. Just kidding!

Archived