Are there tour operators, vans, etc., at port of Genoa offering tours to Portofino?

basketballdad

Check this:

http://www.travelsignposts.com/Italy/getting-around/how-to-get-to-portofino

Usually, the ferries to Potofino do not run in the winter. An excursion may be your best bet.

I would not worry about your cruise ship not being able to dock in Genoa. It is a major deep-water industrial port. Many cruise ships are built there.

I am not aware of any dockside tour vendors like in the Caribbean.

Portofino is small and probably best enjoyed when the weather is nice and everyone is sitting outside at the cafes. I haven't been there in the dead of winter, but I imagine it might not have it's charm.

Perhaps just take the train to Santa Margherita? There might be some signs of life there.

Forget ferry from Genova, especially in Winter as they dont run at all between November & April .

Your best and fastest way to get from Genova to Portofino is by train and bus, all year round .

You take train from Genova (two main stations are Principe & Brignole) to St Margherita Ligure . Trains run every 30 minutes or so and trip time is around 40 minutes.

Walk straight out front of St Margherita station, turn right walk 30m and you will find the Bus Stop for Portofino ,. Runs every 20 mins daytime and takes around 20 mins. Bus tickets from Bar/Cafe at oppositte end of station .

Check train times on Trenitalia website. On return bus leg get off at central roundabout in St Margherita and walk up to station, or stay on bus goes back to station .

In summer frequent ferries also ply the waters between Portofino & St Margherita township foreshore , below the station . San Fratuousso, Portofino, St Margherita and Camogli are four delightful spots on the Riviera de Levante .

Do not know how the winter weather might affect this route. We took the train from Genoa to Santa Margherita. After exiting the station we found the delightful waterfront pathway from there to Portofino. Google it up as I cannot remember the distance. All flat as you are at sea level. After shopping and a bite to eat we took a ferry back to Santa Margherita and then the train to Genoa. Easy pleasant day tour. May need some modifications for the winter but in any event you can use the train and then some mix of bus , cab or boat to Portofino from Santa Margherita.

Do not know how the winter weather might affect this route. We took the train from Genoa to Santa Margherita. After exiting the station we found the delightful waterfront pathway from there to Portofino. Google it up as I cannot remember the distance. All flat as you are at sea level. After shopping and a bite to eat we took a ferry back to Santa Margherita and then the train to Genoa. Easy pleasant day tour. May need some modifications for the winter but in any event you can use the train and then some mix of bus , cab or boat to Portofino from Santa Margherita.

It would take a truly extraordinary weather event to disrupt train traffic or local buses. I would not worry about that. The only concern may be the ferry from Santa Margherita to Portofino, which may or may not run in the winter and can be affected by heavy seas.

I was actually thinking about the walking part as to cold or rain. Otherwise it was quite pretty and easy to do. I think a cab or bus would be necessary for the return as the ferries May shut down not only for weather but for lack of tourists

Sent from my iPad using Forums