Seattle smoke and public health concerns

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:08 AM.
Seattle
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
If you're traveling to Seattle any time between now and next week, be sure to look at the forecast regarding haze from the BC forest fires. The smoke is a health hazard to people with asthma, as well as children and older adults.

I drive a shuttle, and I'm astonished how often I pick up cruisers who have no idea about it.

As a local coping with the smoke, here's my advice:

* Don't walk more than two or three blocks without stopping indoors somewhere for ten to fifteen minutes.

* If you have an inhaler but rarely use it, keep it on you at all times.

* Get the uber and lyft apps even if you don't plan on using them, in case you find yourself in a hurry to get back to your hotel.

* Recognize that right now the view from the Space Needle is affected by the haze

Attractions made worse by the haze:
Olympic Sculpture Park
Space Needle
Ducks/other riding tours
Waterfront
Pike's Market

Attractions unaffected by the haze:
Underground Tour
Museum of Popular Culture
Chihuly
Museum of Popular Culture
Most shopping destinations
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
- Due to local regulations on marketing, I cannot state the company for which I work. -
Washington State
542 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
According to the National Weather Service the smoke should begin to clear Thursday night into Friday due to a cooling trend and increased southernly air flow. Also a 50-50 chance of rain Sat night into Sunday. Cooler with highs in the 70's vs the 80's for the last couple of weeks.

52 days with no rain - a new record!
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts
Joined May 2012
In Vancouver they are telling us that the smoke will begin to clear Saturday and that we could get a touch of rain on Sunday.
I have lived here 25 years and have never experienced anything like the way it has been for the past few weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity - Century, Mercury, Silhouette
Costa - Magica
Disney - Wonder
MSC - Divina
NCL - Leeward, Sky
RCCL - Seranade of the Seas
Sunquest - Sundream

Alaska, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Mexican Riviera

total 80 seadays and 44 ports
Washington State
1,155 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
The wind is coming out of the WSW this morning and I just got this:
... Air quality alert for western Washington has ended...

The high pressure system responsible for trapping wildfire smoke
over western Washington for over a week was just east of the area
and will continue moving east. This has resulted in improved air
quality. Strengthening westerly flow in the lower to mid levels of
the atmosphere will help push the smoke out of the area for steadily
improving conditions. Thus, the air quality alert is no longer in
effect.
Seattle
990 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We now have smoke from fires in Eastern Washington covering the city and ash falling in the suburbs. This is far worse than the previous round and could stick around for weeks if we don't get rain.
Please take this seriously if you have breathing issues. Take it easy walking around and consider packing a face mask.
Bellingham, WA
175 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by juliecat
We now have smoke from fires in Eastern Washington covering the city and ash falling in the suburbs. This is far worse than the previous round and could stick around for weeks if we don't get rain.
Please take this seriously if you have breathing issues. Take it easy walking around and consider packing a face mask.
I'm in Bellingham (1.5 hrs north), and we have the same up here minus the ash fall. Sky has been a crazy orange/yellow/gray all day today. And I'm one of "those" folks with breathing issues -- puffer at hand, nebulizer on stand-by. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will ease up before next Monday (Sept 11) -- I'm taking Amtrak down to Seattle to board my first ever cruise -- Holland America, 2 weeks, Alaska. At least I'll be getting out to sea and (hopefully) away from this for awhile.

Lana in Bellingham
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Bellingham WA
598 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by ArtsyCraftsy
I'm in Bellingham (1.5 hrs north), and we have the same up here minus the ash fall. Sky has been a crazy orange/yellow/gray all day today. And I'm one of "those" folks with breathing issues -- puffer at hand, nebulizer on stand-by. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will ease up before next Monday (Sept 11) -- I'm taking Amtrak down to Seattle to board my first ever cruise -- Holland America, 2 weeks, Alaska. At least I'll be getting out to sea and (hopefully) away from this for awhile.

Lana in Bellingham
Hey Lana...I'm in Sudden Valley and the smoke seems to be captured over Lake Whatcom and Lookout Mountain. Thankfully, I think we are supposed to get some rain soon which should help with the fires and the smoke. Hope you have a great time as you travel North to Alaska!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5/20/17 - Star Princess - Alaska
3/12/17 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/1/2016 - Crown Princess - LA to Ensenada
9/18/2016 - Ruby Princess - SEA to VAN
9/14/2016 - Island Princess - Van to SF
5/20/2016 -Crown Princess - Coastal
5/7/2016 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
2/7/2016 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/15/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
09/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal