First timers on MSC - questions

Palmist

Leaving for Nov. 25 cruise in Caribbean on Divinia:

Do we need 110 adapters for anything in cabin?

How many outlets are there?

Is shampoo and conditioner provided?

Should we bring our own hairdryer?

How many formal nights?

Are women's capri pants permitted for dinner in dining rooms?

I don’t remember how many outlets there were, but they did have 110.

There was one container of shampoo/body wash in the shower (in Fantastica balcony cabins). No conditioner. I will be bringing my own shampoo and conditioner next time. Also there was no bar soap if you need that for anything. There was liquid soap at the sink.

There was a hairdryer in the cabin.

We had one formal and one semi formal on our 7 night cruise in May.

Yes, saw many women in capris in the dining room (though don’t remember if those were on the formal nights).

Enjoy your cruise!

Is shampoo and conditioner provided? yes in dispensers in the shower

Should we bring our own hairdryer? Definitely not, they are banned items and you could have it confiscated and not returned. However straighteners and curling tongs ARE permitted.

How many formal nights?

Are women's capri pants permitted for dinner in dining rooms? Dress code is "suggested" only and as such the only items forbidden in the MDRs are swimwear; tanktops and shorts.

for documented proof of these please see the thread on the link below for hairdryers see post #7 for dress code see post #8

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505973

Pete

Is shampoo and conditioner provided?

Should we bring our own hairdryer?

How many formal nights?

Are women's capri pants permitted for dinner in dining rooms?

Just got off Divina, the are 2 NA style 120v outlets on the desk and 2 Italian style 240v outlets, if you're from the UK you'll need a plug adapter. There is also a NA GFI 120v outlet in the bathroom ceiling, but it's really hard to get plugs to stay in it.

There is a built-in hair dryer in the desk drawer. And you don't need to use your cruise card to work the lights, any cc style plastic card will do.

Capri pants are fine for casual nights, a woman will probably be OK on a formal night, we did see a guy get refused entry to the dining room on the 2nd formal night for wearing shorts, t shirt and flip flops. Shampoo and body wash dispensers are in the shower, no conditioner, there is a hand soap dispenser for the sink. A few extra hangers might be useful.

If I remember correctly, there are 2 110 voltage plugs and 2 220 voltage plugs. You can always bring an adaptor to have more charging space if you have more devices/more people in your room. I only remember shampoo and shower gel in the shower, not conditioner, so you may want to bring your own. There is a hairdryer in the room, so you will not need you own, and as an above poster said, your own will get confiscated. There are two formal nights onboard a 7 night cruise. Capri pants for women will be permitted in the dining room, as long as it is not formal night. I don't recall them turning anyone away, but the MSC cruisers, by far, get the most dressed up out of all of my cruises, so if you don't get turned away by the staff, you will surely feel under-dressed. Hell, I was in a shirt, tie, and coat, and those European men in tuxes made me feel underdressed! But on any night other than formal night, capris should be fine.

You are going to have an amazing trip :)

There is a hairdryer in the room, so you will not need you own, and as an above poster said, your own will get confiscated.

We just got off the Divina last week.

We have always taken a hairdryer and never had it taken from us. This year (7 cruises) we took hairdryer on MSC, NCL, Celebrity, RCI and Princess. We even carry it on or check it in our luggage. Never a problem. If you want bar face soap, they do not provide it unless you are in YC. We were in Aurea and asked for it and they said no. However, we finally did get it.

FYI - Another thing, people say if you are Black Card and you get 2 Specialty Restaurant free meals. Some say they have a special menu you order from. NOT True! You order from their regular menu.We did it in Feb and Nov 2017 and never had a different menu. We dined in the Odyssey and Steak House.

The only thing that we would rate low is the food. Very seldom hot, menu in MDR on Formal night poor. We base this on our 7 cruises this year with 2 of the 7 on MSC Divina. We know that food is very subjective. However, many passengers say that is the weak point on MSC. Other than that, MSC is one of the best buys for the money. Ship is elegant, clean, etc. Going again on Divina in Feb 2018.

Happy Cruising!!

FYI - Another thing, people say if you are Black Card and you get 2 Specialty Restaurant free meals. Some say they have a special menu you order from. NOT True! You order from their regular menu.We did it in Feb and Nov 2017 and never had a different menu. We dined in the Odyssey and Steak House.

It depends on the ship! We were on Meraviglia in June and Magnifica last month. In the Speciality restaurants on both ships (Butcher's Cut and Oriental Plaza, respectively) there was a set menu for Black Card holders.

It depends on the ship! We were on Meraviglia in June and Magnifica last month. In the Speciality restaurants on both ships (Butcher's Cut and Oriental Plaza, respectively) there was a set menu for Black Card holders.

Sorry. Another example of the Cruise Lines not being consistent! That applies to all the cruise lines. Why are there different rules for each ship? That creates problems. JMHO!

Sorry. Another example of the Cruise Lines not being consistent! That applies to all the cruise lines. Why are there different rules for each ship? That creates problems. JMHO!

I totally agree! It's almost impossible to give definitive answers to questions without qualifying which ship is being discussed.

Up until our recent cruise, I would have said that you cannot have lunch in the MDR at embarkation day and are advised that lunch is served in the buffet for embarkees (though we've always managed to by letting the m'D know that we're regular MSC cruisers and prefer the MDR to the buffet). However, on Magnifica last month, the MDR was open to everyone for lunch.

I find that the main differences lie between what goes for Divina versus the rest of the fleet. Though that's now changing with the new additions e.g. Meraviglia, where some things are being done differently, and, I imagine, the same will be said for Seaside.