Rail Transfer questions: Seward to Anchorage

Just 30 days to go to our Alaska adventure! We booked the early morning rail transfers from Seward to Anchorage and I have a couple of questions. Hope I can get some help...

1. Is baggage transferred directly to the train, or do we need to pick it up at a carousel and redeposit it somewhere?

2. How early do you leave the ship? Is there time for breakfast?

3. I've seen video, and there are not a lot of Dome type cars on this train and I know you can't reserve a seat like you can with the evening Alaska Railroad train. How do they handle those cars? Are they first come/first served, or do they ask people to rotate through them?

4. How long is this trip? I've seen 4 hours, but wonder how it can take that long to travel 129 miles. Does the train make other stops?

5. We are not flying out of the airport but renting a car for a day or two. How do they handle baggage at the airport? Is there a carousel or other method of pick-up?

Thanks, in advance for all of the great info that I am sure to receive.:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

We did the train the opposite direction last year from Anchorage to Seward.

1. The luggage was carried separately by bus. I assume your luggage would be there for you at the airport as that’s where the train arrives

2. Sorry, don’t know

3. All cars have clear domed tops. They do have a few special lounge cars that have an upstairs, but we didn’t go there. All seats are at a table with room for three on each side. We were assigned a specific car and i believe a specific seat. There is a chef on board to fix meals and drinks are available.

4. Our trip was 6 hours and was one of the highlights of the trip.

5. I’m assuming they’ll just have everyone’s luggage allocated in one spot for you to retrieve. Usually they have a special place with large signs. Don’t worry, they’ll take good care of you.

I'll be taking the morning train from Seward to Anchorage as well. I am interested in more info on this too, but haven't found much.

From the information I received in my cruise documents, it will take approximately 5 hours to get to Anchorage. It also says that the luggage will travel independently to the airport where you will need to identify it upon arrival. I'm not sure if we will have to leave our luggage outside the door the night before or if we will have to carry it off the ship.

I believe we will be getting off the ship somewhere around 6am. We are thinking we will have to eat breakfast on the train. I'm not sure that anything will be open for breakfast before 6am.

Edited by tlw3184
add words

We've done the RCI cruise train transfer off Radiance. It's 126 mile 4 hour trip from Seward to ANC.

Our luggage was left outside our cabin door on the last night and we claimed it once off the train at ANC...No carousel they just set it out in a large area in the airport that you enter as you leave the train (much like at port terminals).

Yes there is time for breakfast (if you get up and going early)...the train leaves at 7:30am and arrives into ANC at 11:30am...no stops along the way. They do also sell food and drinks onboard the train...you'll be given a menu and the guide will go from table to table taking your order...and then deliver it to you.

There is no dome on this train (Grandview Railroad) but each car has an outside observation area.

Line up early as seating assignments are given in that order (request to face front) there are four seats facing each other along each side of the train with a small table in between...not much room for carry on's at all.

This was an amazing trip...each car has their own guide...doing commentary along the way...and each has their own restroom.

You'll be so glad you opted for this cruiseline train transfer...we certainly were.

Thanks everyone for the input. Sad there are no domes, but I guess I can understand that given that everyone would want to sit there and there's no premium to winnow that number. The luggage valet might be a worthwhile investment. What is that cost these days?

I don't really want to think about gettin off of the ship when I haven't gotten on it yet, but I'm planning for a group of 6 adults and someone has to be the grownup.

Last June we took the train. At the airport we boarded buses and went to "Anchorage City Center" in downtown Anchorage. All luggage was in this convention center. You showed ID and could get to your luggage. You were given assigned buses to catch to airport depending on your flight time. Basically they expect you to hang out and shop/sightsee. All we wanted was food and a place to nap.

A few years prior we rented a hotel room for the day. Slept, showered, ate and took shuttle to airport. Worth every dime.

Enjoy your trip. Alaska is my favorite Cruise Ever!

We've done the RCI cruise train transfer off Radiance. It's 126 mile 4 hour trip from Seward to ANC.

Our luggage was left outside our cabin door on the last night and we claimed it once off the train at ANC...No carousel they just set it out in a large area in the airport that you enter as you leave the train (much like at port terminals).

Yes there is time for breakfast (if you get up and going early)...the train leaves at 7:30am and arrives into ANC at 11:30am...no stops along the way. They do also sell food and drinks onboard the train...you'll be given a menu and the guide will go from table to table taking your order...and then deliver it to you.

There is no dome on this train (Grandview Railroad) but each car has an outside observation area.

Line up early as seating assignments are given in that order (request to face front) there are four seats facing each other along each side of the train with a small table in between...not much room for carry on's at all.

This was an amazing trip...each car has their own guide...doing commentary along the way...and each has their own restroom.

You'll be so glad you opted for this cruiseline train transfer...we certainly were.

while there are no actual stops the train will slow down to view small glaciers, bears and other things of interest

while there are no actual stops the train will slow down to view small glaciers, bears and other things of interest

5adfecfc19034a5b747aaf84a2aaea01.jpgd3579ee44deaa539f327489697dd2761.jpge0b81264f26d5be9171c969a1f857ffc.jpg

Here are a few pics of the train we rode from Anchorage to Seward. As you can see, the roof is domed glass but frosted on the very top to reduce sunshine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The train is awesome - we did it last year (on Celebrity). We didn't see our luggage until we arrived an ANC airport. The cruise line had a separate room where all the luggage was. No luggage valet so we had to check in - it was odd because the airline check in didn't even open until around 12:30 (we had a 3PM flight). We simply stood in line until the airline opened the check in.

The train ride itself was great - very scenic. They serve food on the train, etc. Took about 3-1/2 hours from Seward to ANC. The train literally pulled right into the airport.

Thanks HicksRA for your information. We, too, are starting in Seward. So, how did your logistics work? Fly into ANC day or two before? Then get to train depot next day? What time does the train leave for Seward and when do you arrive? How does the luggage transfer work TO the Radiance? Also, it looks like from your photos that there are dome cars for the ride to Seward. Yes? How did you reserve your train?

Thank you,

Liz

Norwegian Cruise Line (don't remember the boat name) 1985

Disney Magic 2001

Disney Fantasy 2017

Disney Dream 2018 sailing concierge

RCCL Radiance of the Seas 2019 sailing concierge

Just an FYI so there's no confusion...The pictures posted above are not of the cruiseline transfer train. The train used for transfers is the Grandview Railroad...and that train is not domed. Google for pics and info.

Just an FYI so there's no confusion...The pictures posted above are not of the cruiseline transfer train. The train used for transfers is the Grandview Railroad...and that train is not domed. Google for pics and info.

Sorry sir/madam, but this is the Royal Carribean transfer train from the Anchorage airport to Seward. There is no confusion.

We booked everything through Air2Sea. Our plane arrived at the Anchorage airport early on the morning of our cruise (2:00 @) and we just hung around the airport until our time to board the train at 1:00 pm.

We actually checked in and got our Sea Pass cards there before boarding the train.

The train station we left from is on the bottom floor of the airport. It is used solely by the cruise lines for this purpose. All cars were the same as in my picture. This was on June of last year.

After gathering our luggage from baggage claim, there was a place set aside with large signs where RCI took our bags and took them straight to Seward.

We arrived in Seward @ 6:45 pm.

Sorry sir/madam, but this is the Royal Carribean transfer train from the Anchorage airport to Seward. There is no confusion.

We booked everything through Air2Sea. Our plane arrived at the Anchorage airport early on the morning of our cruise (2:00 @) and we just hung around the airport until our time to board the train at 1:00 pm.

We actually checked in and got our Sea Pass cards there before boarding the train.

The train station we left from is on the bottom floor of the airport. It is used solely by the cruise lines for this purpose. All cars were the same as in my picture. This was on June of last year.

After gathering our luggage from baggage claim, there was a place set aside with large signs where RCI took our bags and took them straight to Seward.

We arrived in Seward @ 6:45 pm.

I was merely posting on my personal experience with RCI cruiseline train transfers from Seward-ANC. Possibly things have changed and they no longer use the Grandview Railroad that we were on. If so...what a nice change.

Thank you, HicksRA. Since posting my query just a few hours ago, I've been watching youtube videos that show the ANC to Seward train. Looks wonderful. So, gauging from your response, if your train got in around 645pm, then you were one of the last ones on the ship (along with everyone else on the train)? Also, how far out from your cruise were you able to book your Air2Sea?

Thank you, HicksRA. Since posting my query just a few hours ago, I've been watching youtube videos that show the ANC to Seward train. Looks wonderful. So, gauging from your response, if your train got in around 645pm, then you were one of the last ones on the ship (along with everyone else on the train)? Also, how far out from your cruise were you able to book your Air2Sea?

Yes, they were basically waiting on us when we got there. It’s about a 100 yard walk from the train to the ship and we got right on the ship.

As far as Air2Sea, I think I booked that portion around 6/7 months ahead of departure date. In booking, they offered a choice of bus or train to Seward, the train being an extra $40pp. It was the best $40 I’ve spent in a long time.