How do I arrange for a low salt diet for all 3 meals every day?

As mentioned by another poster, cheese can be high in salt.

Another bad suggestion was the one about drinking bottled mineral water (San Pellegrino was mentioned).

Mineral water can have a hefty dose of sodium in the water.

San Pellegrino sparkling water content lists zero sodium: https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/san-pellegrino-sparkling-water,434939/

If anything, there is a barely detectable trace as noted on its own label. Reading food labeling and doing easy online research today is the best way to prevent passing on unfounded food myths.

I mentioned San Pellegrino in my post as well as saying that I found that not drinking the ship's water worked FOR ME. This is my regimen, whether someone else thinks it's bad or not. I just disembarked from a 12 day cruise without swollen ankles or that uncomfortable bloated feeling, and, weighing 2 pounds less! There is no bad suggestion. People have to try what works best for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe that I have ever read how much sodium content there is in the ship's water. Does anyone know? Sodium would be the only reason I could think that bottled water would prevent bloating and weight gain. But, then, I have never felt the need to drink bottled water so my experience in comparing the two is nil. For that matter, I don't drink much water at all, and any bloating and weight gain aboard ship is due to other reasons, unfortunately.

I don't believe that I have ever read how much sodium content there is in the ship's water. Does anyone know? Sodium would be the only reason I could think that bottled water would prevent bloating and weight gain. But, then, I have never felt the need to drink bottled water so my experience in comparing the two is nil. For that matter, I don't drink much water at all, and any bloating and weight gain aboard ship is due to other reasons, unfortunately.

I may have misunderstood, but what I took from the decision to abstain from ship water is related to the chemicals the ship water is treated with to keep the recycled water free from pathogens. Turns out those chems act in the body as well the water. For anyone who is sensitive to environmental toxins or has compromised health, this can cause physical distress.

Ols Salt, I enjoyed your description of the science:D I find that, as long as I stay with a Himalayan salt or a sea salt that has a full compliment of minerals, I do well, and my body is happy. That said, on the ship no guarantee that it's one of the above :p Also, one of the markers I use to watch is the range of distance between my systolic and diastolic blood pressure. It's common for the distance to widen with age, and from what I've read, it's caused by a reduction of elasticity... and a reduction of all types of salt helps that :halo:

I don't believe that I have ever read how much sodium content there is in the ship's water. Does anyone know?

Zero. Ships use a desalination process which produces potable water onboard (from drinking fountains and cabin sink taps) that is completely free of sodium, and is some of the purest drinking water available on the planet!;):)

Where does all that Fresh Water come from?

Desalination is the process by which seawater is purified - removing salt and other minerals to make the water drinkable. All modern cruise ships now have an on-board desalination plant, which converts saltwater from the sea around them into purified, drinkable water.

It works by heat treating the water to collect the purified steam, then starting the process over to get every last drop.

Applications:

• Purifying seawater for consumption by passengers and crew.

The desalination process leaves water completely pure and is often noted to be some of the freshest tasting water passengers have ever drank.

As to OP's original question, you can request the next days menu from the MDR waiter/staff, then you circle what you want along with your dietary requirements (low sodium), name and cabin # and hand it back to them before 9am the next morning. This works only for the mdr as far as I know. Still you are in charge of your health so you need to be realistic. Even though something is low sodium doesn't mean it's low enough for you. Think of food on the ship as the same as a large chain restaurant, not your local mom and pop restaurant. If you check a large chain restaurant's nutrition on line you would find most soups and items with sauces (especially BBQ wings) very high in sodium. So if a normal soup is 2500 mg of sodium, lower might be 1500mg. Just keep that in mind. I have HP and kidney disease, it's very easy for me to tell if something was not low enough because about 2 hrs after eating my legs swell up. That said I have my dinners in the mdr having picked out my meal before hand, lunch frequently in the lido staying with salad (dressing on the side) or similar simply prepared items (ie baked potato, plain veggies, roasted meats). Try to avoid breads, dressed salads and luncheon meats as there is a lot of sodium in them and of course soups and sauces. Have a good time on your cruise, try not to stress (not good for your HP) and just try to make careful selections.

I may have misunderstood, but what I took from the decision to abstain from ship water is related to the chemicals the ship water is treated with to keep the recycled water free from pathogens. Turns out those chems act in the body as well the water. For anyone who is sensitive to environmental toxins or has compromised health, this can cause physical distress.

:halo:

Thanks for the explanation. You did not misunderstand. I was simply curious about the scientific attributes of the water.

As mentioned by another poster, cheese can be high in salt.

Another bad suggestion was the one about drinking bottled mineral water (San Pellegrino was mentioned).

Mineral water can have a hefty dose of sodium in the water.

Cheese was a suggestion for protein if eating fruits & vegetables. The body needs salt. The FDA steared everyone wrong for 20 years with that pyramid where fat was practically removed from diet & replaced with sugar & carbohydrates, resulting in Type 2 diabetes epidemic.

Common sense would be good.