ISO nice relaxing beach experience

Going to be on St. Kitts in June and looking for a nice relaxing beach to just hang out on. Things we are hoping for: Shade, economical food and drinks, nice water and sand, relaxing environment. Anybody have any good suggestions?

You might want to try Shipwreck at South Friars Beach. It will be a slow time of the year. There are very few ships that call during the Summer. You might see another ship in port when your ship calls on St Kitts but it will not be hectic as it can get during the season.

Our family enjoyed a wonderful day at Carambola Beach Club. The beach was lovely. The beach club was posh...padded chairs and good service. The bar makes a fantastic ginger lemon tea that's super addicting. There are massage folks on the beach...if you go, go to LaVerne close to the jet ski vendor...her service is great and she uses fresh aloe vera. We did try the jet skis and our boys had a wonderful time. There are also native island monkeys that you can take photos with for $5 per person...our boys liked the damned monkey the most. The walk down towards Shipwreck was cool because there's a strip of black sand beach. We'd gladly come back.

Shipwreck is more cost efficient, but I thought Carambola was completely worth it.

Carambola is probably what you are looking for. Check out my full review, listed in my signature line, and there's tons of pictures that include that strip of beach from Carambola to Discovery Beach (which seems to be very relaxing and not a lot of people when we were there) and down to Ship wreck.

Carambola is probably what you are looking for. Check out my full review, listed in my signature line, and there's tons of pictures that include that strip of beach from Carambola to Discovery Beach (which seems to be very relaxing and not a lot of people when we were there) and down to Ship wreck.

Thank you. I have read many of your reviews in the past and they were very helpful. I'll look for the St. Kitts one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 6 months later...

A little more info on Ship Wreck for anyone interested:

SHIPWRECK BAR AND GRILL REVIEW OCT 2017

Thanks to previous reviews, we gave this a try! Got off the ship 9:00’ish, intending to get a cab. There is a taxi stand right there - you can’t miss it. It is $16 per cab minimum but naturally they would much rather cram as many cruisers as possible in a minivan and charge you $4.00 each. No problem mon. So loaded to the hilt, off we went. It was a pleasant 10-15 min drive on very good St Kitt’s roadways. Our first stop, Carambola Beach Club looked like a beautiful resort. A lovely lady in the van with us said they charge you per lounger and per umbrella and the food is very very pricey. So we stuck with our original plan and she stayed with us!

Heads up, SHIPWRECK beach is actually Friars Bay Beach and it is totally underwhelming at first glance. The bar and grill has been reconstructed after the recent hurricanes with various pieces of lumber. There are several rows of well used loungers, the sand is black sand and there is a little but steep drop into the ocean. I fear I’m making it sound unappealing, however we had a FABULOUS DAY! The unobstructed endless ocean view makes up for lack of man made aesthetics. A pleasant breeze gently blew all the while. Drinks were cold, delicious and fairly priced. We didn’t eat, but a cheeseburger and fries were $8.00 and a hot dog $3.00. There is a fairly extensive printed menu which includes fresh fish daily. The friend we met in the van was glad she came with us!

The million dollar question - how were the washrooms? There is one shanty and it looked pretty sketchy from the outside, but I’ve been in FAR worse. Of course when you gotta go, you gotta go!

This beach is well-known for its drunk monkeys...legend says they used to steal patrons drinks. Signs say not to feed the monkeys. All we saw were lots of mongooses (mongeese ?) which are entertaining too. The grill folk put out platters of what they call “leftovers” for them as well as sugar cane. Perhaps if we’d have stayed longer the monkeys may have appeared but after 1/2 a day I was needing my creature comforts of the ship which took presidence over monkey sightings!

Wonderful employees Simone and Janesia called us a cab which arrived in less than five minutes. We were happy to pay and tip totalling $20 and be dropped of at the shops right at the pier. Wonderful, budget friendly day, highly recommended as long as you don’t demand fancy. There were all ages with us, no reports of anemones and many went swimming.

Actually the drunk monkeys that can be found on a YouTube video, were filmed at the old Turtle Beach Bar. That video is at least 10 years old. The monkeys at Shipwreck are quite shy. The owner of Shipwreck feeds them sugar cane and not table scraps.

Do you know if the taxis to South Friars or Cockleshell always stop at Timothy Hill, or is that something you have to request before you get in? Will they stop if a majority of the passengers do not want to? I would like to stop and get some pictures, but I don't really want to force anyone to do it that does not want to.