Getting to LL Bean from Portland Maine

Be aware that time of year, day of week, etc can affect the amount of traffic in the little town of Freeport.

I have been there (long ago) when things were bumper to bumper. It's a popular place.

There are shops other than Bean's that may catch your interest.

Not sure if it is still true, but there was one small section of Beans that amounted to an Outlet Store. Tho the bargains were few. After all, it is LL Bean.

It's the only place where I actually ever saw an 8 guage shotgun for sale....ammo, too. It looked like a small deck gun! LOL

Have a great time!

Be aware that time of year, day of week, etc can affect the amount of traffic in the little town of Freeport.

I have been there (long ago) when things were bumper to bumper. It's a popular place.

There are shops other than Bean's that may catch your interest.

Not sure if it is still true, but there was one small section of Beans that amounted to an Outlet Store. Tho the bargains were few. After all, it is LL Bean.

It's the only place where I actually ever saw an 8 guage shotgun for sale....ammo, too. It looked like a small deck gun! LOL

Have a great time!

Summer is the worst in Freeport, not sure if OP is doing a leaf peeper cruise, its not as bad. Outlet store is still there, bargains change from day to day, got some real good deals there. Helps to be local. :D

One thing the OP should look for, is that none of Bean's store doors even have locks installed, let alone used, since they are open 24/365.

Summer is the worst in Freeport, not sure if OP is doing a leaf peeper cruise, its not as bad. Outlet store is still there, bargains change from day to day, got some real good deals there. Helps to be local. :D

One thing the OP should look for, is that none of Bean's store doors even have locks installed, let alone used, since they are open 24/365.

Leaf peeper? love it.

Wife and MIL leaving early Sep.

I get the honour of doing all the research and booking for them.

If your hours and day fit in, try taking the Downeaster train.

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/

Not real viable for a cruise ship port call. Northbound you're limited to the noon train, and southbound your only option is the 7pm arrival in Portland, and most ships have sailed by then. $6 per person, each way and add the $12 each way taxi from the pier to the train station, and the cost savings just isn't there.

Edited by chengkp75

I would keep checking rental car prices.

There are other shops in Freeport besides LL Bean, though Bean is a cool and different experience too. If you need a snack, there is the Harraseeket Inn which has good food.

cheapest option?

Booking though the ship is a little pricey, and only allows 4 hours shopping.

any other options?

Just a thought--wouldn't renting a car be cheaper than a cruise excursion when you think of it as splitting the cost of the rental between the two of you (or among, if more than two)? We thought about doing the cruiseline tour, but we definitely wanted more than four hours of shopping time, especially since there are other stores nearby.

cheapest option?

Booking though the ship is a little pricey, and only allows 4 hours shopping.

any other options?

Order things on-line and take the day and do something else. I understand the fascination with shopping and LL Bean in particular, but why waste a great port day driving there and back, when you can basically do the same thing on line. Rent a car, go to Kennebunkport, even Boothbay harbor, or experience Portland,

anyway, that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Len