Uber loses London licence

Agree, buses, tube, bike or walk are all cheaper than uber. Often black cabs are as well as the drivers speak English, know the route, how to avoid traffic and have entertaining conversation in a safe environment. Also the fares don't vary by time of day and are metered, with uber you do not know, plus the drivers rely only on sat nav ,London cabbies are the best compared to other cities where the drivers have no clue where they are going especially in the states I.e. NY.

We have had this "Uber is cheaper than the tube" comment several times recently. It only holds up if you are comparing multiple people doing a small number of journeys on a given day, and usually comparing the very high single cash fare (£4-90) rather than the £2-40 contactless single or £6-60 daily cap on the tube. But it explains why there are so many of the darn things on the roads!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just spent two weeks in London and used uber everywhere and they were great and affordable. In fact uber was cheaper than the tube most of the time. I also ordered from uber eats twice. Yes, black cabs are more professional but they are insanely expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

That's a very valid point of view, of course. But it is a long way from your original statement that, "In fact uber was cheaper than the tube most of the time" [emoji846]

Transport choices are always a balance of convenience, speed and price, so there is seldom an absolute best choice, particularly in London with its numerous options. From the airport, a private transfer waiting for you in a terminal would be about the same price as Uber, but we should probably mention them more often as an option (they are easier to arrange, of course, with the app on the day).

Did you have to wait long for the Uber to come in from their authorised area (they are not allowed to circulate the airport) and how easy was it to find the meet point in the car park?

For what it's worth, reading the mood music, I think Uber and TfL will come to an agreement, whereby they keep their licence. They will no doubt have to do more on compliance and safety, and it remains to be seen if that would mean higher (more economically realistic) fares.

In the meantime, hopefully both black cabs and traditional private hire firms will continue to innovate on both customer service and price to compete.

In the meantime, hopefully both black cabs and traditional private hire firms will continue to innovate on both customer service and price to compete.

Private hire firms will, but black cabs will just keep moaning "it's not fair" and continue to do everything to make the product they offer undesirable.

Your kidding, cheaper than 2 £ 40 ? (yes that's the price for a ride with the tube, if you got an Oyster Card)

In my country Switzerland, that's the price you pay, just to get into a taxi....

Uber works particularly well, if you have large group. We had a group of 6, and it was cheaper oftentimes, to just order an UberXL for the group of 6, rather than pay 6 x oyster card fare.