White Pass Yukon Train/Bus - Which Direction Is Best?

ChitterChatter

I'm getting ready to book my bus/train tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours and I was wondering in which direction would you recommend taking the train ride versus the bus tour?

From what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards taking the bus tour first in case there's fog early in the morning and taking the train ride back to Skagway. Another reason for that choice is because it seems like the scenery is a bit nicer on the way back.

Does it really matter one way or another? Opinions please!!

A third vote for riding the train going up through the pass - you shouldn't discount the historical aspect - you see what the miners and then the track builders "saw" going up through the pass.

Also, don't assume that fog is in the AM and clears in the PM. On my last trip, there was no morning fog, and by the afternoon, the Chilkoot driver commented that he was glad that he drove the road everyday and knew where everything was as you couldn't see 10 feet from the bus!!!!!:eek:

Wow, I'm glad I asked before I booked my tour. I could have swore I read on other posts that the majority of people preferred the bus first, but it's very possible I'm getting things confused after all the reading I've been doing lately :confused:.

OK, so just to confirm, when you say you prefer the train "going up" you mean from Skagway to Fraser?

Does the train have bathrooms?

Thanks everyone!

I want to be another to chime in on the "take the train up" aspect. Weather is weather and can happen morning or afternoon. Historic aspect is big. Scenery lays out nice going up.

John

Office of Frasier Bound Choo-Choos

The Zamgwar Institute

I was very glad to see this post. I was wondering the same thing. What I had been reading was that there was more historical information provided on the trip up, but there were likely to be fewer people on the train on the trip down. Also, that weather is usually a bigger concern in the mornings.

I will definitely be booking the train on the way up, now that I have the information everyone has provided. (taking the train down also meant getting back to the dock an hour later, so I was worried about the time back to the ship).

Thanks again for posting, and everyone that provided info.

Darr

Archived