San Marco Museum Venice

rkr

I would like to see the Dragonetti Bass in the Museum of the Basilica of San Marco.

Can you purchase advance tickets for just the museum?

Should I pay for a tour? If so, how do I make sure that I am going to see the bass on the tour.

Advise? Tour company?

Thanks,

Kathy

I would like to see the Dragonetti Bass in the Museum of the Basilica of San Marco.

Can you purchase advance tickets for just the museum?

Should I pay for a tour? If so, how do I make sure that I am going to see the bass on the tour.

Advise? Tour company?

Thanks,

Kathy

By my recollection (which might be faulty, and things might have changed), the museum entrance is inside the Basilica itself. So you first get in the Basilica. You can indeed pre-purchase a ticket to get in at a nominal fee (a couple euros). If you wait in line, I think it is free to enter, but the lines get long, so it's worth the euros to be able to walk to the front of the line. Once inside the Basilica, you then need to pay an additional 5 euros to get up to the museum if you desire to do so, which is in the upper level. I don't recall an ability to pre-pay this, and I don't recall any significant line to get into the museum even though the outside line was lengthy. Personally, I don't see a need for a tour or guide for this at all.

After you enter the basilica (either via waiting in line or advance ticket), you'll enter the vestibule. All the way toward the right is a narrow set of stairs and (I think) a small sign pointing the way to the museum.

You have to climb the steps first, then you pay admission at the top. There has not been a line either time I've been, but I don't go in high season (one visit in April, one in November).

I can't vouch for the bass, as I'm not a musician it wasn't on my radar. But I've just looked up some reviews from Tripadvisor and a select few mention seeing the bass -- behind glass, however. See here, for example: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d191226-r487896043-Basilica_di_San_Marco-Venice_Veneto.html

The museum is small, I don't think tours are offered (or needed). The chief highlights for me were the original bronze horses and getting closer-up views of many of the mosaics. Oh, and the outstanding views over the piazza and piazzetta...