Power strips with Surge Protector.

Lyn1Lyn

On two recent cruises out of Bayonne NJ (RC and Celebrity), they confiscated my non-surge protector power strip. I was told that they no longer want the responsibility to determine if each power strip people bring are legal or not, so they prohibit *all* power strips, surge protector or not. They tag them and give them back when you return.

The ones I have are cheapo 4 plug strips from a junk store called Five-Below. No surge protection and was able to use on many cruises in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCCL made me take my power strip back to the car on my recent Vista cruise out of PC as well.

Most US flag ships have 110v power, but the rest of the world tends towards the 220v systems. On ships that are 220v, like most I've been on over the last 25 years, even US flag ones, we use transformers and power strips. (Yes, even on non-cruise ships, there are shortages of outlets).

Most modern electronics don't need converters now. You will simply need an adapter to make sure the plug and outlets match.

We got a neat little travel adapter that came with 5 different plugs that will fit in outlets around the world. It has two outlets and two USB ports. It worked perfect. Then when we had a few things plugged in and we were leaving I could just pull one thing out of the wall. I didn't feel comfortable leaving anything plugged in while we were out of the room.

Most modern electronics don't need converters now. You will simply need an adapter to make sure the plug and outlets match.

It is important that you make sure that your electronics are dual voltage. If they are it'll be noted on the adapter or on the device itself. For example, in the image below, note that the "INPUT" is listed as "100-240V". That's what you're looking for.

97a427664fd450ad680d7f94baa12717.jpg

We got a neat little travel adapter that came with 5 different plugs that will fit in outlets around the world. It has two outlets and two USB ports. It worked perfect. Then when we had a few things plugged in and we were leaving I could just pull one thing out of the wall. I didn't feel comfortable leaving anything plugged in while we were out of the room.

Yes, if you are talking about phones, tablets, and the like. I am talking about desktop computers, printers, scanners, monitors and TV's, satellite boxes, DVR's, electrical power tools, handheld radio chargers and more industrial equipment than most cruisers take on the ship.

I would also suggest you look at the travel adapter for whether it is surge protected or not, as most units that combine power outlets and USB ports are surge protected, and therefore should not be used on the ships.

Since most of our devices today that needs power is charged via USB.

I'd just get this.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506693135&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+usb+charger

It's a 6 port usb. You can get an euro plug adapter too and plug it into the 240v plug on the ship and leave the other 120 free for normal use.