Is there parking at wharf 8 sydney whilst cruising?

Hi all,

Does anyone know about parking for cruise passengers departing sydney wharf 8? or is the only option a taxi & train ride.

It would be nice to just jump in the car and head home rather than catching a taxi & train back up the coast after the cruise.:D

can't wait, so excited!

There is a parking area at Wharf 8, but this is only for short term parking where you park your car so you can drop off your big luggage.

There is long term parking at Darling Harbour. It is Harbourside Parking (Wilsons Parking) in Murray Street, Darling Harbour.

http://www.wilsonparking.com.au/go/wilson-car-parks/nsw/harbourside

They have a deal with P&O for long term parking for $14.00 per day. We have used this and it's good.

The carpark has access to the Darling Harbour shops which is only a short walk over the Pyrmont Bridge to Wharf 8. This is fine if you only have your carry on luggage.

This may seem expensive, but shuttles from Newcastle cost $145.00 each return. If you are on a 10 day cruise, it is cheaper to use the parking station.

As far as I know there is no specific long-term parking areas near the wharf. There are plenty of commercial parking stations up a few streets around the area but to stay long-term (7-14 day or more) would cost an arm and a leg. It would be much cheaper and easier to travel by cab or bus from airport to ship and return.

If we can't con family or friends to take us down, we hire a car from Avis and drive down. They have a depot at Star City, so we drop luggage off at wharf, drive to Star City, leave car and depending on weather, either taxi or walk back to Wharf 8. Reverse process when we return, but get a taxi cause we've got all luggage on way back and are stuffed from 10 days of partying:D .

Jenny

Not exactly sure, Graeme flashes his Wendys credit card, I think it's about $80 each way. He's not happy about getting buses or trains from here, and the time of the day is always compatible to a drive down the F3.

Jenny

If I ask nice and buy an icecream from him, will he flash his Wendy's card for us too? :p

$160.00 return......not too bad.

Last time we sailed, our youngest daughter lived in North Sydney and we left our car with her. Unfortunately, she now lives at Baulkham Hills. :(

I will have to give it some thought. Thanks for the info. :)

Hi all,

Does anyone know about parking for cruise passengers departing sydney wharf 8? or is the only option a taxi & train ride.

It would be nice to just jump in the car and head home rather than catching a taxi & train back up the coast after the cruise.:D

can't wait, so excited!

if you do a google search you will come across some, here is one example

http://www.kingsandqueens.com.au/rates.htm

rkmw

Hi all,

can't wait, so excited!

Train & taxi is the cheaper option from the Central Coast (assuming you can get to a station easily). We did a limo trip last time and can highly recommend it as an easy, hassle free way of returning home after a cruise. I find driving a car out of Sydney to be as much hassle as getting to a train.

Our next cruise on Rhapsody leaves from Circular Quay, so it will be train to Meadowbank then River Cat to Circular Quay for $23.50 each. It is only $18 to go by train the whole way, but the extra $5.50 will give us a river cruise under the bridge and past our waiting ship.

A ferry from the Quay to Darling Harbour adds an extra $5.20.

Thanks Jen for the info about Wilsons carparking. We will have all our luggage with us, do you think it's too far to walk?

We've decided to start the holiday in style :) and travel up the day before. We live on the south coast and don't really want to be up too early and have to race to Sydney. Will book a nice hotel in Darling Harbour, have a bit of a sleep in and take our time.

Ella

Thanks Jen for the info about Wilsons carparking. We will have all our luggage with us, do you think it's too far to walk?

We've decided to start the holiday in style :) and travel up the day before. We live on the south coast and don't really want to be up too early and have to race to Sydney. Will book a nice hotel in Darling Harbour, have a bit of a sleep in and take our time.

Ella

Hi Ella,

Why not drive to Wharf 8 (or wherever the ship is) and drop your luggage off, keeping only your hand luggage (valuables etc.) Drive the car to the parking station and then you do not have to walk with a lot of luggage.:):)

It is too far to walk with all your luggage. The taxi costs about $10.00 and is worth it.

You need to walk over the Pyrmont Bridge, past the Aquarium and down the waterfront to Wharf 8. It is too far for us with our big luggage.

Grab a cab. :)

Ella

Four Points Sheraton on Sussex Street is good - only a short walk downhill to cruise terminal - look on Wotif for a good deal this is what we did last cruise, went down to King Street Wharf for breaky - great view of PD to get the excitement going even more! :D

Hi all,

can't wait, so excited!

We booked a mini bus this time, works out at $38 each return to Hills District. This is a good option for us as we are a group of 6.

We had a limo last time which is great but expensive. Public transport...forget it if you have luggage.

Don't forget the tolls add to the cost if travelling by car.

Thanks bluegumflats, do you know if 4 points is the closest hotel to the wharf? :confused:

AFAIK, Medina Grand Harbourside on Shelley St is the closest to Wharf 8

PS Jenny - SNAP

There is a parking area at Wharf 8, but this is only for short term parking where you park your car so you can drop off your big luggage.

There is long term parking at Darling Harbour. It is Harbourside Parking (Wilsons Parking) in Murray Street, Darling Harbour.

http://www.wilsonparking.com.au/go/wilson-car-parks/nsw/harbourside

They have a deal with P&O for long term parking for $14.00 per day. We have used this and it's good.

The carpark has access to the Darling Harbour shops which is only a short walk over the Pyrmont Bridge to Wharf 8. This is fine if you only have your carry on luggage.

I emailed Wilsons Parking in regards to the "deal with P&O" as we are not cruising with P&O. I received a reply back today in regards to parking at Darling Harbour as follows;

Hi Kim

Please find below the information you require for the cruise.

The parking is available to everyone going on a cruise.

You will have to enter the Car park at 100 Murray Street at least 1.5 hours before the cruise departs.

Then you will have to go to the pay station and see the attendant once you have parked your car and speak to the attendant explain what you are doing and he will help you.

Give him your name, contact Rego and the number of days you are going to park for.

Put your ticket in a safe place.

Then when you return you do the reverse.

If the attendant is not there just call the number provided.

The fee is $14.00 a day.

Regards

Gordon

Hope others find this info useful.

Cheers,

Thanks bluegumflats, do you know if 4 points is the closest hotel to the wharf? :confused:

Medina Grand is closer than the 4 points but not that much in it - there is also Metro Inn Darling Harbour appartments in between these as well. I guess it just depends on what you are wanting or how much you want to spend for the night. They are all in walking distance to ship even with your bags.

Hope this helps

Nikki:)

• 1 year later...

$14 a day sounds good to me. Last time we traveled to the City by cab it cost $240 return from Camden. Were on the Dawn Princess on the 3rd for a luncheon, Pacific Jewel July and Pacific Sun in December so will be doing the $14 a day thing.

my first posting - Hello Australia

$14 a day sounds good to me. Last time we traveled to the City by cab it cost $240 return from Camden. Were on the Dawn Princess on the 3rd for a luncheon, Pacific Jewel July:o and Pacific Sun in December:) so will be doing the $14 a day thing.

My first posting - Hello Australia

:cool:M

image.php?code=0XT132b661Xk1Xs22XPacif Jewel Getaway

image.php?code=0XT132b858Xk2Xs23XPacific Sun Getaway

$14 a day sounds good to me. Last time we traveled to the City by cab it cost $240 return from Camden. Were on the Dawn Princess on the 3rd for a luncheon, Pacific Jewel July and Pacific Sun in December so will be doing the $14 a day thing.

my first posting - Hello Australia

hi all Australian, you can catch the aiport shuttle from Camden...they charge $179 return from Campbelltown for 2 people so i suppose Camden might be the same....they are Ace Airport Shuttle phone no. 46531150....we use them ourself

rkmw

• 10 months later...
Hi I know its a bit of diging but i was wondering if this deal with wilson parking was still running?. we are travelling on the 29th march and have 2 kids with us.

dave

Hi Dave

I contacted Wilsons a couple of weeks ago to ask and they informed me that deal is still running.

Also, have you investigated getting a limo to drive you to the ship? It might be a similar cost.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great cruise!

Archived