London Theatre Attire

I am wondering what the "dress code" is for attending the theatre in London. For anyone who has been to a Broadway show, you know that it's pretty much "anything goes" - from jeans to sequins and everything in between. We will be spending the day seeing the sights (probably the HO/HO bus) and don't know if we need to plan time to return to our hotel to change or can go directly. Also, if we do go right from sightseeing (and shopping :D), is there any place at the theatre to check our bags?

We have tickets for "Oliver" at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!

As others have said anything goes. You will see people in jeans & sneakers, I think because they have been out all day sightseeing.

Most theatres have cloakrooms that will take your coats for a fee, but i'm not sure if they take packages as well.

You could try emailing the group that owns the Theatre Royal at

online_team@reallyuseful.co.uk

I just returned from London, and yes, anything goes. I am not sure when you are going to be there, but I thoroughly enjoyed 'Calendar Girls' and did not care for 'Carrie's War' (left at intermission.) Do try to get to the Royal Albert Hall if you haven't been there. It's stunning! Saw the Proms 'Fidelio' there. Enjoy!!!

I just returned from London, and yes, anything goes. I am not sure when you are going to be there, but I thoroughly enjoyed 'Calendar Girls' and did not care for 'Carrie's War' (left at intermission.) Do try to get to the Royal Albert Hall if you haven't been there. It's stunning! Saw the Proms 'Fidelio' there. Enjoy!!!

Thanks again. We leave in two weeks and will be in London 3 nights pre-cruise (NCL Jewel transatlantic, Dover to NYC). We have tickets for Oliver and will try to see something else, if time allows. It's our first time in London, we know that there is lots to see and do.

I adore the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. It has some very unusual characteristics including a ladies toilet right off the seating area. How sensible.

I was over dressed in a dinner suit and nice shoes but no one seemed to mind.

You can your drinks ahead of time so you can pick them up during the intermission. Very handy! Get to that area early enough to enjoy it before your show.

Have to say I'm very envious of you! I would love to get to see this show ( Although I live in London I'm on mummy duty to a little un, so can't get off to theatreland much these days).

Thought you might be interested to know that Nancy was the winner of a BBC talent search with Andew Lloyd Webber at the helm. Fagin is a great Iranian comedian called Omid Dhajlili. A couple of other cast members are quite well known in the Uk too. Great show by all accounts!

Have to say I'm very envious of you! I would love to get to see this show ( Although I live in London I'm on mummy duty to a little un, so can't get off to theatreland much these days).

Thought you might be interested to know that Nancy was the winner of a BBC talent search with Andew Lloyd Webber at the helm. Fagin is a great Iranian comedian called Omid Dhajlili. A couple of other cast members are quite well known in the Uk too. Great show by all accounts!

I have been reading about the production. The actress you mentioned who is playing the role of Nancy will be on vacation during our perfomance, but I am familiar with the actor playing Fagin - he appeared in a short lived television comedy here in the US a few years ago starring Whoopi Goldberg. I am sorry that we missed seeing Roland Atkinson. I am certain that it will be one of the highlights of our trip.

Since you have all been so helpful, do you have any recommendations for dinner in the area?

Archived