What if we miss Tunis due to unrest?

Each cruise line will look at the situation and decide how to handle it. Some will add a day at sea, others will substitute another port. Which port? That will be for them to decide, in consultation with the port.

Agree with Paul above and Lilybob. The cruise lines will be on top of "things", monitor it "all" closely and do what's best for your and their safety. BUT, you might not get to Tunis. Parts of the Middle East are rather uncertain right now. We'd like to see Egypt and other areas there. BUT, our focus right now is on our next major cruise to do Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this nice ship, finishing in Auckland. Less worries and concerns "down under". Would not want to be doing a cruise sailing through the Suez Canal right now.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks for the info. I would love to visit Malta or Sardinia but I guess it will be a surprise on the day.

Terry - you've got a wonderful holiday to look forward to. Not sure if you have already sailed from our beautiful Sydney Harbour before but it gives me goosebumps it's so lovely :p NZ has great ports and really cater for the tourists. Enjoy.

Terry - you've got a wonderful holiday to look forward to. Not sure if you have already sailed from our beautiful Sydney Harbour before but it gives me goosebumps it's so lovely :p NZ has great ports and really cater for the tourists. Enjoy.

Appreciate your great comments from "down under"!!! YES, we are really excited about this trip on the Solstice. Just had our first "dinner planning meeting" last night with three of the other couples from Central Ohio planning to do this trip with us. Lots of great options to consider, PLUS, what to do and where before the cruise departs Sydney. Right now, our two top priorities before Sydney are Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest and Kangaroo Island. Are those the right and best options to consider? Our cruise will, fortunately, stop at Hobart, Tasmania. Added key tips or things missing during our initial planning?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks for the info. I would love to visit Malta or Sardinia but I guess it will be a surprise on the day.

HAL substituted Malta for Tripoli about 3 years ago--wonderful place. I am excited to go back this October. Yes--Sydney harbor is awesome. Had the opportunity to do it 3x last Nov/Dec on 3 b/b cruises. We so much enjoyed our 4 day Sydney pre-cruise.

Appreciate your great comments from "down under"!!! YES, we are really excited about this trip on the Solstice. Just had our first "dinner planning meeting" last night with three of the other couples from Central Ohio planning to do this trip with us. Lots of great options to consider, PLUS, what to do and where before the cruise departs Sydney. Right now, our two top priorities before Sydney are Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest and Kangaroo Island. Are those the right and best options to consider? Our cruise will, fortunately, stop at Hobart, Tasmania. Added key tips or things missing during our initial planning?

Terry,

we lived in Sydney for a while and traveled around Australia like avid tourists! I strongly recommend you stay in Port Douglas rather than Cairns. It is closer to the reef and right by the rain forest, has beautiful beaches (Cairns does not), great restaurants and nice places to stay. If you stay in Cairns you will probably drive to PG for the reef and definitely for the rain forest. The airport is between Cairns and PG so the distance does not matter much. Three or four nights are good there. Take one of the smaller boats to the reef, not the Quicksilver megaboat. You can book them right at PG.

Kangaroo Island is fun. You have to fly to Adelaide to get there. Make sure you stay a couple of days at Adelaide and drive to the Barossa valley one day.

Of course, consider Ayers Rock (Uluru) if you have the time. Two nights are just right. Stay at Sails on the Dessert at the resort. Take the Anangu aboriginal tour around the rock and the barbecue and star gazing tour at night.

While in Sydney, go up to the Blue Mountains. The main town is Katoomba. There is a great hotel there - Lillienfells. Also, many B&Bs. Book a 4-wheel drive tour of the mountains, preferably one that takes you to the Jenolan caves. You will probably see kangaroos, wallaroos and wombats. It can be done as a day trip from Sydney. They can pick you up at the train station.

Qantas has an air pass to fly around Oz. Check on it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We did the Blue Mountains one day, Featherdale Wildlife park, Opera HOuse tour and performance, Watson's Bay, Manley Beach, etc. etc. Also HOHO bus the day we arrived. Then our RCI cruise took us up to Brisbane and back including the GBR. (IMHO, I enjoyed Bora Bora much more than the GBR--but it the thing to do there.) Then it was back to Sydney for another day and we went to the Aquarium (awesome) because it was a rainy day.) Then boarded the Sea Princess to NZ for 2 weeks, returning to Sydney and then to Tasmania for a week. We did enjoy the Blue Mountains, and for Aussies, it is very unique. But, depending on where you have traveled in the US, it is not as exciting as some of the parks here. But a nice experience on the train, rain forest walk, sky ride, etc. Our 5 week trip was awesome. We did not do any interior such as "the Rock" Australia as you know is such a huge place, it would take a LONG time to do it justice. US was in at he minority on the ship and Aussies were in large numbers. But they were so genuinely friendly and we shared so much. The Sydney people were SO helpful on the streets, trains, etc. We did everything by public transportation using the Multipass. Could have spend more time there.Enjoy.

Terry, I definitely agree with staying in Port Douglas, we weren't keen on Cairns. How long will you have in Sydney prior to your cruise? Half the fun of a trip is in the planning, and with 3 other couples you'll have a ball.:D:D

Archived