Cycling Excursion in Quebec City

Taz

Has anyone done the cycling excursion (Bicycle Adventure to Montmorency Falls) that HAL offers in Quebec City? If so, what did you think of it? Was it more scenic or urban/industrial?The description sounds interesting but only 1 of 4 reviews on the HAL website were positive. I'm in good physical shape so 15 miles would be an easy ride for me.

We did it in 2009. It was ok. The falls are nice - worth seeing - but most of the trail is an "urban" bike trail running through the city and suburbs. I also remember that they made us walk about a mile from the ship to the bike shop, which was no big deal, but it took up alot of time to move that many people from ship to shop.

My wife and I did the bike trip ourselves in 2012. Didn't use the HAL excursion. Really no need to. You can easily walk to a bike store to rent bikes and the trail is well marked. Agree with previous poster about the nature of the trail. Neither of us had been on bikes for a VERY long time but it wasn't very hard so I'm guessing the level of difficulty of the trail is not too high.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the shop we used but it wasn't more than a mile away so probably can get it on a google map. The shop gave us a map of the trail and there were very nice bars and restaurants to stop at on the walk back to the ship.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Renting on my own sounds like the way to go if I decide to go with cycling. That way I could even go on embarkation day once I've checked in and dropped my things in my cabin since the first night is an overnight in port.

We saw lots of people riding bikes on the greenway along the river near the ship when we were in Quebec last month. Waiting until you get there sounds like a good plan. We had beautiful weather the day we arrived and then a very rainy embarkation day. The rain was spotty the following day, which is when we saw all the cyclists. It would have been a good day to ride to the falls and back.

As a native of Québec city, this appears to be the closest place to rent a bike (from the cruise terminal). Rue St Paul is very close to the ship.

Cyclo services

289, rue Saint-Paul, Québec, QC G1K 3W6

418-692-4052

Happyglobetrotter: I'm also an x-native of QC. Perhaps Taz should bike West along Champlain Blvd to Ste. Foy, cross the older Quebec bridge to the South shore, then East to Lévis and take the ferry boat back close to the ship would be a better route. Any comments on this route suggestion for Taz?

Archived