Avalon Affinity

1americanrev

Will be on the Affinity next month on the Rhine River and cruise information arrived today. My papers said suggested tipping was 15 Euro's a day(this would be $21.00). This seems rather high and would work out to close to $300 for the week for 2 of us. It has been awhile sine we have cruised and am curious if this is the norm.

Also, can my husband leave the sport coat at home? Would Dockers and casual shirts be OK?

Dockers and casual are absolutely fine. The sports coat can be left behind as even the 'captains' dinner is very low key. There may be a few wearing sports coats. It's really up to your husband if he will feel comfortable.

Yes the tips are 12 Euro for crew and 3 euro for CD per traveler per day.

15 Euro X 2 = 30 Euro X 7 days = 210 Euro ( Roughly $290.00 US). You are given 2 envelopes at the end of the cruise. One for crew and one for the CD. You don't put your name or cabin number on the envelopes. You deposit the envelopes into 2 separate boxes as you leave (or the night before). You can tip certain crew members individually also if you like.

Honestly, we felt like we were pampered by the crew and treated like royalty. I budgeted the tips into my travel expenses before we left for the curise and I had no issues with this policy. You will always find a smiling face and helpful attitude from the crew. They go out of their way to assist.

You will also be asked to tip your daily excursion guides too - 1 or 2 euro per traveler. They are usually local guides from the port you are in. I think that the tips are the bigger part of their income.

If you are leaving in April I would suggest taking warmer cloths and rain gear. It can be quite cool and rainy on the river in April. Have a great time! You will love the cruise.

Will be on the Affinity next month on the Rhine River and cruise information arrived today. My papers said suggested tipping was 15 Euro's a day(this would be $21.00). This seems rather high and would work out to close to $300 for the week for 2 of us. It has been awhile sine we have cruised and am curious if this is the norm.

Also, can my husband leave the sport coat at home? Would Dockers and casual shirts be OK?

You can tip whatever you want as it is not automatically billed. You will receive 2 envelopes the day before your cruise ends and you can put any amount in them.The envelopes do not have a name or cabin number on them. There are 2 boxes in the reservation area to put the envelopes in.One for the CD (self employed) and the other for the ship crew. Some people put less in the envelopes and than give extra to their room maid and their favorite waiter.We don't spend a lot of time at the bar but those that do probably tip the bartender extra too. We do however bring on soda pop,bourbon and wine to drink in our cabin and on the top deck.

Your husband can definitely leave his sportcoat at home.My DH always wear Dockers and a nice collared shirt.You will see jeans with a collared shirt etc in the diningroom some nights but Captains dinner. Leave tshirts with writing on them at home.

You will have a wonderful time. Avalon is a fantastic company.

Thanks for posting this info. Some friends and I will be on Affinity in Oct for the European Splendor, Vienna to Amsterdam. It's our first river cruise and are looking forward to a great tour. Any other info for first timers, either about Avalon or any other "nice to know" stuff? Thanks again.

You can tip whatever you want as it is not automatically billed. You will receive 2 envelopes the day before your cruise ends and you can put any amount in them.The envelopes do not have a name or cabin number on them. There are 2 boxes in the reservation area to put the envelopes in.One for the CD (self employed) and the other for the ship crew. Some people put less in the envelopes and than give extra to their room maid and their favorite waiter.We don't spend a lot of time at the bar but those that do probably tip the bartender extra too. We do however bring on soda pop,bourbon and wine to drink in our cabin and on the top deck.

Your husband can definitely leave his sportcoat at home.My DH always wear Dockers and a nice collared shirt.You will see jeans with a collared shirt etc in the diningroom some nights but Captains dinner. Leave tshirts with writing on them at home.

You will have a wonderful time. Avalon is a fantastic company.

Does this mean you can only tip with euros in cash? In other words, no putting the tips on your shipboard account............

We will be on the Affinity the end of April for our first river cruise.

TIA

Sue

We were on the Affinity in 2009 and left the tips on our onboard account - no problem.

We tipped the recommended amount and extra to the staff members that provided really excellent service but as mentioned, tipping is not mandatory.

Archived