Westerdam Cabin 7136

reps23

Hi,

We recently booked a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on November 27, 2018. Our cabin, 7136, is an aft cabin at the end of the ship. My husband really wanted to try one of those cabins but I have read that some people complained about soot on their balcony. Has anyone sailed in that cabin or on any of the aft end cabins on the Westerdam that could tell me if the soot is a problem. I can always change rooms at this early date.

Thank you.

Phyllis

I think the soot comes out of the stack when they change over the fuel types, especially when going from the economical heavy fuel to the high priced low emissions clean fuel usually used when near a port. So you might be able to manage the situation as suggested above with putting out towels. Hoping it all works out for you. m--

Love getting all these positive reports about the refurbishment of the Westerdam - we have not yet tried her. We were just able to change cabins on our Vista suite "sold out" Sept Trans Pacific Asia cruise - thanks to whomever pointed out the loss of a closet when assigned a connecting room. Luckily a non-connecting Vista suite just opened up across the hall and we grabbed it. Do we really finally say goodby to orange and brown decorated cabins?

We were in cabin 7145 last year for a 17 day Hawaiian cruise. Some soot I put some pool towels on the loungers and it solved the problem. Nice views from the deck at times.

Hi.

What does the pool towels accomplish?

Phyllis

We've had aft facing balconies on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam. Most days there is no soot at all but occasionally there can be a small amount based on the wind direction. The stewards wiped down the balcony in the morning and sometimes flipped over the lounger cushions at night as as precaution.

We were in the aft wrap Neptune Suite, same deck. #7142 on The Westerdam Dec 2016. We loved it so much we don't want to go on any cruise that doesn't have aft cabins. If there was soot, it must have been minimal because we saw none. I would guess pool towels over the lounger would capture soot so you don't get it on your chair...??

We've had aft facing balconies on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam. Most days there is no soot at all but occasionally there can be a small amount based on the wind direction. The stewards wiped down the balcony in the morning and sometimes flipped over the lounger cushions at night as as precaution.

+1 Soot is not a problem, as your steward will stay on top of it. I have had an aft balcony on the Oosterdam and will have one on the Eurodam soon. I find these cabins to be exactly what I like in cruising.

OP, I hope you enjoy your aft balcony, too.

We just disembarked an aft on the Oosterdam. Love the afts and they have always been our cabin location of choice. However, I think this cruise changed our mind. The soot was not a problem for us. There may have been some but it certainly did not interfere with our enjoyment. The plexiglass did not ever seemed to be clean and made for some murky viewing when seated.

However, for us, the vibration was an issue. I love the movement of the ship and do not experience any seasickness. For the first time sailing in an aft cabin, the vibration seemed excessive and annoying. Mostly in and out of ports but on some days the swells were quite high and there was a lot of noise associated with that.

Our next cruise we are going to try midship. It may be a one-time change but we will see.