American or European food?

The Viking

Do the US based cruiselines serve European or American food when cruising European ports? Is it different if you sail the Baltic or the Mediterranean?

Same menus fleet wide (ships in Caribbean, Alaska and Europe have the same menus). Most cruise lines serve "international" cuisine.

If by American food, you mean, eggs, bacon, potatoes, roast beef, waffles, pancakes, hamburgers, hot dogs...., yes, you will find that onboard. :)

Have a great cruise!

Kel

To my European taste it appears to be very American. Choice as well as presentation resemble standard American restaurants.

Meanwhile for example Cunard, even though owned by Carnival, still offers many items geared more to British taste, and MSC features many more Italian items.

Same menus fleet wide (ships in Caribbean, Alaska and Europe have the same menus). Most cruise lines serve "international" cuisine.

If by American food, you mean, eggs, bacon, potatoes, roast beef, waffles, pancakes, hamburgers, hot dogs...., yes, you will find that onboard. :)

Have a great cruise!

Kel

I was hoping for non American food, especially for breakfast. Some good tasting bread with soem good cold cut, hard boiled eggs etc. would be nice for a chance. Thanks for responses.

• 1 month later...

Princess offers cold-cuts and sliced cheeses and various rolls. They also offer a couple of other things that I think are "European" oriented. I don't recall hard boiled eggs but they may be available.

Along with that they always offer a smoked fish of sometype.

• 2 weeks later...

As a European, I can say that American cruise ships serve 99% American food. Even if Americans think it is European it is in fact American with a European accent.

The cruiselines serve what the majority of their guests wishes. And if the majority is American they serve American food.

I used to work in Rome, and in all restaurants which served typical Italian cuisine the patrons from America were deeply disappointed. However, when they had a meal in the Holiday Inn's restaurant, they praised the fantastic "Italian" cuisine - which was in fact American cuisine. I pizza in Napoli is very different from a pizza in Chicago, and a dish of pasta in Rome is very different from a pasta dish in New York.

I have read lots of threads in travel forums with titles like "what do you miss most when traveling Europe" and the answers are invariably: hamburgers, prime beef steaks, cola with lots of ice, root beer. So what do you expect on American cruise ships?

BTW, I enjoy American cuisine on American cruise ships. I love the exotic touch. But there are some things which I deeply miss: fish for breakfast, good draught beer and affordable wine. It is unbelievable how expensive wine is in American restaurants as well as on American cruise ships!

Well, it is different on American 5+ star ships. Ten years ago, on the Royal Viking Sun (then the world's best-rated ship) we were served excellent cuisine with authentic regional dishes. Fantastic - but you pay for it...

I was hoping for non American food, especially for breakfast. Some good tasting bread with soem good cold cut, hard boiled eggs etc. would be nice for a chance. Thanks for responses.

Thought I saw hard boiled eggs on Celebrity. I know I saw lox.

Holland America serve cheeses,cold meats,smoked fish,muesli and yogurt

at breakfast time as well as fresh bread and rolls as an alternate to the

traditional breakfast served in N America

Archived