Rum Runners when to pack them

First thing first..... I only want to hear from people who have used them, or know somebody who has used them. I don't want anyone to write something on this thread about how they "FEEL" about smuggler's. :D So have a nice day & be on your way.

When do you pack your rum runners? Do you pack them before your flight or stop on the way to port to fill them? We have used runners for camping a lot but this will be our first try on cruise.

We will be taking our first cruise in November and will also be bringing rum runners. We are thinking it will be less hassle to fill them up before boarding the ship, rather than filling them up before the flight. The booze is cheaper in FL compared to where we live (Canada) so that's another reason as well!

First thing first..... I only want to hear from people who have used them, or know somebody who has used them. I don't want anyone to write something on this thread about how they "FEEL" about smuggler's. :D So have a nice day & be on your way.

When do you pack your rum runners? Do you pack them before your flight or stop on the way to port to fill them? We have used runners for camping a lot but this will be our first try on cruise.

YOU DON'T.:eek::eek::eek:

We will be filling ours once we're in FLL. We have a day in town before we embark, so we'll be shopping for our booze once we get there. We're not planning on checking luggage, so this is our only alternative, as well with the carry on liquid rules.

Used them many times - not ever a problem, YET. We fly in a day before either with or without store bought bottles in checked lugage. If we have an opportunity to buy at destination hotel city, we purchase after the flight. Then, at pre-cruise hotel, transfer to RR's. Simple, easy no problems - SO FAR. I am sure there will be the day where we will be called to the "naughty room". But, in the last 9 RCCI cruises spaning 7 years, we have had good luck with the RR's.

Used them many times - not ever a problem, YET. We fly in a day before either with or without store bought bottles in checked lugage. If we have an opportunity to buy at destination hotel city, we purchase after the flight. Then, at pre-cruise hotel, transfer to RR's. Simple, easy no problems - SO FAR.

We never sneak liquor -

BUT - we've been on 5 cruises on RCI in the last year and believe me, we have heard nashing of teeth and renting of clothes from people who have had their illegally "imported" booze removed from their checked bags on the last 3 cruises!

Once upon a time many years ago my wife went to Hawaii to visit her girl friend and put an UNopened bottle of CC in her checked bag...on the airline

for whatever reason - the bottle leaked and ruined about 1,400$$$ of her best clothes...

So, you spend 2, 3, 6, 10,000$$ on a cruise and want to save HOW MUCH by sneaking in booze?

Make friends with your barkeep and I'll bet you'll get triple shot drinks and probably every 2nd or 3rd one for free.... the people who are really cheap never think to "over" tip their bartenders, do they? I see them all the time. They always pay full price and get "standard" drinks....

People never cease to amaze me..... the folks that line up outside the dining room ten minutes before it opens....or carry on cases of bottled water... or take packets of tea and towels home... or don't pay for any gratuities...

We never sneak liquor -

BUT - we've been on 5 cruises on RCI in the last year and believe me, we have heard nashing of teeth and renting of clothes from people who have had their illegally "imported" booze removed from their checked bags on the last 3 cruises!

Once upon a time many years ago my wife went to Hawaii to visit her girl friend and put an UNopened bottle of CC in her checked bag...on the airline

for whatever reason - the bottle leaked and ruined about 1,400$$$ of her best clothes...

So, you spend 2, 3, 6, 10,000$$ on a cruise and want to save HOW MUCH by sneaking in booze?

Make friends with your barkeep and I'll bet you'll get triple shot drinks and probably every 2nd or 3rd one for free.... the people who are really cheap never think to "over" tip their bartenders, do they? I see them all the time. They always pay full price and get "standard" drinks....

People never cease to amaze me..... the folks that line up outside the dining room ten minutes before it opens....or carry on cases of bottled water... or take packets of tea and towels home... or don't pay for any gratuities...

I couldn't agree more. Personally the joy of vacation and cruising is having my drinks made for me and meeting the great staff that make the cruise great..

I fill them at home prior to flying. They go in my checked luggage. I fill them about 60% or so so they don't have a big round profile (rumrunners says no more than 85% full anyway). I put them in a ziplock as well. I did have one leak once from the welded seam near the cap. I also get ALL the air out. Once off the plane, I move them near the wheels / bottom of the suitcase so they are even less noticeable going through the ship's x-ray. Have a good cruise.

I fill them at home prior to flying. They go in my checked luggage. I fill them about 60% or so so they don't have a big round profile (rumrunners says no more than 85% full anyway). I put them in a ziplock as well. I did have one leak once from the welded seam near the cap. I also get ALL the air out. Once off the plane, I move them near the wheels / bottom of the suitcase so they are even less noticeable going through the ship's x-ray. Have a good cruise.

Excellent advice... thank you, 4EB

The "cruise pack" has several different sizes in it and they all work great. A couple of tips: don't fill them up all the way and get all the air out before capping. Put them in a good quality freezer ziplock bag just in case you have a leak. Try to place them near a hard edge in your suitcase, near the bottom or side, for crush and xray protection. You can also place hard objects such as shoes, nuts, hairspray cans, etc for further xray protection. I always fill em up at home rather than wait to get to the port city, just for convenience....never had a problem with them. enjoy!

What would be the difference/ advantage in using RR's compared to just packing unopened booze in its own plastic container which we have always done in the checked luggage.

There are a couple of advantages. The Rum Runner company gets to make a tidy profit, and since it's not longer the orginal container, the cruise employees can just dump them out, rather than saving and returning the contents to you, if they happen to confiscate them.

There are a couple of advantages. The Rum Runner company gets to make a tidy profit, and since it's not longer the orginal container, the cruise employees can just dump them out, rather than saving and returning the contents to you, if they happen to confiscate them.

Thanks paul, since the original plastic booze bottles come in a nice retangular flat size we will just continue to use them. Never had a leak or a breakage. Plastic is plastic I guess.

We usually get to the port city a day ahead, so we go shopping for our booze and water, soda,etc. Pack it the morning of our cruise.

Go to the local store the night before and choose then load them up. We took all sizes so we could be prepared in case we found something special to take along. ;) They packed so easy and no problems with them. :)

We always fill our RRs at home before we leave. We fill them about 75% full, squeeze out the air and then put them in a Ziploc freezer bag just in case. On our cruise last month on the Indy our (2) 8 oz. RRs were detected in our locked, checked suitcase. Instead of calling us down to the "naughty room" they just took them and left an orange note saying they "confiscated and destroyed" our alcohol. We also pack them near the wheels.

This was the first time we left out of Ft. Lauderdale. Who knows if that had anything to do with it. I'll have to order a couple of 8 oz. RRs to replace the ones we lost before our next cruise. :)

We always fill our RRs at home before we leave. We fill them about 75% full, squeeze out the air and then put them in a Ziploc freezer bag just in case. On our cruise last month on the Indy our (2) 8 oz. RRs were detected in our locked, checked suitcase. Instead of calling us down to the "naughty room" they just took them and left an orange note saying they "confiscated and destroyed" our alcohol. We also pack them near the wheels.

This was the first time we left out of Ft. Lauderdale. Who knows if that had anything to do with it. I'll have to order a couple of 8 oz. RRs to replace the ones we lost before our next cruise. :)

I think they step up detection during spring break. But if one made it through, they weren't doing a thorough job of it.

I haven't used the rum rummers, but if I did, I wouldn't fly with them just because of the weight and fear of what altitude changes might do to them. I'd stop on the way to my hotel or in the morning before the cruise and fill them just before boarding.

Just put 2 32oz, 1 16oz and 1 8 oz in the packed suitcases tonight. Will get a 12 pack of beer in LA and pack it before we get to San Pedro.

(Crown and vodka in the two large, two flavors of rum in the smaller.)

Just put 2 32oz, 1 16oz and 1 8 oz in the packed suitcases tonight. Will get a 12 pack of beer in LA and pack it before we get to San Pedro.

(Crown and vodka in the two large, two flavors of rum in the smaller.)

please update if this was a success. thanks

we always leave home day prior to cruise, have the shuttle driver stop at a liquor store, run in and select the booze to be poured the day we leave for the port. Rumrunners are great, though I always bring extra ziplock bags to prevent any unforseen accidents. They are sturdy, though. I bought the cruise package, 3 lg and 3 small. Perfect for the fifths and the small ones fit into purse nicely, ready to mix with the free beverages offered. We still manage to spend plenty since hubby likes his beer and I enjoy a glass of champagne at sailaway. Nobody will notice a drop in revenues and everyone is happy!

Archived