China visa

joel5600

we going on Ncl cruise from Tokyo on 1 Apr 2018 and as this stops at Xiamen before Shanghai will we need China visas, and if so what type?

American? Good luck to you, I hope you'll post how it goes.

You're probably not going to get the RIGHT answer here as not many have cruised to China.

I have a multiple entry tourist visa that's good for I think 5 or 10 years. That's the standard issue. When flying I believe you can enter China if your subsequent proof of travel is for within 48 hours (i.e. you can visit Shanghai on a layover of 48 hours or less). That being said, no idea if that is applicable for ports as well.

Chinese visa was not my worst visa experience, especially if you live near a consulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would NCL provide Visa on board and charge to cabins?

You would not be the only one in this situation :confused:

Highly doubtful for China IMO. They are on a boat full of Chinese and the visa for China is not one of the "perfunctory visas" you typically can just get if you were flying in.

I think this poster will be covered under the rule I posted above, but no one outside of a knowledge external resource and MAYBE ncL (this isn't an itinerary for Americans) will know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would NCL provide Visa on board and charge to cabins? You would not be the only one in this situation :confused:
Most likely not ... PRC (China) does not offer group visa for cruise ship pax, AFAIK. OP (and others) will need individual tourist visas (if US nationals & from a long list of countries elsewhere) - be sure to ask for multiple entry visas, there's recent changes about issuing a 10 year m.e. tourist visas to everyone that filed/asked ... data collection of details for the application form are extensive, thus, reasons for NCL to be unable to do so - or else, you would be submitting & trusting NCL with a lot of private & personal info.

Regardless of whether it's a 5 or 10 year, or 1 year tourist visa, single or dual or multiple entries - fee is about $140, slightly higher for rush/priority processing - 2 photos needed - turnaround time is about 4 or 5 business days for regular filing. Be sure that your passport will remain valid for at least 6 months beyond your planned trip/visit - and submit the application early (don't wait till last minute).

Do post the questions on the Asia forum here - those that cruise on similar itinerary either with NCL or on Celebrity, Princess & Royal C. will likely have some answers.

RE: Visa for China.

If you live in a big city that has a Chinese embassy, you can do it in person, I guess.

For many MANY of us, who don't have that option, we use a service, such as VISA CENTRAL. It takes time, money-- fees.. waiting -- sending in your passport-- waiting, but there's no way to avoid it.

I have used VISA CENTRAL for visas for China, India, and Brazil, all within the last 18 months.

Its just part of the ( misery ??) of the prep for the trip.

Its my understanding, even if you plan to N O T get off your ship, at those ports.. you Still Need the Visa.

Happy travels !

I would ring NCL direct and ask. I did cruises through the Asian region last year and even though I'm from Aus I rang the Aus office and they were able to tell me exactly the visas they were able to do onboard, the ones I had to do myself and the ones, as long as I went on an approved NCL tour I didn't need a visa. That was the case in Sanya China.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More on VISA's/ it also depends which country you are from, and what Passport you hold.

For example, about 4-5 ys ago, while in Argentina, my friend and I wanted to go to the Brazilian side of Iguazu falls, and we could not, as we ( USA citizens) had no Brazilian visas. Friends we met, at the Sheraton Hotel, / Iguazu Falls, easily were able to go to the Brazilian side, as they were NZ + Canadian citizens. Different rules ~~~~ different countries of origin.

Whatever cruise line you are travelling on ~~~~~ SHOULD be making clear, to you ~~~~What visas you will need ~~~as they darn sure will be checking that you have what's needed, as you board the ship.

From NCL's own FAQ - Shanghai & Sanya isn't exempt from visa requirement for most visitors, unlike Sanya & Hong Kong, SAR. The 144 or 72 hours visa-free requirements or exemptions are valid only for some nationalities, typically for air travelers flying onward ... with a stopover ... subject to change.

For All U.S. and Canadian Citizens Traveling to Asia, Australia and South America: Visas must be obtained in advance of departure if your cruise is visiting any of the destinations listed below:

• Brazil
  • India (must be an Embassy-issued visa sticker; electronic visas are not sufficient)
  • Australia
  • Mainland China (excluding Sanya & Hong Kong)

Contact the embassy of the country listed above or visit VisaCentral, a full service agency, for assistance with obtaining any visas that are required in advance of your cruise.

US and Canadian Passport holders require a visa to enter the countries listed below. Norwegian Cruise Line will obtain visas on your behalf if you have not done so before the cruise. Costs (ranging from $29 USD - $89 USD per visa) will be charged to your onboard account:

• Oman
  • Cambodia
  • Vietnam
  • Cuba (click here for more info)

Edited by mking8288