Pride of America - How often does it miss a port or change itinerary?

marmstro

We are setting up a helicopter tour on Kauai in November and debating whether to pay the exorbitant NCL excursion fee for this or book it independently. The benefit of NCL is that if for some reason the ship can't keep to it's itinerary, we'd be refunded. Privately booked, we'd be out that money. Here's the question: I know it can happen, but can anyone comment on how often it actually DOES happen that POA needs to alter their itinerary? Thanks.

We are setting up a helicopter tour on Kauai in November and debating whether to pay the exorbitant NCL excursion fee for this or book it independently. The benefit of NCL is that if for some reason the ship can't keep to it's itinerary, we'd be refunded. Privately booked, we'd be out that money.

We don't know who told you that you would "be out that money", as according to the website for Blue Hawaiian (one of the larger helicopter companies) for instance, only a 24 hour notice is necessary to get a full refund (and for whatever reason it seems - not just a ship changing itinerary). If the weather is such that the POA won't dock or tender, the helicopters probably aren't going up either, and that situation should be obvious in advance.

We don't know who told you that you would "be out that money", as according to the website for Blue Hawaiian (one of the larger helicopter companies) for instance, only a 24 hour notice is necessary to get a full refund (and for whatever reason it seems - not just a ship changing itinerary). If the weather is such that the POA won't dock or tender, the helicopters probably aren't going up either, and that situation should be obvious in advance.

Both Blue Hawaiian reps I spoke with strongly encouraged me to book through the cruise line, saying that in the case of a change, NCL would “take care of me”. I hadn’t read their cancellation terms when I spoke with them. I wonder if they are contract bound to try to get people to book through the ship instead of direct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be a few cruises each year that change itineraries due to Hurricanes.

NCL shore ex helicopter tours usually have to be canceled before sailing if YOU decide not to go. If the ship changes itineraries or the tour operators can not fly due to low cloud cover, you get a full refund.