transportation from LA hotel to pier

tlreze

We are sailing on NCL for Mexican Riviera cruise. We get into LAX the day before at 12:30pm and we are trying to decide where to stay. We would like to see a little of LA and have points for hotel nights. We were looking at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Walk of Fame but not sure best way to get to port the next day. We can take Super Shuttle from LAX to the hotel for $16 each but can't find anything from hotel to Pier. I called the hotel and they said $120-$150 cab ride. Are there any other options?

You don't say how many are in your party, but the taxi fee sounds high!

We stay at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, but we also fly into Long Beach, which is a great little airport. It reminds me of the airports of the 60's. Very laid back, and relaxed. I hate LAX.

The ride from LGB to Crowne Plaza is short and much less expensive than from LAX. The next morning, Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle to the cruise ship.

You don't say how many are in your party, but the taxi fee sounds high!

We stay at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, but we also fly into Long Beach, which is a great little airport. It reminds me of the airports of the 60's. Very laid back, and relaxed. I hate LAX.

The ride from LGB to Crowne Plaza is short and much less expensive than from LAX. The next morning, Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle to the cruise ship.

We will be flying in to Long Beach too and are booked into Vagabond Inn in San Pedro, what is the approximate cost for a taxi from the Airport to that vicinity, (Coming from Australia so I want to make sure we have enough USA Dollars on us).

Thanks a lot.

We will be flying in to Long Beach too and are booked into Vagabond Inn in San Pedro, what is the approximate cost for a taxi from the Airport to that vicinity, (Coming from Australia so I want to make sure we have enough USA Dollars on us).

Thanks a lot.

The Vagabond is a clean hotel and they will transport you for free to the cruise terminal. I would advise against walking around in the neighborhood there though.

thanks...I am trying to stay near Walk of fame or in Beverly Hills to get at least one day/evening site seeing in before leaving for the cruise. Some where that we can walk and see things......I called a few hotels near there none have shuttle to pier :( .....I did try the primetime and it was about $100 for private car so that is better then just a taxi. Thanks for the suggestion!!! I am used to getting around NYC with trains, subways easily : )

L.A. has Metro! Google it but if I recall correctly, it's the red line from Hollywood to Union Station then maybe the blue line to Long Beach. Taxi from Long Beach would cost much less.

Actually it is the Red line to 7th St. Transit Center, not to Union Station, then the Blue Line.

Here is the Metro website:http://www.metro.net/.

We take this when we ONLY have 1 22" suitcase and a tote per person. There isn't much room for larger pieces or more than 1 piece of luggage as both the Blue and Red lines can get very crowded. The Blue Line goes thru some dicey areas, but we have never had a problem. It just makes for an interesting ride.:D

Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer about cab fare. We travel as a herd of nine, so we hire a car service. A limo with a stocked bar costs us just a shade over $100 from Long Beach Airport to San Pedro. What can I say...I spoil my grandkids...

thanks...I am trying to stay near Walk of fame or in Beverly Hills to get at least one day/evening site seeing in before leaving for the cruise. Some where that we can walk and see things......I called a few hotels near there none have shuttle to pier :( .....I did try the primetime and it was about $100 for private car so that is better then just a taxi. Thanks for the suggestion!!! I am used to getting around NYC with trains, subways easily : )

I think you can get a better price from Super Shuttle or Prime Time for a shared van. It may take a few minutes longer, but it is much less costly.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that, WOW, $52-00 seems very expensive

No one really believes us when we say that Los Angeles is a very spread out city. Even with no traffic it can take more than an hour going from one corner of the city to the other. Many of the LA tourist attractions are not in Los Angeles but in outlying areas. $52 isn't bad when you consider that it is a 45minute (35mi) drive.

The Hollywood area can be iffy.

There is a Crown Plaza directly across from San Pedro where NCL docks.

Don't take the Metro for your cruise. The fare from the Transit Center to the Port can be in the $20-30 range. (We looked into it for our last cruise out of San Pedro as we almost always take the train & bus to the Long Beach pier.)

Edited by SadieN

Check out shuttletolax.com. We booked our shuttle from the airport to the pier from them. They are one of the cheaper priced companies and they have other options such as private car or van too.

Actually if you book through that website, you just get Primetime as far as I've seen. I find them unreliable. If you're going to go with one of the cheapie services from the airport to the pier (and I really, really recommend avoiding flying in the day of one's cruise, no matter which embarkation city), don't prebook, at least with LAX. Just go outside to the shuttle pick up area and jump on either SS or PT. No matter what, you may end having several stops to hotels on the way to the port.

Better yet, pay a little extra and get one of the exclusive vehicles through the many,many transportation companies. They won't be sitting at the shuttle island, but you'll have the driver's number to call and you'll be picked up and taken directly to the port.

And for most of these companies, even if their website just has the mechanism for airport to location, you can email or call their 800 number and get a quote for point-to-point for just about any combination involving hotels, ports, attractions. You don't need to involve an airport in the pickup or dropoff. We used Ontime Transportation for our pickup from our home to the port 50 miles away and then the reverse two weeks later for our last cruise last December/January.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you...yes we are flying in the day before and staying at the Crowne Plaza by the pier....I just tried booking a return from the shuttle to LAX, is that pier harbor LA Cruise ship? that is what comes up. NCL said world cruise center but Harbor LA Cruise Ship is the only one that looks right. Then it says Berths 91, 92 and 93 A/B. NCL said it was Pier 91 so I think that is the correct thing to pick?

The Port of LA = the World Cruise Center. But if the choice is LA Harbor, that should work too. (the other option would be the Port of Long Beach, which is just about all Carnival)

Seriously, any shuttle driver or taxi driver would need to pass by the marquee listing the cruise ships in port that day and if they know which ship, they will get to the right berth and vice versa.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Days Inn on Sunset Blvd... a very underrated hotel. It's next to pretty much anything, including the Walk of Fame. Taxi was way too much, and I don't trust shuttle services, so we decided to take LAs metro train from Hollywood down to Long Beach. Forgot the price, but wasn't more than $10.

We stayed at the Days Inn on Sunset Blvd... a very underrated hotel. It's next to pretty much anything, including the Walk of Fame. Taxi was way too much, and I don't trust shuttle services, so we decided to take LAs metro train from Hollywood down to Long Beach. Forgot the price, but wasn't more than $10.

While it is relatively easy to get to Long Beach (Carnival) from Hollywood, it is a PITA to get to San Pedro where all other cruiselines sail from.

Found out recently that there is bus (450) that goes near the pier in San Pedro. From the Red Line in Hollywood it can be picked up at Union Station or outside the 7th Street Transfer Station in downtown LA.

These busses are commuter busses and are not conducive to taking anything larger than a grocery bag.

$1.50 per trip/$5 day pass & $1 Tap Card

There might be an additional fee for busses that take the freeways.

www.metro.net

Edited by SadieN

Another thing to know about the so-called rapid transit system for the LA area is that, as noted above, it's basically for commuter travel -- those going to work or to school. If you try to board with luggage during rush hour traffic (which can actually run several hours), you'll need to be able to avoid dirty looks.

• 11 months later...