Advantages/Disadvantages of Group Reservation

We have a group of 8 couples sailing together in June on Navigator. I was told that you had to have 8 couples booked in order to receive the perks for the group (i.e. OBC, reserved lounge/meeting rooms, etc.), so that was the route we took with the reservations. Boy, do I wish we had never done this. First of all, because two of the couples booked through a TA and not directly through RCCL, they don't count toward any perks we would have potentially received. Second, it's been a real pain trying to make any changes or requests for any of the individal couples because everything we do now must go through the group office. We can't even request a dinner table together until 45 days out and then we have to wait for the group office to contact us.

I will never again book as a group unless I'm sure all reservations are made through RCCL directly. I just wanted to vent. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Terry from Georgia

You can do group sailings through a TA. Did this a few years back, worked fine, just let the TA handle everything. Don't see any disadvantage of sailing with a group of friends. Don't mind making my own resi or another couple, but a small group would go to a TA.

Edited by setsail

This is how most groups work on other cruise lines as well. Instead of calling the regular Royal Caribbean phone number, just call the groups department.

On Another note, everyone in the group will get their OBC, that is protected down to one cabin in most cases. The only thing that requires "8 cabins" would be getting a Tour Conductor credit.

45 days out they will send the group leader a packet to set up the dining requests, very simple and easy thing to do.

If anything I think groups should go through a TA so that someone else handles those details for you and you won't have to worry about it.

I was told that if you go Thur a group you cannot get the referral credit.

I am not sure what the benefit is??? I would love to know because you can get OBC if you book for just one person and they have a promotion.

Some TA's will book you under group just so that you get there extra perks. one that dont come from RCCL

I was told that if you go Thur a group you cannot get the referral credit.

I am not sure what the benefit is??? I would love to know because you can get OBC if you book for just one person and they have a promotion.

Some TA's will book you under group just so that you get there extra perks. one that dont come from RCCL

This happened to us. We tried to get the "Bring a friend" OBC ($25), and found that groups were excluded. The upside was that since I was responsible for bringing 7 out if the 8 staterooms to the TA, she shared the TC credit with me, which was way more than the $25 OBC we lost.

I am traveling with a group of 5 couples, we all booked through a TA and the only perk that was offered was the soft drink service for the lead person. She turned it down because she felt if we all weren't getting it she didn't think it was fair. We only booked with this TA because this person and her husband had used her before. I really do think we have a bad TA and would never recommend her to anyone. This is my first cruise on RCI and I have never used a TA before, always did it myself and have never received OBC, upgrade or any type of perk. lol:)

I am traveling with a group of 5 couples, we all booked through a TA and the only perk that was offered was the soft drink service for the lead person. She turned it down because she felt if we all weren't getting it she didn't think it was fair. We only booked with this TA because this person and her husband had used her before. I really do think we have a bad TA and would never recommend her to anyone. This is my first cruise on RCI and I have never used a TA before, always did it myself and have never received OBC, upgrade or any type of perk. lol:)

I think you could have had a more generous TA. We booked 5 cabins with our friends the year before last on Royal . We all used the same TA that I usually use. She gave each cabin $175 OBC and discounted our cruise too. They were all very happy with her.

This year when we booked our 2013 cruise, my TA asked me if I was flexible on the date (we wanted March 2013) and then said if I would take a particular date, she could put me with the group rate that she had and it was a few hundred dollars in OBC. No problem and a great deal I thought!! So yes you can definitely get good perks or OBC with a good TA that specializes in cruises.

Two things could have happened- The TA may have used the "points" for bonus commission for her/himself OR there may not have been any points left for that sailing due to the number of groups already booked.

I wouldn't give up, find a TA who cares :)

We have a group of 8 couples sailing together in June on Navigator. I was told that you had to have 8 couples booked in order to receive the perks for the group (i.e. OBC, reserved lounge/meeting rooms, etc.), so that was the route we took with the reservations. Boy, do I wish we had never done this. First of all, because two of the couples booked through a TA and not directly through RCCL, they don't count toward any perks we would have potentially received. Second, it's been a real pain trying to make any changes or requests for any of the individal couples because everything we do now must go through the group office. We can't even request a dinner table together until 45 days out and then we have to wait for the group office to contact us.

I will never again book as a group unless I'm sure all reservations are made through RCCL directly. I just wanted to vent. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Terry from Georgia

8 couples in 8 cabins? did you book all using the same agent at the same time--- under the same group booking number or did you all just book "alone"

if booking all separately this was not set up as a group cruise so you would get nothing.

all reservations need to be linked together so you can all dine together and the agent should do that now.

whats your penalty for cancelling now.

find an agent that is in the know for group bookings

Edited by serene56

These posts have been helpful. We are hosting our grown children and their spouses to a cruise and that takes 8 staterooms. I was expecting significant benefits to a group purchase like this. So far I've read here about On Board Credits, Tour Conductor credit, use a Travel Agent for groups and use the group office at RCCL. Is that it? Am I expecting too much? Are there any other bennies?

These posts have been helpful. We are hosting our grown children and their spouses to a cruise and that takes 8 staterooms. I was expecting significant benefits to a group purchase like this. So far I've read here about On Board Credits, Tour Conductor credit, use a Travel Agent for groups and use the group office at RCCL. Is that it? Am I expecting too much? Are there any other bennies?

I found that RCL did not give much in the way of "stuff" when booking a group.

Our best benefits came through Carnival.

Each week is different by what they give you- an off week may give you much more then an on season week.

An agent that is knowledgeable in groups will be the most benifit to give you more by changing a ship or week

Having worked as a TA in a past life (I now work for an Insurance Company, no not travel Insurance, lol), and as a person who's DH is a full-time TA now, so I want full disclosure. Groups on RCCL work in the following way. You can either book directly through RCCL or through a qualified travel agent that understands and books groups. If they don't do it all the time, you should get an expert or you aren't getting all you can get. You should also get oa TA that works for you and watches for price drops. The on-line agencies do not do that and RCCL certainly doesn't watch the prices for you. That being said, RCCL considers 8 cabins as a group on most sailings. Sometimes they have promotions and will allow for less cabins in a group and an earlier poster is right, they will honor amenities down to 1 cabin if they are selected before final payment is due.

Not all sailing qualify for points which give you either OBCs or other amenities such as beach towels or wine in your room or pre-paid gratuities. The ones that do will qualify for 2 - 8 points and some sailings qualify for double points at special times of the year.

There are certain promotions that are not combinable with group sailings such as the Tuesday specials, but Senior rates and resident and military rates usually are combinable.

As I said there are lots of rules and a good TA will know them all. They will get you the dining time you want and will get your tables together. They will even give your group personalized t-shirts like a certain agent I know does for some of his groups. It really depends on the agent, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

You all need to book through one source to get the perks and keep in mind if you think you are close to having a group say 5 or 6 cabins, you might get your agent to book some other cabins into your group so you all get the perks. You don't have to dine together with the strangers, but you could all benefit from the groups amenities.

My advice for the best deals is to be flexible with the dates and ships. Typically ships from NY do not have any points on them because they sell out early ecept during off season. If you book early you may get more points. It is all based on supply and demand . Deposits of $500 per cabin will be required on group sailings which is more then individual sailings.

Find a TA that you trust and then work through them. Ask them tons of questions and get everything in writing. Ask for advice of ships and best options. They should be able to advise you on ports and everything. Just my opinion.

• 5 years later...

Very disappointed with Royal Caribbean. My TA started a group booking for us and was given the rates October 26. From there, we started talking to people to get the ball rolling. This is for January 27, 2019 sailing of Harmony of the Seas.On November 16, they sent our TA an email saying that they will be pulling out the rates given on October 26 by November 20 because of non movement on the group booking. Really? Not even a month. So anyway, I sent an initial 5 cabin booking on November 19 thru our TA,bu was told that the price will be a little higher than what was given to us on October 26. I told our TA not to put it thru and now I am considering going with another cruise lines. I really don't get it. Fort a sailing that over a year away and they do that.:mad:

Very disappointed with Royal Caribbean. My TA started a group booking for us and was given the rates October 26. From there, we started talking to people to get the ball rolling. This is for January 27, 2019 sailing of Harmony of the Seas.On November 16, they sent our TA an email saying that they will be pulling out the rates given on October 26 by November 20 because of non movement on the group booking. Really? Not even a month. So anyway, I sent an initial 5 cabin booking on November 19 thru our TA,bu was told that the price will be a little higher than what was given to us on October 26. I told our TA not to put it thru and now I am considering going with another cruise lines. I really don't get it. Fort a sailing that over a year away and they do that.:mad:

a group space is for 8 cabins double occupancy. 5 cabins does not denote a group. (unless your agent wanted to hold the other 3 ) so because you only have 5 you are not entitled to the group discount. Nothing to do with the cruiseline. or the agent. It is the way group pricing works

We are one short of 8 for a group next October. I went on RCCL's web site and booked 7 cabins myself, linked them all together, and handle all reservations on my own. I am not a TA, just loving doing this for family and friends, who decide to join DH and I!!;) Not to toot my own horn but they all say I'm getting pretty good at it!!:o

We are one short of 8 for a group next October. I went on RCCL's web site and booked 7 cabins myself, linked them all together, and handle all reservations on my own. I am not a TA, just loving doing this for family and friends, who decide to join DH and I!!;) Not to toot my own horn but they all say I'm getting pretty good at it!!:o[/quote

You booked 7 cabins as a regular pricing. The above person got a group price and because they are not a true group they are looking at a higher cruise price

Terry from Georgia

Move all the other reservations to the TA he other two booked, if possible. You’ll all get group bennies.

We are one short of 8 for a group next October. I went on RCCL's web site and booked 7 cabins myself, linked them all together, and handle all reservations on my own. I am not a TA, just loving doing this for family and friends, who decide to join DH and I!!;) Not to toot my own horn but they all say I'm getting pretty good at it!!:o[/quote

You booked 7 cabins as a regular pricing. The above person got a group price and because they are not a true group they are looking at a higher cruise price

Correct! However, we did book them just after the itineraries were released so I feel we all got a good price!;) If we would have needed more cabins, I may have either gotten a TA or called an RCI rep for a "group" rate.:confused: I enjoy booking our own reservations, so I have the freedom to make changes without making a phone call to the rep.:cool: