Cuba in November

Baracuda618

We are booked for the short cruise on the Azamara Quest leaving the Monday after Thanksgiving. We have booked a private tour guide for the first full day we are there through ToursbyLocals. With the current governmental policies does anyone have any insight into whether we can actually do this type of tour or will we have to stay with a group? I really didn't want to be stuck on a bus with a bunch of people.

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Really have no idea, but from what I've read recently, people on Norwegian, Carnival and perhaps other cruise lines have not had any problems doing what they want. However, I suppose Azamara may do things differently. I'm going to Cuba on Viking, and they apparently told someone a couple months ago that everyone would have to stay in a group. I'm not sure why that's the case, as other lines like Oceania don't require that, but Oceania has more experience in Cuba than Viking, so maybe Viking is just being overly-conservative and feeling their way. Then again, there might be a license involved, and if so, it could be different from what other cruise lines have obtained. When I'm about a month closer to my cruise, I plan to call or write Viking for clarification on what Americans can and cannot do when in Cuba. Viking is providing some great excursions at no additional cost, so I don't mind sticking with or close to the group for those. Yes, a private tour would be better, but I'm not totally opposed to coach tours, so it will be OK. However, I would like to be free to stay in a port after an excursion, so that is my concern. However, I'm thinking nobody is going to monitor a thing once I get on the ship. We'll see. I do not plan to visit places I believe to be state run, which is some restaurants, museums, etc. but generally I don't visit too many of those places anyway, so it shouldn't be hard to avoid them.

I just got back yesterday! I had to show "proof" of a tour (I printed out an email confirmation from the old car tour driver) the first day. The rest of the time just got off and on as I pleased. No one said a peep to me again.

I just got back yesterday! I had to show "proof" of a tour (I printed out an email confirmation from the old car tour driver) the first day. The rest of the time just got off and on as I pleased. No one said a peep to me again.

You were on Carnival, right? I think things can vary from cruise line to cruise line, but not sure. Who did you have to show the tour confirmation to - was it to Carnival so they would let you get off the ship fairly early, or the passport people in the terminal? Did Carnival buy visas for everyone, do you know? Apparently Norwegian buys a two part visa for each cruiser, and the visa is turned in (or shown?) when they leave the ship.

We had to buy and fill out visas through Carnival. It was $75 per person. It's a two part visa, but they keep both parts. They stamp your passport, and then every other time you get on or off the ship, they just look at the stamped passport. I was traveling with children, so we went to the same immigration desk each time. He was our pal by the end. ;)

The tour confirmation was only for carnival to get off the ship. The cuban people didn't care at all. No one asked anything when we got back on the ship for any proof.

Additionally, going through customs, they only asked what we bought and how much we spent. Never showed a receipt or had to show the merchandise (we only bought cigars and small souvenirs).

The requirement is only a US thing, so you'll not see any real evidence of that in Cuba. Just on the ship.

Since you are getting a local tour operated by a local person, you can use the "Support Cuban People" part- and if the Azamara affidavit is more corporate, and the same one we had for Royal Caribbean- that also includes "all of the above"- so individual people to people and group people to people.

Even IF the individual person to person rule is changed, there has been no mention to alter the support cuban people. Actually, we've seen some evidence that they want to make people DO that more anyway- eating at Paladors and staying at Airbnb sites.

The requirement is only a US thing, so you'll not see any real evidence of that in Cuba. Just on the ship.

Since you are getting a local tour operated by a local person, you can use the "Support Cuban People" part- and if the Azamara affidavit is more corporate, and the same one we had for Royal Caribbean- that also includes "all of the above"- so individual people to people and group people to people.

Even IF the individual person to person rule is changed, there has been no mention to alter the support cuban people. Actually, we've seen some evidence that they want to make people DO that more anyway- eating at Paladors and staying at Airbnb sites.

Support for the Cuban People is not appicable.

OFAC has issued a general license that incorporates prior specific licensing policy andauthorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions and other transactions that areintended to provide support for the Cuban people, which include activities of recognized humanrights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transitionto democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independentactivity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. The traveler’s schedule of activities mustnot include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba.For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply,see 31 CFR § 515.574.

Support for the Cuban People is not appicable.

Disagree. When you are supporting individual businesses, you are supporting a transition to democracy. And a strengthening of civil society, as they become more independent of living off of the government.

Many of the tour groups point this out.

My money is going directly to a person, who can use that money to go into any store tourists can to use CUCs. That allows them the ability to work harder and earn more for working harder. Exactly what "support the Cuban people" intends to do.

If you don't want to do that, fine, but I'm comfortable using that reason.

I haven't looked at the CFR for a while, but maybe "Support for Cuban People" is not a choice that individual travelers can make for their reason to go to Cuba. I think "Support" might be applicable to established companies that provide programs in Cuba, not individual travelers. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will explain, or if not, I can do more research! At this point I've pretty resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to go off much, if at all, on my own. But I'm on Viking, which says they have a group license and we need to stay with the group, so that might be totally different from what other cruise lines have arranged.

I haven't looked at the CFR for a while, but maybe "Support for Cuban People" is not a choice that individual travelers can make for their reason to go to Cuba. I think "Support" might be applicable to established companies that provide programs in Cuba, not individual travelers. But hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will explain, or if not, I can do more research! At this point I've pretty resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to go off much, if at all, on my own. But I'm on Viking, which says they have a group license and we need to stay with the group, so that might be totally different from what other cruise lines have arranged.

Here's the thing- if you step on a bus, you are riding a Cuban State owned bus. No individuals or individual companies in Cuba can even come close to owning a bus.

We were concerned for the same thing, and for the first trip, chose individual person to person for our cruise. And got our own tour via a US based tour company that knows how to get the individual companies paid- they are a clearing house of entrepreneurs. One thing to note- we tried hard to make a tour with RCCL that we wanted- including some big customization. But they could not do that, and suggested to us to find a way to find other tours. Even on board, they mentioned that it's not required to do their tours, but will be happy to host the tours. So our ship knew that we didn't need to use their tours.

For the second trip, after reading more and more, and seeing many people running our government state pretty clearly that staying at an AirBnB or eating at a Palador was all that was required to use "support cuban people". Even with that, we had a full weekend of tours planned out, all run by individuals- either via AirBnB or Tour Republic. And we have documentation and pictures for the entire weekend. The whole weekend was supporting well over 10 privately owned companies in one way or another.

Plus, one needs to remember that the law has not changed at all, yet. The earliest it could have was a month ago (Sept 16, to be exact), but that has not happened.

I'm not suggesting that I know everything, but that was our experience. It's odd that our country restricts us so much. Especially when so many of us are doing our best to promote capitalism there.

Surprising that your "research" hasn't alerted you to your consistent misspelling of paladar. Show us one solid source for your odd interpretation of Support for Cuban People.

Sorry that I'm not spanish.

Given that I'm not the one with the issue, I'm going to leave the research to the individual traveler. It's not my signature on your document.

How is it "odd" that supporting individual entrepreneurs is considered supporting Cuban people, especially trying to become more capitalistic? Seems like the entire point.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do, but suggesting that people look more on their own to figure out how they want to travel. IMHO, one is not restricted to take just the ship's excursions. Especially when so many of them are clearly run by the State- which is exactly the support people DON'T want.

That makes zero sense at all.

To the OP, I'm on the Azamara cruise to Cuba right before yours. We are also planning on arranging our own private tours as well as exploring on our own, and I have read of others that have done the same with Azamara. No need to stick with the herd on a ship's tour. There is an affidavit available on the Azamara web site that you will have to fill out. If you can't find it, contact Azamara and they will email you a copy. We are comfortable saying we are traveling under "people to people" or "supporting the Cuban people" given what our current plans are. As has been pointed out, you will be swearing the oath to your affidavit, so it's your decision which purpose for travel you choose to best fit your plans.

To the cruiser traveling with Viking. I would contact your cruiseline again and make sure you can't travel on your own. Having to stick with the herd sounds awful, and inexplicable considering folks are flying to Cuba from the US every day and traveling independently. It's your vacation, your choice. But they would be altering that policy or I would be altering my travel plans to not include Viking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry that I'm not spanish.

Given that I'm not the one with the issue, I'm going to leave the research to the individual traveler. It's not my signature on your document.

How is it "odd" that supporting individual entrepreneurs is considered supporting Cuban people, especially trying to become more capitalistic? Seems like the entire point.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do, but suggesting that people look more on their own to figure out how they want to travel. IMHO, one is not restricted to take just the ship's excursions. Especially when so many of them are clearly run by the State- which is exactly the support people DON'T want.

That makes zero sense at all.

It's odd because the explanation given by the US government clearly states that this option has to do with activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba, and yet you keep on telling people that it includes something totally different.

I agree that the current rules don't require you to take the ship's excursions, and we did not do so when we visited. My concern is that people will follow your advice, check what is clearly the wrong box, and regret it down the line.

• 4 weeks later...
It's odd because the explanation given by the US government clearly states that this option has to do with activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba, and yet you keep on telling people that it includes something totally different.

I agree that the current rules don't require you to take the ship's excursions, and we did not do so when we visited. My concern is that people will follow your advice, check what is clearly the wrong box, and regret it down the line.

From today's news, it looks like Support of the Cuban People might be the only way to use a private guide in Cuba, though the regulations need to be flushed out a bit more. I leave in less than 2 weeks, so I hope they provide more details soon!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/white-house-implements-new-cuba-policy-restricting-travel-and-trade/2017/11/08/a5597dee-c49b-11e7-aae0-cb18a8c29c65_story.html?utm_term=.7bd49dc3275b

Sent from my iPad using Forums