Rhino Riders refuses to refund my money!!!

CaroleSS

This is a really big deal to me.

Ok, since this was such a REALLY BIG DEAL.....,I looked it up.....They are the SAME COMPANY.

I think YOU should apologoze to all of us for being obtuse! Have you reported THAT to the moderators!!

Ok, since this was such a REALLY BIG DEAL.....,I looked it up.....They are the SAME COMPANY.

I think YOU should apologoze to all of us for being obtuse! Have you reported THAT to the moderators!!

Rhino Riders was always its own company on St Maarten and Rhino Safaris a distinct company.

Perhaps they have amelgamated or Rhino Riders closed down and that is why the Rhino Rider website now says it's parked by godaddy.

Rhino Riders is number 8 on TripAdvisor and Rhino Safaris are number 13.

I never dealt with either company but have seen advertisements and seen excursions and read of both companies on here for years. I would have no reason to know that they were the same company.

It's not my thread or me using the name interchangeably.

I'm bad I have another question for any one really?

Are you allowed to start threads like this any way?

Edited by Karysa

You have never dealt with them. I have and it was not pretty.

You have argued with me and questioned the facts I have presented.

I am trying to tell others about my poor experience hoping they do not have to go through the same thing I did. Not sure what you are trying to do.

When I posted earlier on this thread I kind of knew that the same operation had used two names: Rhino Riders and Rhino Safari. I did not check carefully re their website and in fact their current website remained online. I certainly cannot fault you (Carole) for what name you used on your post.

They (whichever name) were not in business after Irma hit on September 6. The fact that you thought that they were in business when you were trying to communicate with them may have affected to some degree your reaction to not getting email responses - and I can understand that. You very clearly are a highly organized and detail oriented person.

I now know that they (Rhino Safari apparently is current name) hope to be operating by first of December - which may be optimistic and of course is dependent on when tourists are coming back in any numbers.

I believe that the people in this business had a lot going on and simply did not respond to your emails as they should have. I still think that you have been a little more rough on them than necessary but that is just my reaction.

Those of us who have connections on the island and have been visiting there for decades can be biased and often tend to react defensively to posts which could impact a business on the island negatively when there is any gray to the issue - and this has been especially true post-Irma.

I expect that you have now made all the necessary arrangement for a new itinerary - assuming you still are cruising at same time - and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise!

If you were really reading....I corrected the company name...Rhino Safari....Their website is alive and taking reservations. Yes, I originally said Rhino Riders.....can't change the title now.

Again....read carefully. The deposits were over 120 (or 180 days depending who you talk with) days old. This complicated the dispute process. Due to Rhino Safari's poor accounting practices, they even argued with me about the balance due - even when I provided transaction IDs and amounts. This accounting problem, exacerbated by the length of time since the original transaction, made it ever so much more difficult for my credit card company.....And Paypal refused to deal with it....Referring me to my credit card company.

If you honestly can say that you have read every post.....Every word.....and are still puzzled by the situation, I will try again. But I'm not sure that will help.:(

Yes, this was a comedy of errors. One I've not happened before in >10 years of cruising.

The conundrum that it poses is that to get good shore excursions, you have to book early....But by doing so, you put yourself in a catch-22 in that if anything goes wrong, getting it fixed is a royal pain.

Counter this with a vendor in St Thomas. I paid him in full ($600) as well. When Irma cancelled our port stop, I emailed him and had my refund within 3 daysl

Guess who I will do business with in the future?????

I've just read this straight through.

Actually, you never *corrected* the use of the wrong name. You just started using a new name. That's not correcting. That's confusing.

And each post you've included brand new information *as though you've said it before*, and have acted like the readers knew it already.

If you care about accurate communication in the future, i would have someone at home read through the thread. Have it be someone who care about you but isn't going to automatically back you up no matter what. I think you would find that their feedback would be the same.

The last blast you wrote about detailed transaction numbers etc is brand new info given way later. But you are reacting as though a reader should know all this.

I'm still not actually sure what happened when. And I know I'm not alone.

Let's deal with the important issue!

You waited until today to casually mention that you have been bad mouthing the WRONG company.

You mentioned in the title and posts that the company was Rhino Riders and it was actually Rhino Safari!!

You said that it was not the Rhino Rider website in which I was googling. The reason for that is that I was looking up the company that you were complaining about and NOT the company that you were actually dealing with!!!

My last question to you is this. Have you reported your really big mistake to the moderators? This thread should be removed and you should be the one that asks that to be done.

She also went on Trip Advisor and bad mouthed the wrong company giving them a nasty review. I'm sure they appreciate that as they struggle to recover from the most devastating hurricane in their island's history....ad1712e34cd2422663b23fcd06cc3b9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think people in the islands are dealing with a lot of crap right now. Consider that they may have actually lost earlier records and are struggling to regain the information.

I likewise had to cancel a private excursion and a prepaid, non-refundable hotel on St. Martin. No one even knew what was going on with the hotel. It was through Travelocity, and the money got refunded. The hotel, part of a large international company, was not completely damaged as many others were, but is temporarily closed for repairs. Even with all that, I actually *just* got an email from them, over a month later (though, as I mentioned, travelocity processed the refund pretty quickly). With the excursion, it took a few weeks to hear back. My deposit was only $40....I told the owner to keep the money; it sounded as if he needed it. I considered it a donation to the relief effort. Note I am NOT implying you should do the same. I have no idea what your deposit was, or whether you have the means to waive a refund.

Additionally, I have gotten 2 of my excursions through the cruise line refunded, and yet they still owe me for 3 others, weeks later. And that's another big company! Yes - they've refunded some, but not the others, from the same cruise. Weird, right? Everything is messed up. With everyone.

Carole...I get that you're upset but do you realize that many of the St Maarten business owners are temporarily out of business , many of which will never reopen. You complain about their lack of response, and bad bookkeeping but consider this as a possibility. There may be no one available to answer all the emails and enquiries and the employees that are being paid have probably a tad more to worry about than your deposit, computers may be destroyed, boating equipment, electricity is sporadic, records of deposits lost forever, if they can operate no customers to operate with and I could go on and on and on.

I have more sympathy for those trying to get back thousand upon thousands of $ in deposits for villa rentals than the deposits for minor activities but overall I have far more empathy for those struggling to find a way to simply reopen the doors of their businesses.

I was too late to edit my earlier post but now, having read your post on the St Thomas board complaining about the same thing from another merchant any sympathy I did have has completely gone out the window. Really ? You do realize they had a Category 5 hurricane ? Seriously ? And you're worried about getting a few hundred back ?

These are not multinational corporations with hundreds/thousands of employees sitting around wondering hmmmm when will Carole call ..Im guessing at maybe 100 for CW, and perhaps a couple dozen for RR, these are small businesses and you're out there trying to ruin their reputations because they aren't getting to you soon enough ?

You said in this thread that you would be more patient or words to that effect if Rhino responded to your email.....In the St Thomas thread, Coral World responded and basically told you they'd get to you when they get to you(which imho wins the answer of the day under the circumstances and the responder should be given a medal).....so which is it ? Or is it patience only if you get your money now?

Take a look at the FB page for CW. Seems like they are working on trying to save animals, raise funds, and try to rebuild in order to reopen....maybe then you'll get it.

Edited by Luckybee

I've just read this straight through.

Actually, you never *corrected* the use of the wrong name. You just started using a new name. That's not correcting. That's confusing.

And each post you've included brand new information *as though you've said it before*, and have acted like the readers knew it already.

If you care about accurate communication in the future, i would have someone at home read through the thread. Have it be someone who care about you but isn't going to automatically back you up no matter what. I think you would find that their feedback would be the same.

The last blast you wrote about detailed transaction numbers etc is brand new info given way later. But you are reacting as though a reader should know all this.

I'm still not actually sure what happened when. And I know I'm not alone.

So you DO have a habit of starting trouble I see.

Let's deal with the important issue!

You waited until today to casually mention that you have been bad mouthing the WRONG company.

You mentioned in the title and posts that the company was Rhino Riders and it was actually Rhino Safari!!

You said that it was not the Rhino Rider website in which I was googling. The reason for that is that I was looking up the company that you were complaining about and NOT the company that you were actually dealing with!!!

My last question to you is this. Have you reported your really big mistake to the moderators? This thread should be removed and you should be the one that asks that to be done.

I agree with you. This misleading title thread need to be removed and created a new one with correct title

Ok folks, this is the last time I tell you......Rhino Rider and Rhino Safari are the same company. What part of that don't you get??

I would have more sympathy for them if they hadn't messed up when I tried to pay the balance. They had no record of me paying two deposits.....and even when I provided them with transaction numbers, they were not able to process my payment correctly.....several times. That was before the hurricane.

If their computers, paperwork, etc was destroyed in the hurricane, why did they refund my balance and not the deposits? They had some type of records.....just not ALL the records....even after I again provided transaction numbers. They had access to computers/emails after the storm as they responded to several emails, just not the ones about my deposit. Explain that to me!

I still stand by my started ends and wish to warn people that when you pay for excursions way in advance, things get lost.....especially when poor accounting is involved.

Re:CW.....I have more sympathy for them as at least they communicated with me.

Just remember that I was booking for 8 people and there was a lot of money involved for the three islands that were dropped. Some of you have suggested I should have "donated" all that money to the relief efforts. To those people I ask....how much have YOU donated?

This is my last post. I do not understand the hostility from many of you....some of you apparently didn't read or don't comprehend the entire story.....but it is one I stick by and don't really care what you say or think.

ok folks, this is the last time i tell you......rhino rider and rhino safari are the same company. What part of that don't you get??

i could care less if they were/are the same company....the manner in which you have been taking pot shots to companies trying to recover from hurricane damages is imho absolutely low

i would have more sympathy for them if they hadn't messed up when i tried to pay the balance. They had no record of me paying two deposits.....and even when i provided them with transaction numbers, they were not able to process my payment correctly.....several times. That was before the hurricane.

uh huh....so if you were so discontent with them why continue with the booking ? Why not cancel then and there, and complain at that time....of course you wouldn't have if it was only about you not getting money back fast enough.

if their computers, paperwork, etc was destroyed in the hurricane, why did they refund my balance and not the deposits? They had some type of records.....just not all the records....even after i again provided transaction numbers. They had access to computers/emails after the storm as they responded to several emails, just not the ones about my deposit. Explain that to me!

i would try but nah...don't think you'd get it....just try the words intermittent services, or as i said they have better things to do right now and you are not their priority....i know i wouldn't respond to someone harassing me over a few deposits at a time like this. And it isn't that you'll be able to do them any harm badmouthing them because anyone with an ounce of common sense would understand what these businesses are going through and would be more tolerant.

i still stand by my started ends and wish to warn people that when you pay for excursions way in advance, things get lost.....especially when poor accounting is involved.

Re:cw.....i have more sympathy for them as at least they communicated with me.

really ? You said, "while i understand the devistation caused by hurricane irma, we paid almost $600 for an excursion to coral world and i'd really like to see that money again!

As our itinerary no longer includes st thomas, i requested refund. They have emailed me back saying they will get to it.....at some point in the future. In the meantime, i am out $600 with little/no recourse. It's been almost a month.

I have tried to dispute the charge on my credit card, but i booked this > 120 days ago, so the credit card company says that i need to "work with the merchant".

I could understand if coral world had no access to the internet, so could not process the refund.....but they clearly have some internet access as they can email me saying they have no idea when i will get my money back!!

I hate to sound heartless, but this is a lot of money (to me) and if they could be a tad more communicative, i'd be a tad more understanding. "

sorry but this doesn't sound very sympathetic or understanding. Matter of fact i think you described it perfectly when you said "heartless"

just remember that i was booking for 8 people and there was a lot of money involved for the three islands that were dropped. Some of you have suggested i should have "donated" all that money to the relief efforts. To those people i ask....how much have you donated?

actually, quite a bit , we could compare receipts if you'd like, but quite frankly how much you donate if anything imho is your choice. I didn't suggest you should but really to be this impatient in these circumstances is amazing to me, and this is coming from someone who is not exactly known for their patience= me

this is my last post. I do not understand the hostility from many of you....some of you apparently didn't read or don't comprehend the entire story.....but it is one i stick by and don't really care what you say or think

tis ok, and i don't blame you for not caring for what anonymous people think on a message board. I don't much either. I only jumped in because what i thought you were attempting to do to these companies was in very poor taste and they weren't here to defend themselves because....well...they're dealing with hurricane recovery. I don't however agree with your assessment that some didn't read or understand your entire story. What you don't seem to understand is that the responders did understand, and that is why you got the responses you got !