HAL newbie hoping for help with Nieuw Amstserdam Q's

ShipsInBergen

Hi All,

I'm perilously close to booking my first HAL cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam/Solo cruiser/7 night caribbean). Since I've never sailed with HAL before I was hoping you could help me out with a couple of specific questions, which as always I'm sure will be more accurately answered by CC cruisers than any call centre!

Most of my questions are specific to Nieuw Amsterdam...

- Does NA have any sauna/steam facilities included in the fare?

- Are there set opening times for the pools & hot tubs, and if so can anyone indicate roughly what these are? I love to take a swim in the late evenings when the decks are quieter :)

- Were all cabin categories refurbished during the 2017 drydock, or just the suites?

- Is 24hr room service included for all cabins?

- Is the main dining room open for lunch on port days?

I'm hoping to use this trip to completely relax (straight after a week on board Allure of the Seas; I really like RCI but always feel I need a break afterwards ;p) and so will be spending most of my time on board either strolling around the promenade, or with my feet up and a good book:). It seems like this yearning for a more peaceful experience in more restrained surroundings will be best served by HAL, but any comments from you guys would be much appreciated!

Edited by ShipsInBergen
Stray emoji...

Hi All,

I'm perilously close to booking my first HAL cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam/Solo cruiser/7 night caribbean). Since I've never sailed with HAL before I was hoping you could help me out with a couple of specific questions, which as always I'm sure will be more accurately answered by CC cruisers than any call centre!

Most of my questions are specific to Nieuw Amsterdam...

- Does NA have any sauna/steam facilities included in the fare?

- Are there set opening times for the pools & hot tubs, and if so can anyone indicate roughly what these are? I love to take a swim in the late evenings when the decks are quieter :)

- Were all cabin categories refurbished during the 2017 drydock, or just the suites?

- Is 24hr room service included for all cabins?

- Is the main dining room open for lunch on port days?

I'm hoping to use this trip to completely relax (straight after a week on board Allure of the Seas; I really like RCI but always feel I need a break afterwards ;p) and so will be spending most of my time on board either strolling around the promenade, or with my feet up and a good book:). It seems like this yearning for a more peaceful experience in more restrained surroundings will be best served by HAL, but any comments from you guys would be much appreciated!

I can’t answer all your questions but I can provide some info. Yes, there is 24 hour room service for all cabin categories, but I don’t think the mdr serves lunch on port days, however the Lido buffet is very good and offers a wide selection of different cuisines. And on port days, it’s usually not crowded and a table is easier to find. The Nieuw Amsterdam is one of my favorite ships and I think you’ll find that it will meet your expectations. Enjoy! [emoji483]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The pools open at 7am typically, hot tubs at 9am. They can be open as late as 10pm, depending on activities in the pool areas. There will be times listed in the daily program.

Room service is 24/7 for all cabins.

As mentioned, the MDR isn't usually open for lunch in port.

The pools are usually open from 7 AM - 9 PM.

The hot tubs are open from 9 AM - 10 PM.

There is a steam room that is free. Thermo pool and sauna rooms -- you pay.

Dining room is closed on port days.

There is 24 hour room service.

Can't answer about cabins being refurbished.

You may be interested in trying the Tamarind restaurant -- excellent Pan Asian food. Cost is $25.

The pools are usually open from 7 AM - 9 PM.

The hot tubs are open from 9 AM - 10 PM.

Dining room is closed on port days.

There is 24 hour room service.

Can't answer about cabins being refurbished.

You may be interested in trying the Tamarind restaurant -- excellent Pan Asian food. Cost is $25.

Totally agree on trying the Tamarind! It is an excellent restaurant! We always make reservations around the time of sunset. It has beautiful views. And the food and service are exceptional!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just cruised on NA a few weeks ago. My family is in love with this ship! It is so beautiful. SO different from RCI! The suites were refurbished during recent dry dock but not all rooms...but I'm pretty sure the other rooms did receive some new furnishings, like sofas. Hubby and I were in a SS category and our kids had an inside cabin. Honestly, they were in equally great shape and we received absolutely the same level of service.

If I remember correctly, there was a sauna that was free but the steam rooms were part of the thermal suite which cost $$.

I think a day pass, if available, is $40. They also have full cruise passes but I do not recall what the cost is for a 7 day cruise. I paid $499/couple for a recent 14 day transatlantic on the Koningsdam (I think it was maybe $399 for one person).

OP - If total relaxation is your goal you should strongly consider a full cruise thermal suite pass. The thermal suite is the quietest, calmest spot I have found on the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle class HAL ships.

I absolutely agree about Tamarind! It is our favorite HAL specialty restaurant - fantastic food and service.

I agree with everything that has been said so far!

Nieuw Amsterdam is a wonderful ship -- enjoy the New York inspired décor.

The Thermal Suite would be a wonderful splurge for you. You won't regret it.

Also, the Tamarind is well worth the extra charge.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Thanks all for the really great information! I'll definitely check out Tamarind and I think the thermal suite sounds ideal (nice to hear people feel it was worth the $$).

I've spent some more time over the weekend researching Nieuw Amsterdam, and everything I dig up just makes me more convinced that this is the ship for me...so today I'll try to get the booking confirmed, and then I can get excited to dip my toe in the water with HAL for the first time. I already have a hunch it won't be the last!

If anyone has any further hints and tips for life on Nieuw Amsterdam I'd love to hear them :D