Gin Distillery on Iona

sweep2907

Sunday Times today...

P&O gets into the spirit

Gin is the most popular drink on P&O cruises, so it makes sense that the line’s new flagship, Iona, which is due to be launched in May 2020, will be the first cruise ship to have a distillery on board. Details of exactly what will be produced are yet to be revealed, but P&O serves 30 gins in the Crow’s Nest bar on its flagship, Britannia, including its own label, Anderson’s, distilled in Edinburgh and named after the line’s co-founder, Arthur Anderson.

Bit of a daft comment on a gin thread to say you don't like gin and they all taste the same. This was posted for all those gin lovers like me out there and there are many who will be excited.

Hopefully, bearing in mind the fact that she is called Iona, they may also distil a nice malt whisky

Bit of a daft comment on a gin thread to say you don't like gin and they all taste the same. This was posted for all those gin lovers like me out there and there are many who will be excited.

If you only wanted positive replies why not include this in your original post?

Hopefully, bearing in mind the fact that she is called Iona, they may also distil a nice malt whisky

Great idea...only problem (slight,I know) you have to wait three years min until you drink it.

The beauty of gin ( from a distiller’s accountants view) is that you distil it Tuesday and sell it Wednesday.

The Harris distillery was set up as a whisky distillery but they realised that it would be 10years before they would sell any malt and therefore get any return on capital so they decided to knock out some gin...& what a hit that has been.

Raasay distillery has a different approach. Whilst their own whisky is maturing they buy in whiskies and sell a blend called ‘In the mean time’

A couple of years ago I was given a gin experience as a birthday present and went to Edinburgh to make a bottle of gin. Great fun. You select from a range of botanicals and off you go ( they use bought in grain spirit so there is no danger of any nasties.). I called my attempt Gin Ola. Caused a bit of a stir as the head distiller was a Sunderland supporter.

Edited by Ranchi
spelling error.