Major Marine 6 hr Kenai Fjords or Phillips 5 hr 26 Glacier

masterdrago

Looking at these 2 glacier tours. Am I right that Phillips (fastest catamaran in Alaska) will whisk us at breakneck speeds around Prince William Sound while Major Marine will spend an extended period (30 minutes) at a single tidewater glacier? I would sure like folks input that have taken these tours.

One more question. It looks as if both Major and Phillips use similar boats M/V Klondike Express 137 foot 332 passengers vs Spirit of Adventure new 98 foot 150 passenger. Any comments on these high capacity fas boats?

If it is the same as 2 years ago, Major Marine in Seward uses a *smaller* boat for the longer (8? hour) tour, and it was fantastic. Good combination of marine life, bird sightings, and up front and close to a glacier at the furthest point.

GC

I haven't done a boat tour from Whittier; but 4 times on the Kenai cruise. Twice we were weathered out and twice we had wonderful experiences. I liked the fact that we could sit awhile and watch a raft of otters or watch the whales rather than keep to a schedule.

If the Philips tour was the only option in Whittier I'd probably pass, but in the past there were a couple of other options. Check the Whittier Chamber of Commerce site....

The smaller boat 8.5 hr tour of Major Marine (they have moved all from Prince William Sound to Kenai Fjords) are only running after June 8. Our trip is in May. We're in Alyeska 2 days and are closer to Whittier/Prince William Sound/Phillips Cruises. We are most likely going to do the Major Marine 6 hr in Kenai even though the drive is longer(smaller boat - 85', longer tour 6vs5 hr). Major said they may run the 7.5 hr tour May 20th but we will be in Denali then (very long drive to Seward). I could be persuaded to go with the 26 Glacier tour 5hr if others see it as considerably better than the Major Marine where we will most likely only see one Tidewater glacier.

Looking at these 2 glacier tours. Am I right that Phillips (fastest catamaran in Alaska) will whisk us at breakneck speeds around Prince William Sound while Major Marine will spend an extended period (30 minutes) at a single tidewater glacier? I would sure like folks input that have taken these tours.

I would not say "breakneck" speeds but there is a lot of territory to cover. They do slow down at each glacier and if wildlife is spotted. Here is a link to my photo review of this excursion (BTW the included meal was quite good, especially the cookies):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/whittier-alaska

Thanks AKStafford. Got them on the phone and booked the "Best of Prince William Sound". I did not see them on a Bing search since they were at the bottom of the 1st page. They get very high ratings on Tripadviser but are not on the Viator page. That will save us at least 90 minutes each way travel time. The logistics of working from a Seward tour was no working from Alyeska and dropping the rent car in Seward would add a couple of grand to the rent car expense. Hertz sure works to dissuade folks from dropping anywhere except where you rent from.