How does Viking air work?

OnTheJourney

As a corollary to my other thread, I think I need to find out more on how they handle their air. I typically book air myself for any trip. What I don't like about some travel companies is that they can't guarantee you an airline seat until much closer to the trip. I do not like any uncertainty about airline seating. And, as mentioned in my other thread, if I don't book air through them, must I then purchase my own transfers?

As a corollary to my other thread, I think I need to find out more on how they handle their air. I typically book air myself for any trip. What I don't like about some travel companies is that they can't guarantee you an airline seat until much closer to the trip. I do not like any uncertainty about airline seating. And, as mentioned in my other thread, if I don't book air through them, must I then purchase my own transfers?

Yes, if you book your own air you need to find your own transportaiton to ship and airport. Ususally that means a taxi

What sailing are you doing and what is the embarkation port?

I did use Viking Air because we got a great price. Next time I will probably book my own fare for the same reason you have stated.

BTW, welcome to Viking forum.

We are sailing out of Bergen, Norway on the Northern Lights cruise. You said you got a great price, but how did the seating work? Could you choose your seats at the time of booking the air? Transportation to the ship appears to be included (what they refer to as 'arrival transfer', unless I'm mistaken.

Edited by three4rd

If you book your own air you can also book the Viking transfer for a fee. I am not sure if it changes per port but we are paying $40pp when we dock in Greenwich. Our TA arranged with Viking.

I am sure we could pay less w Uber or taxi but we did not want to deal with the hassle at the end of our trip. Let Viking deal with the details until we get to LHR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked thru Viking Air. However, we are coming in 2 days early and staying 4 additional days at the end. We were able to get our flight electronic tickets approx 70 days out. With that we direct called the airlines and switched seats. If we booked this cruise several months ago we would have upgraded. We will not have transfers since we do come in 2 days prior. No worries a Taxi will get us to the hotel. On the backside we booked a car to take us from hotel to airport. Let you know how all that works out in a few weeks.

As I posted in a different thread, the pre and post-cruise packages we're doing are all offered by Viking, so then - from what I'm being told - they set up the transfers. Not sure about how I want to arrange air...too far out yet to do it anyway. I'm just a bit leery of the idea of getting seats held, but not knowing what those seats are (until much closer to the trip), and then maybe having to change them. I like to be able to look at the airplane configurations and choose one that has a 2-3-2 configuration (or similar) so as to not wind up with us sitting in a group of 3, etc. I was on at least one plane for a long haul trip that should not have been used for that long a flight. Ever since then, guess I'm overly paranoid about it. If flying business, of course, it doesn't matter what the configuration looks like!

If you book your own air you can also book the Viking transfer for a fee. I am not sure if it changes per port but we are paying $40pp when we dock in Greenwich. Our TA arranged with Viking.

I am sure we could pay less w Uber or taxi but we did not want to deal with the hassle at the end of our trip. Let Viking deal with the details until we get to LHR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree totally...and not just for the end of the trip. I like the idea of having all pre-booked transfers for peace of mind if nothing else.