Solo female travel in Havana?

vacruizer

Cuba cruisers - would appreciate advice on Havana, tours, and safety as a solo female. I’m arriving on the NCL Sun in September. I’ve cruised solo plenty of times but Havana is new to me. The cruise line tours seem crazy expensive. What would be your thoughts on safety of booking a private tour by myself? I would love to do a classic car tour and experience the music, architecture, and art in Havana and also try some rums.

I’ve been reading a lot about solo females in Havana attracting unwanted attention (although I’m an ordinary 40 something and typically blend into a crowd.) just don’t want to end up alone somewhere I shouldn’t be. Thoughts, recommendations, and advice appreciated!

Do you speak Spanish? Are you pale or not pale?

I have darker coloring, and speak Spanish, and felt fine in Havana (and all over Latin America) but I realize that I blend in better than a lot of the population. I’m a single female in my 30’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have darker coloring, and speak Spanish, and felt fine in Havana (and all over Latin America) but I realize that I blend in better than a lot of the population. I’m a single female in my 30’s.

I am arriving in a few days on Oceania. My tour company cxld me at the last minute -perhaps they got a better deal. I am hoping to walk off the ship and hire a driver/guide in Havana. I have completed all the paperwork and have the visa. Is this possible? (I'm American). Thanks.

I’m definitely pale... and blond. :) I get by on a little tourist Spanish but am by no means fluent. I’ve always felt very comfortable in the Latin American countries I’ve visited. I just always try to check out a new destination ahead of time when traveling alone.

You'll be fine with a little Spanish. You might want to consider Strawberry Tours just to get a bit of history and culture in your days in Havana. They offer free walking tours and an evening tour and you tip them based on your enjoyment of the tour. Very nice way to meet other people as well. Enjoy.

I am arriving in a few days on Oceania. My tour company cxld me at the last minute -perhaps they got a better deal. I am hoping to walk off the ship and hire a driver/guide in Havana. I have completed all the paperwork and have the visa. Is this possible? (I'm American). Thanks.

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm blond, husband is light, we walked all over in non tourist areas & no one gave us a second look. We used Havanajourneys & loved it $100 for a day tour for 2 or 3 people. - half walking, half driving. Perhaps you could go on your roll call & find a couple to go on tour with you. Tour guide will take you to wherever you want to go,