Choosing a cabin on MSC Opera

ollienbertsmum

I am looking to book a cruise in the Eastern Med. I want to give MSC a go - because the line uses a lot of ports that are new to us which will be a change from my old favourite Norwegian Epic out of Barcelona (although I do love it).

I am a little bit of a balcony addict, however on our recent cruise to Alaska, I went into an oceanview and thought "hmm I could do this".

So although the MSC Musica has a tempting itinerary and the balcony is a great price, I am also thinking about the Opera.

I know that it is a smaller ship so what I would like some thoughts about is, if I get an oceanview, do we have lots of options for spending time outside. I don't need to be by a pool. I am not that keen on swimming in small pools. I don't want to be fighting for a lounger or engaging in towel wars with any of my fellow travellers.

I am quite keen to get used to an oceanview. I am going to be retiring in a few years time. When you look at the prices it sometimes looks like you can end up with 3 oceanviews for the price of 2 balcony cruises. That is quite a difference. Or if you look at the prices on the Opera, you can end up about £100 a day better off. These are prices that make sense.

So any thoughts on how it is on deck on the Opera.

I can not answer your question about the outside areas of MSC Opera but the price difference between Ocean View stateroom and Balcony stateroom is only $320 for 2 passengers, 05/19/2019, Eastern Med (price example from MSC USA website). I would book a balcony stateroom ;)

I can not answer your question about the outside areas of MSC Opera but the price difference between Ocean View stateroom and Balcony stateroom is only $320 for 2 passengers, 05/19/2019, Eastern Med (price example from MSC USA website). I would book a balcony stateroom ;)

Thank you for the reply SirWolf. I checked the prices on the UK website, and for that date the difference is £800 :eek::eek::eek:

There is never a real explanation about why we get the different prices apart from the different terms and conditions of the bookings. For only $320 it does make sense to get a balcony.

We are booked on Opera next May doing the eastern Med. We do have a balcony room, but my thoughts are, having only 1 sea day on the cruise, we will be off the ship most days, therefore it is only evenings on board that we will need entertaining. The reviews haven't been that great, but the ports of call are what we prioritised when booking. We go straight on to Bellissima for a western Med cruise afterwards, so it will be interesting to compare. :)

We are booked on Opera next May doing the eastern Med. We do have a balcony room, but my thoughts are, having only 1 sea day on the cruise, we will be off the ship most days, therefore it is only evenings on board that we will need entertaining. The reviews haven't been that great, but the ports of call are what we prioritised when booking. We go straight on to Bellissima for a western Med cruise afterwards, so it will be interesting to compare. :)

Nimloth, I go on cruises mainly for the ports. I don't get excited about days at sea. I have, however used my balcony early in the morning when there is a lovely sail in to a port. We eat between 8.30 and 9 pm so there is often a couple of hours at the end of the day to sit out there.

Really what I wanted to know about the Opera is if I could find somewhere nice to go and sit outside - away from a noisy pool area because I am working on writing up a thesis. Looking at the deck plans of the Opera, I am not so sure that this could happen.

At the end of the day, whichever cabin I choose, I hope that I like MSC. They offer such a range of new ports to visit rather than just Rome/Livorno/Naples and two others.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

We are also booked for May 2019 on the Opera, week of 05/19. What week are you booked? I agree the so few reviews haven't been great for the Opera but like you stated we are going for the ports. We have booked a balcony on deck 12 because we do enjoy sitting out either early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Besides some of the ports we are visiting we don't arrive until 1 or 2pm which gives us more time for the balcony.

We are also booked for May 2019 on the Opera, week of 05/19. What week are you booked? I agree the so few reviews haven't been great for the Opera but like you stated we are going for the ports. We have booked a balcony on deck 12 because we do enjoy sitting out either early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Besides some of the ports we are visiting we don't arrive until 1 or 2pm which gives us more time for the balcony.

We are sailing on 5/5/19! We are on deck 10 but I can't find any photos of our cabin, I guess they are all pretty much the same. It's lovely to be able to sit and watch the ship enter a port as the sun comes up, though as you say, some days are late arrivals. Kotor is supposed to be pretty spectacular sailing in.

Ollienbertsmum, sorry I can't help you more with your question about a quiet space. I once saw a clip of a walk around of a couple of upper decks by someone but I can't find it now. You could try searching, but I'm sure you probably have. :D

I have cruised regularly in oceanview cabins, only a few times in a balcony. I usually don't find I use the balcony much, what is important for me is the daylight and the view. All ships have plenty of places to sit outside, not necessarily by the pool, though I haven't been on the Opera. As it's a port intensive cruise you won't have much time to spend in your cabin. I would save the money, if it meant I could cruise more regularly.