Need help deciding on beach/excursion with kids

sarahsema

Okay pros...

I need some help.

We will be on a DCL cruise over New Years, with three kids, two of whom have food allergies.

We want a nice beach day, area to play or paddleboard, and a MUST is somewhere with clean bathrooms and reliable food.

And GO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's one of the busiest times of the year so all public beach bathrooms are going to be cleanliness challenged.

Morningstar Beach near the Marriott Frenchman's Reef offers the most options for food and bathrooms, but the water may be rougher than some other beaches at that time of year.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay pros...

I need some help.

We will be on a DCL cruise over New Years, with three kids, two of whom have food allergies.

We want a nice beach day, area to play or paddleboard, and a MUST is somewhere with clean bathrooms and reliable food.

And GO!!

You won't be going there after these hurricanes.

• 1 month later...
My Dec 2-9 cruise just dropped St Maarten and added St Thomas. I am also traveling with 2 kids and trying to find something to do there. I've been once but only wandered around the port area.

I would look at the revised list of shore excursions for ideas. At least you will know that those places are viable. NCL for example is now only listing 2 catamaran snorkels, various activities at Coral World, and the BOSS underwater adventure. No pure beach excursions so I would guess that the beaches aren't up to par yet. Maybe they will be by Dec.

I would look at the revised list of shore excursions for ideas. At least you will know that those places are viable. NCL for example is now only listing 2 catamaran snorkels, various activities at Coral World, and the BOSS underwater adventure. No pure beach excursions so I would guess that the beaches aren't up to par yet. Maybe they will be by Dec.

Good idea. We will be on Royal and there are only two options listed, mixed in with St Maarten excursions. Hah. Looks like they need to finish the change in their system. I will check in a couple weeks.

My Dec 2-9 cruise just dropped St Maarten and added St Thomas. I am also traveling with 2 kids and trying to find something to do there. I've been once but only wandered around the port area.

I think we're on the same cruise.

How old are your kids? I'm looking into Coral world in our 1 and 3 yr olds

I think we're on the same cruise.

How old are your kids? I'm looking into Coral world in our 1 and 3 yr olds

Mine will be a week shy of 1 and 4 years old. I will have to look in to Coral World. Is it a submarine/ semisubmersible? We probably won’t do that because we did it when my 4 year old was a baby and had a bad experience (different port) and we’re scarred!

harmony?

Coral World isn't a submarine. It's a small, sea-related, interactive park. Kids get to touch many of the creatures under supervision of the park employees and there is a small beach next door.

Thank you. I always see it paired with a submarine on excursions, so I wasnt sure if its separate or combined. I will check it out. My 4 year old would probably love it.

Coral World isn't a submarine. It's a small, sea-related, interactive park. Kids get to touch many of the creatures under supervision of the park employees and there is a small beach next door.

According to the Coral World FB page:

We are planning on being open on a very limited basis for activities and general admission starting the second week in November.

Thank you. I always see it paired with a submarine on excursions, so I wasnt sure if its separate or combined. I will check it out. My 4 year old would probably love it.

You are both correct. In addition to the marine "park", Coral World offers various activities you can pay extra for...sea lion swim, snuba, submersible, etc. They are listed on their website.

I read that Royal Caribbean is paying to clean up and repair Megan’s Bay. It’s a beautiful beach and if they are redoing it, I’m sure the bathrooms will be clean [emoji16]

We were there some time ago, so I can’t speak for the food, but there were places to eat and rent water toys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read that Royal Caribbean is paying to clean up and repair Megan’s Bay. It’s a beautiful beach and if they are redoing it, I’m sure the bathrooms will be clean [emoji16]

We were there some time ago, so I can’t speak for the food, but there were places to eat and rent water toys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read that too, but it doesn't say when it will be ready and with what facilities. NCL removed their Magen's Bay excursion for now so until the lines offer excursions there, it is probably not in good shape.

This is a great thread. I'm looking for St. Thomas as well, but we don't cruise until fall of '18. I've found that DCL doesn't cater very many shore excursions to the "under 5" crowd and it's frustrating. I'm on the hunt for kayaking on St. Thomas (or Tortola) but Coral World is an option as well.

This is a great thread. I'm looking for St. Thomas as well, but we don't cruise until fall of '18. I've found that DCL doesn't cater very many shore excursions to the "under 5" crowd and it's frustrating. I'm on the hunt for kayaking on St. Thomas (or Tortola) but Coral World is an option as well.

We’ve taken our kids on multiple cruise lines. Both mine are under 5 and we’ve run in to this problem with every cruise line [emoji22]

Following this- we are going on Cruise on Royal beginning of February and supposed to stop in St. Thomas and St. Maarten as of now.. we will have an 11 month old and wanted to go to the beach (at least) and from what I am seeing most (if not all) of the RCL excursions have a minimum age of 4 or 5 sadly. Normally we do excursions from private companies anyway but I check out the RCL offers to know what might be available...

Following this- we are going on Cruise on Royal beginning of February and supposed to stop in St. Thomas and St. Maarten as of now.. we will have an 11 month old and wanted to go to the beach (at least) and from what I am seeing most (if not all) of the RCL excursions have a minimum age of 4 or 5 sadly. Normally we do excursions from private companies anyway but I check out the RCL offers to know what might be available...

We found a private taxi at the dock that drove us out to Magen’s Bay in 2016. We arranged the time or a pickup before we got out to the beach. It was perfect!

Having traveled to St. Thomas numerous times in the past, we have found that Coral World and Coki Beach (right next to each other) are very good for the kids. Its the one stop my kids haven't stopped talking about after our last trip. It was the best part of our vacation. We were told to grab a box of cherries from the Wind Jammer to feed the fish at Coki. The kids loved everything about it. Great taxi service to and from, great staff on Coki and great information at Coral World. We were just there in May and our kids were 9 and 3.

My husband and I are traveling again in February just the 2 of us and are hoping that Coral World and Coki are back up to speed. Our vacation wouldn't be the same without a trip there.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if Coral world is open yet.. I do not see any shore excursions listed to Coral World in RCI Cruise planner.

I had heard that it is yet I could not find any excursions there for my cruise that leaves on Saturday :(

And wRoyal Caribbean ships docking at Crown Bay it would leave us a pretty far distance from the Havensight area to explore and to go on the lsky ride thing.

I had heard that it is yet I could not find any excursions there for my cruise that leaves on Saturday :(

And wRoyal Caribbean ships docking at Crown Bay it would leave us a pretty far distance from the Havensight area to explore and to go on the lsky ride thing.

I e-mailed Skyride not long ago and it is remained closed. They said there is still no power up the mountain so they could not really do any recovery works.

I e-mailed Skyride not long ago and it is remained closed. They said there is still no power up the mountain so they could not really do any recovery works.

Thank you. I checked the website out a few days ago and there wasn’t any indication they were closed.

We won’t attempt to head there then!