HOHO Athens

nonni2

After driving myself nuts, looking at the HOHO options in Athens (Viator, Shore Excursions LLC, and HOHObus.com), each with slightly different details, I have learned they are merely ticket sellers for the same bus line. Thus, I went right to the source - citysighseeing.gr. According to their web site, the prices are 1/3 less than the resellers, and there's a 10% discount for booking online. I do prefer to book directly, whenever possible, but two of the resellers offered a 24 hr + free day (I wonder if that would actually happen, given that the bus company only provides the 24-hour option).

Other than the 10%, does anyone know if there's an advantage to booking ahead for the Athens HOHO buses?

I would not book ahead in Athens. There are at least 3, if not 4 companies with different coloured buses running the tours and they do a very similar route. ALL will do the mist important sites.

For the city loops there will be one bus or another every fee minutes. For the loops to Piraeus or the beaches every half hour or so.

Especially the red and yellow companies seem to have dozens of buses on the road.

Really no need to book ahead. Just grab a ticket from the staff at a stop it from the driver.

I'd take my own head phones because the disposable ones you get on the bus are pretty ordinary

PS: it seems to be the norm that if you buy a ticket after 3 pm, you get to use them on that day of course PLUS the whole next day.

And if you keep your ticket receipt you get a discount with the same company in another city!

After driving myself nuts, looking at the HOHO options in Athens (Viator, Shore Excursions LLC, and HOHObus.com), each with slightly different details, I have learned they are merely ticket sellers for the same bus line. Thus, I went right to the source - citysighseeing.gr. According to their web site, the prices are 1/3 less than the resellers, and there's a 10% discount for booking online. I do prefer to book directly, whenever possible, but two of the resellers offered a 24 hr + free day (I wonder if that would actually happen, given that the bus company only provides the 24-hour option).

Other than the 10%, does anyone know if there's an advantage to booking ahead for the Athens HOHO buses?

No need to book ahead. Plenty of them in port.

I prefer booking in advance, not only to get the 10% discount, but so that I have pre-purchased as much as possible before my trip, so I am not constantly shelling out cash during my trip and running to an ATM. Only works if you are certain of your itinerary and plans, but I believe once you purchase a ticket from City Sightseeing, it is valid for use within 3 months of booking. So if your plans change slightly, you can still take the tour.

"Tickets are valid for two operating days after redemption of the E-Ticket .

Your E-Ticket is valid and redeemable for up to 3 months as of your booking"

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Viator in Paris, and all over Italy and never had a problem. I used Visitor because of the price and the free extra day. You just hand the driver the printed voucher and he will give you a ticket. It super simple.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app