Plane Ticket printouts

what airline requires a paper ticket? If you do need, you walk up to the counter, prove who you are and one is printed for you. No one is denied boarding

NO, a true paper ticket is like a bearer bond. It has the value of the amount paid for it. If you lose it, you LOST YOUR MONEY. Just like losing cash.

These days, tickets are typically electronic, and you get a BOARDING pass. Lose this, they print a new one.

I agree, paper tickets are seldom used these days, but in some parts of the world, they make life easier when the computers are down. And some parts of the world, that is often.

No airline requires a paper ticket. I am just saying, I have run into instances where having a paper ticket allowed me to board and fly, where people with e-tickets were left behind. Paper tickets are still valid, and can be obtained.

ARC, the Airlines Reporting Corporation, will no longer process paper tickets. They process tickets for over 200 Airlines, so I would say paper tickets are a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I check in on my app but primarily because it used to be a tie breaker for complimentary upgrades in my FF program and I became programmed to check in at T-24 hrs. Once checked in on the app I can check for better seats, watch upgrade lists, etc. Despite having checked in on the app, I generally request a printed Board Pass when dropping off checked luggage. Couple reasons:

TSA is incompetent. As a frequent flier there is no consistency across the country. Not all airports have dedicated Pre lines and in some cases they are mingled with regular fliers. In some airports you need a paper BP with Pre on it to avoid having to take off your shoes, belt, etc. since you can't walk through the metal detector with your phone to show the TSA agent standing there you are Pre. Paper BP? No problem. Hand it to them, let them scribble on it, no problem. Phone screen doesn't darken upon scanning and I don't risk dropping my phone trying to place it on their scanner. Sure they are supposed to have cards they give to Pre candidates but sometimes they run out and haven't cycled them back to the start in time. When it comes to TSA, paper is just easier.

I can stuff a paper BP in my back pocket. When it's time to board it's easy to grab and I don't risk dropping my phone or that dreaded gate agent who tries to grab my phone to scan it. I don't have to worry about my screen going dark right when I step up to the scanner. It's like phones sense you flipping them over and they go dark thinking you are done with them. Paper is just easier and my phone stays safely in my pocket.

When someone tried to say I'm in their seat it's a lot easier pulling out a paper BP and saying 'nope'. If a gate agent comes on board to upgrade me and needs my BP I hand her the paper copy. I've got it on my phone as backup so no worries handing over the paper copy.

Apps lock up at the worst moments and often there is lousy coverage in airports to try to log on and access you BP again. Sure a screen shot can be a backup but with a paper BP my phone is my backup BP so it doesn't matter.

Phone batteries die, apps act weird, phone is dropped and you are SOL. Back to the counter to get a printed BP.

Computers go down. With a paper BP they can tear off one side and I am safely on board.

When mobile check in first came out it was cool. Look at me, no paper. Now I'm past that and I use a paper BP.

Having said that, I just get the paper BP at the airport when I check my luggage or at a kiosk if I am carrying on.

Same with Southwest. You just need to check in at T-24hrs, not print your BP at T-24 hrs. Having checked in your boarding position is set. Get a paper BP at the airport.