What to Do If Your Scooter Breaks Down?

kitty9

I'm just looking for some ideas here as to what you'd do if your scooter ever broke down on a cruise? I had my scooter break down, fortunately on the flight home from a cruise, so it didn't affect me as badly as it would have if it had happened at the beginning. So, what would you do if this happened?

My DH travels with a simple repair kit (I am not at all technical minded) that includes screwdrivers with different heads, small wrench, and the belt for the drive of my travelscoot. We have never had to use the kit he brings but he feels he could do minor repairs. This would not help if it had a major problem or if it was squashed by the airline.

Hi Darcie, cruise ships carry a few wheelchairs for passenger use. In the case of a breakdown I'm sure they would loan you one. My wife is a hemiplegic and must have a chair so we take our own manual chair in-case of a breakdown. On one cruise we had a problem and the ship's engineering Dept. helped us. Good luck and happy cruising, eded

I beleive that Katisdale travels with a Travelscoot which has a repair kit.

Most other scooters do not have repair kits, as they are a more complex motor design. Suggest you copy the page in your owners manual that that notes what to trouble shoot check if the scooter is not working. Other than that there's not much you can do. Other than attempt to borrow a wheelchair from ship if they allow it. If you rented the scooter than you need to ask for refund due to equipment failure.

My mother uses a power wheelchair, not a scooter, but we ALWAYS take a manual wheelchair in addition. Not only does this serve as a back-up for any power chair breakdowns (yes, she would have to be manually pushed by someone else, but it is better than nothing!), but it is also much more useful ashore in most ports than a powered chair or scooter due to accessibility problems with transportation, lack of curb cuts, and lack of ramps/lots of steps into many shops, museums, etc.

When boarding the ship, the manual chair is a handy (although large) luggage cart for all of our carry-ons. We keep everything in place with a bungie cord. It is a folding Quickie II chair, so in an accessible cabin it folds and stores pretty easily, and because it has quick-release wheels and removable foot rests, we can quickly disassemble it to get it into a car or taxi as well.

The problem is, I'm going on this cruise as a solo, so I can't depend on a manual wheelchair. I think I will take the scooter to the store where I purchased it, and have them give it a good going over.

BTW, how long do the original batteries last? Mine are now just over a year old, and I've noticed that they do not keep a charge nearly as long as they used to.

The problem is, I'm going on this cruise as a solo, so I can't depend on a manual wheelchair. I think I will take the scooter to the store where I purchased it, and have them give it a good going over.

BTW, how long do the original batteries last? Mine are now just over a year old, and I've noticed that they do not keep a charge nearly as long as they used to.

Usage, how it's being stored, frequency of charging are just a few things the impact the battery life . So battery life can vary. When you take the scooter in to be checked out, also have them do a battery charge test. They'll be able to tell you how much life is left and whether or not you need to be thinking about replacing the batteries. BTW batteries are generally more expensive through the dealer. You might want to shop around for prices before purchasing through the dealer if needed. Suggest you check to see if there's a Batteries Plus store in your area.

Darcie, I see your point.

Can you do a last minute scooter rental once on board?

Never heard of this being possible once already on board because the scooter rental companies generally require advance booking. In fact they prefer 30 days advanced booking. The ship does not have any scooters on board for rent.

Darcie, you were asking about battery life and noticing that your year-old is not holding a charge as well as it used to. We have had the same problem and, if we are going on a cruise, we always get a new battery just to be on the safe side. We got wise only after having the battery discharge when we were at the other end of the ship from our accessible cabin; having to be pushed with the gear in manual made us learn the hard way. Our maintenance company tells us that after a year, it is risky if you dont replace the batteries:)

I was on a cruise a few years ago and one of our tablemates scooter broke down. Her cabin steward took it and some of the crew fixed it for her. I thought that was so nice. I would hope that if we had problems they could help us.:eek: That was on Royal.

Carrie

We got a great deal and good service on batteries and other parts at monsterscooterparts.com. but call, don't do online order, they will work with you on shipping etc.

Thank you for the information. Prices appear to be better than most other on-line sites. They're definitely better than most brick & mortor retailers. Looks as though I can replace my 2 batteries with shipping for about the cost of what others charge for just 1 battery.

Archived