What is there to do in Costa Maya?

chiledog

Excursions that go to Mayan Ruins, especially if you can go to Tulum. Bring a swim suit cuz there's a great beach right under the little pyramid (there is only one pyramid there). Xel-Ha is really nice, I didn't think I'd like it but I LOVED it.

Have fun!

We went to the Chacobben ruins via the ship tour. Very enjoyable.

Also, a lot of good things have been said about Majuhal (not spelled right) which is the town nearby. Maybe someone who has been there can tell you more about it.

We spent the day in Majahaul (sp?), right on the beach. It was fairly

inexpensive when compared to those who stayed in the area right

by the dock for the day. ( Food, drink and shopping-wise. ) There are

lots of neat places to enjoy and lots of the locals with crafts, hairbraiding,

etc. We enjoyed it, and hope to go there again one day. It was a lot

different than Cozumel, that's for sure!

The excursions to the ruins were very popular, and also enjoyable from

what I heard.

Hope you consider the ruins there. I was there last year and there is a "live excavation" site and we could watch for awhile. The lead archaeologist was there and we met him. There were several ruins that were already excavated It was wonderful, the drive there was long but the tour director had beer so we wereidn't notice too much great. I really want to go back to see that again. Have a great time, Joyce.

We loved Majahaul! I just wrote a long description of it for you and my reply was bleeped into cyberspace!:(

So, because I have limited time now, I will direct you to my review of the EOS which has a detailed description of our day in Costa Maya. Also, you can click on the link in my signature for pictures of Majahaul. Just go to my Explorer of the Seas Album.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=11125

There really is all that much there, as you can see by the posts mentioning the same excursions. As others have said, we too loved the ruins. If you like history, it's very interesting to see how this culture used to live. They also have a shop there to buy some pretty neat things. They will bargain with you big time too. The item we purchased started at about $50. We got it for $10.

Took a 3 minute cab ride into “town” and beach. $5 round-trip. Don't miss getting a massage on the beach for $35 for an hour - the best massage I have ever had! Under a tent with the ocean just a few feet away – what a relaxing experience. Beats the $145 charge on the ship for a massage. We walked all the way to the end of the beach for a place that was less crowded and had table service with great margaritas ($3.00) , chips and salsa. No charge for chairs, umbrella’s etc – and the people were very nice and hospitable.

I highly recommend gonole 's advice. We did the same thing and had the best time.Especially the massage. Our 2 grandchildren ages 11 and 13 loved swimming while we relaxed under trees in our lounge chairs. The natives were so friendly and got us drinks and food.

I LOVE Costa Maya.

I have heard the ruins were better there than Tulum.

My favorite thing to do is get up early and head over to Majahaul (sp?). We went straight to Tappa's Bar at 9:30 AM. They only have a few beach chairs, so getting there early is the trick.

Pic of Tappa's and Costa Maya:

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/dsc_1426.html

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/dsc_1441.html

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/dsc_1418.html

We sat there all day, drank Corona for hours and had lunch. Our bill was around $40 at the end of the day ;) The shopping at the port is also pretty cheap for souvenier type stuff.

My kind of excursion! :D

If you like Corona beer, there is a liquor store in town directly across from the beach that sold us ice-cold quart-size beers for $5 each. Like others, we just hung out at the beach all day and soaked in the sun and water! There is a public pool at the dock shopping area. When we first passed this pool in the morning, it looked like a great place to cool off. After we returned from town, the pool was crowded and the water quality was less than desirable!

Took a 3 minute cab ride into “town” and beach. $5 round-trip. Don't miss getting a massage on the beach for $35 for an hour - the best massage I have ever had! Under a tent with the ocean just a few feet away – what a relaxing experience. Beats the $145 charge on the ship for a massage. We walked all the way to the end of the beach for a place that was less crowded and had table service with great margaritas ($3.00) , chips and salsa. No charge for chairs, umbrella’s etc – and the people were very nice and hospitable.

Best ever massages. $20 for 30 minutes

Costa Maya was my favorite port. Everyone there said its Cozumel before it was overrun with tourism. We went to the beach at Majahual.If you walk down to the far end its much quieter and there is a great little outside bar. We got a massage, very relaxing. It was soooooooo beautiful! Wish my next cruise had this in the itinerary...have fun

The pier from the ship leads you to a compound type of buildings. These are for ship's passengers only. There are plenty of free deck chairs to sun and swim in the ocean. Smaller shops like Diamonds International etc. are around the outside of the compound and local stuff in the middle. They usually have folk dancers and live music.

After you bargin with the shops, rent a golf cart and drive yourself to the beach. The golf carts are located behind the pink wall just to the right as you go in the gate from the pier. We rented the cart for $30 - $40 US and they gave us directions to the real beach. You can get deck chairs, food, cold beer, massages, and cheaper jewelry and gifts at the beach. When you return back to the 'compound' we had to show our ship id. They don't allow locals that are not working at the compound in at anytime. It is a beautiful area, great for pictures and last minute buys.

I will definitely do an excursion to some ruins the next time I go back. the port area is tacky-touristy (and the pool looked quite murky) and the "village" is littered with trash and broken glass. I was shocked! We walked the gauntlet and enjoyed a couple of beers at "the last place on the left" and then headed back to the ship. The bartender there was very nice and friendly but otherwise we just didn't enjoy this port very much (and I am a beach person).

First book a tour directly with David or Ivan of the ruins at

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/, they are super great guides for half the price of RCCL. Then when yu return sit at a beach bar, drinking and having delicious salsa and chips with your toes in the water.Sublime. Very laid back. Stay away from the agressive merchants unless you like that sort of stuff.

Hvae fun!

Archived