Scooter use in Asia

tommui987

We are thinking of a cruise from Shanghai to Hong Kong with the port stops mainly in Japan, Taiwan, one in Busan/Pusan and Manilla.

Has anyone had experience using a scooter in those places?

I had used scooters in Spain and Italy as well as on the ship - really a life saver!

Shanghai: Actually we flew into Beijing and spent a couple days. Then to Xi'an and Shanghai. We did not experience any problems in China, however Ruth was carried a couple places including up on the Great Wall.

Japan: Kobe, Hakodate, Otaru and Aomori were all very easy to get around on our own. Some of the curb cutouts were in strange places, regardless very doable. Public restrooms all very clean and toilets computerized. People were all very pleasant and extremely polite.

Hong Kong: Also very easy to get around in. Victoria Peak is worth a visit. We took the ferry across and then the Peak Tram (funicular) to the top.

Have not been to other ports on your list.

Barcelona is one of the easiest places for the handicap to get around and Italy had made a lot of improvements.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We are thinking of a cruise from Shanghai to Hong Kong with the port stops mainly in Japan, Taiwan, one in Busan/Pusan and Manilla.

Has anyone had experience using a scooter in those places?

I had used scooters in Spain and Italy as well as on the ship - really a life saver!

RE: Hong Kong

• Unless things have changed recently there's only one cab company that has accessible vehicles and only has 5 5. The company is Diamond Cab Company.
  • Most MTR stations ( underground subway) are accessible. Most stations are equipped with elevators and or ramps . In a few instances there may only be escalators. The gap between the platform and the train can be difficult to cross for some scooters/wheelchairs. In this case you need to locate a MTR employee to request a portable ramp and also request that the same employee call ahead to your destination station to have a ramp ready.
  • The city bus system for the most part is accessible, but a number of routes are not served by lowered floor buses with wheelchair ramps. The vast majority of bus service on Hong Kong Island and in central Kowloon is accessible.
  • Trams on the northern side of Hong Kong Island are not accessible.
  • If doing a post cruise stay in Hong Kong it's always best to speak with the Hotel Concierge prior to venturing out on your own with the scooter.
  • The Star Ferry which is by the cheapest and fastest way to travel from Kong Island to Kowloon ais accessible.
  • Most of the private ferries servicing many of the out islands are accessible.
  • Important to note that bus service to Hong Kong Intl Airport is serviced mainly by older vehicles that are not accessible.
  • If doing a pre or post cruise stay in Hong Kong it's always best to speak with the hotel concierge prior to venturing out to make certain you've planned an accessible route.
  • Wheelchair accessible washrooms are at times difficult to find. When in doubt head to the nearest western hotel chain such as Marriott, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt.
  • Most of the little independent shops are not accessible.

RE: Taiwan

• In general Taiwan is not a very disabled-friendly environment.
  • Street footpaths are uneven, kerbs are steep, and public transport, other than the MRT and HSR, is not equipped with wheelchair access.
  • In Taipei Government buildings ,hospitals, universities, and major department stores generally have ramps and elevators .Though the majority of shops that are not department stores and are multi level are not accessible.
  • Taipei has slowly been changing bus to ones with a lowered floor for accessibility but you need to check the routes.

We both own our scooters. Ruth was a full time user and I have to use mine when active (active can be a short walk). The small scooters are not that expensive and definitely worth the value. Depending on how long or often you rent one, you might be able to purchase one for the same cost.

If scooters are new to you, you might want to do a little test driving. In my opinion, if you know how to ride a bicycle, you can drive a small three wheel scooter.

Enjoy your trip,

Betty

Betty:

Did Ruth have her own scooter or was it rented? If rented, who did you use?

Thanks!

RE : Renting

You must use the cruise lines authorized vendor. However with Asia that's going to be difficult. Scooteraround does not provide any rentals out of any Asian ports. SpecialNeedsatSeas only provides rentals out of Singapore but does not have a facility in Hong Kong. You'll have to contact SpecialNeedsatSea to inquiry if you'll be able to rent a scooter embarking from Singapore and leaving it in Hong Kong upon disembarkation. SpecialNeedsatSea might only be able to provide rentals for round trip cruises embarking/disembarking Singapore.

We are leaving Asia today after spending a month in Japan Korea and China. We did not take my smartscoot because domestic flights in China do not permit lithium batteries

The scooter would have been useless. The crowds the uneven pavement and steps are not conducive to a scooter. You don’t see scooters in Asia for good reason

We bought a great Transfer chair made by nova for use on tours from the cruise ship and in Japan and Korea We had all private tours

My wife booked a private tour in china (2 weeks) and included in the china portion was a wheelchair and a pusher. I don’t use a wheelchair at home but her idea was brilliant. I could see everything and negotiate difficult places. Keep in mind that I can walk steps and shorter distances. I had to walk up and down a lot of steps. If you are totally immobile not sure it’s doable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums